Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 5G UWB and Samsung Galaxy S20 plus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    168
    Device(s)
    Samsung Gallaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    5G UWB and Samsung Galaxy S20 plus

    Does anyone know whether Samsung Galaxy S20 plus would ever be able to use C-Band on Verizon?
    I have heard people saying it is possible via a software update but could not find enough literature on the web to corroborate that.
    I really would like to use the C-Band but still want to use my S20+ for a little longer.
    Any info would be appreciated.

    Sent from my SM-G986U using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,931
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nope. It was never certified for it and there are no documents showing permissive change or recertification. Unfortunately, you'll have to upgrade the device to utilize C-band.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    168
    Device(s)
    Samsung Gallaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you. This helps a lot.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,561
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Nope. It was never certified for it and there are no documents showing permissive change or recertification. Unfortunately, you'll have to upgrade the device to utilize C-band.
    doesn't have the radios for it since it wasn't thing back when it was made. So no amount of software can make it available. The S21 or iPhone 12 were really the first 5G phones anyone should have bought if 5G was a reason they bought a phone. And even the iPhone 12 can't do 5G carrier aggregation whenever Verizon makes that a thing

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,931
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    doesn't have the radios for it since it wasn't thing back when it was made. So no amount of software can make it available. The S21 or iPhone 12 were really the first 5G phones anyone should have bought if 5G was a reason they bought a phone. And even the iPhone 12 can't do 5G carrier aggregation whenever Verizon makes that a thing
    The international Exynos variant of the S20 (SM-G986B) supports n77/n78, but U.S. carriers didn't request certification at that time. The US variant has the Qualcomm x55 chipset which I don't see a hardware limitation for C band not being supported technically, but given the track record of device manufacturers and carriers they want people to upgrade frequently. Verizon has non-standalone NR CA deployed in some areas.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,561
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    The international Exynos variant of the S20 (SM-G986B) supports n77/n78, but U.S. carriers didn't request certification at that time. The US variant has the Qualcomm x55 chipset which I don't see a hardware limitation for C band not being supported technically, but given the track record of device manufacturers and carriers they want people to upgrade frequently. Verizon has non-standalone NR CA deployed in some areas.
    Considering we are at 3 months into the S22 lifecycle Samsung is in no way going to go through the process of rectifying anything. C-band auction was announced in March 2020( the same time the S20 came out )and the auction took place later that year. They could have easily had it certified from the start or shortly thereafter if they cared.

    NSA CA within 5G bands? That's what I'm talking about. Not CA merging 4G and 5G bands. I'm pretty sure the iPhone 12 can not merge mmwave and non-mmwave 5G bands and by the time that is ubiquitous most will have upgraded anyway

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,931
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Correct, the iPhone 12 cannot aggregate 2 NR bands. The 13 can. Yup, VZW is running NSA NR-CA. This is a screenshot I took a few months in my market. AT&T isn't running this combo yet.

    Name:  Screenshot_20220127-104626_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  28.2 KB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,599
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Speaking of NR-CA, will Verizon begin using n48 anytime soon or will they keep all their CBRS on LTE both to bolster the LTE network's capacity and to circumvent the first few generations of 5G devices' absent to paltry 5G CA capabilities?

    Sure they could do DSS on CBRS, but honestly at this point DSS only seems worth it to me when you're running 5G SA and therefore can't aggregate any LTE bands or if you've got both CLR blocks and want to use them as a single channel rather than two. They could also just use GAA spectrum for n48, but I'm not sure how much GAA spectrum Verizon can realistically use — how busy is the rest of the CBRS band, and would they face any penalties or bad press for "hogging" most of the available 150 MHz of CBRS?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    901
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Speaking of NR-CA, will Verizon begin using n48 anytime soon or will they keep all their CBRS on LTE both to bolster the LTE network's capacity and to circumvent the first few generations of 5G devices' absent to paltry 5G CA capabilities?

    Sure they could do DSS on CBRS, but honestly at this point DSS only seems worth it to me when you're running 5G SA and therefore can't aggregate any LTE bands or if you've got both CLR blocks and want to use them as a single channel rather than two. They could also just use GAA spectrum for n48, but I'm not sure how much GAA spectrum Verizon can realistically use — how busy is the rest of the CBRS band, and would they face any penalties or bad press for "hogging" most of the available 150 MHz of CBRS?
    I always thought that Verizon could run the CBRS PAL licenses on b48 and the GAA portion could run n48. This would make sense (especially around airports where they are limited with c-band power levels). They could treat the GAA portion of n48 as a 5G capacity/speed bump.

    The whole power limit of CBRS kinda baffles me. Sure in the heart of a big city where everyone is competing to use that free spectrum it makes sense but once you get more rural that competition drops way down. Once you get more rural tower spacing on all carriers gets larger which greatly reduces interference and risk of competing for spectrum access. IMO in rural settings the power levels on CBRS should be cranked way up.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,599
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, I think a 100 MHz n48 GAA carrier would be a fantastic capacity layer on top of B48 PAL/GAA, especially since n48 and B48 can be aggregated with each other just like n5 and B5, n2 and B2, and n66 and B66.

Similar Threads

  1. How to unlock an AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 PLUS (SM-G986U) - FAST AND EASY GUIDE
    By Express Unlocks in forum attunlockcode.com - Unlock Your Mobile With Any Carrier | Best Online Phone Codes | Fastest Response Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2020, 11:10 AM
  2. How to unlock a Sprint SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 PLUS (SM-G986U) - FAST AND EASY GUIDE
    By Express Unlocks in forum attunlockcode.com - Unlock Your Mobile With Any Carrier | Best Online Phone Codes | Fastest Response Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2020, 12:58 PM
  3. How to unlock an XFINITY SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 PLUS (SM-G986U) - FAST AND EASY GUIDE
    By Express Unlocks in forum attunlockcode.com - Unlock Your Mobile With Any Carrier | Best Online Phone Codes | Fastest Response Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM
  4. How to unlock an XFINITY SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 PLUS (SM-G986U) - FAST AND EASY GUIDE
    By Express Unlocks in forum attunlockcode.com - Unlock Your Mobile With Any Carrier | Best Online Phone Codes | Fastest Response Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2020, 02:03 PM
  5. How to unlock Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Plus) by Unlock Code
    By Codes2unlock in forum Codes2unlock.com - Unlock Your Phone Easily and Safely
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2020, 02:21 AM

Bookmarks