Thread: How to make international calls while overseas?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

How to make international calls while overseas?

I'm in France.
    I'm using a data only international sim.

I discovered I can't make phone calls with Google voice.
    I'm trying to call a local tour company for a tour.

Want can't I make a call?
    Data is working.

How can I make a call while overseas?

Feedback Score
    Calling is only free to US and Canada. You will need a balance deposit in GV and enter the number with the country code - +33 for France.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Calling is only free to US and Canada. You will need a balance deposit in GV and enter the number with the country code - +33 for France.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app
    oh wow! all these years using GV and i never knew that.
    that would have changed my decision on buying a prepaid data only international sim (1yr expiration).

Could I have done wifi calling with GV?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    that would have changed my decision on buying a prepaid data only international sim (1yr expiration).

You can do the calls with Wifi, but still only free to US and Canada. Other countries still cost, Wifi or not.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have a vague impression that quite a few businesses in Europe might have the ability to be contacted through alternate means, meaning whatsapp, telegram, Skype, etc.. The hitch would be knowing the contact handle, number, or whatever format for a given platform they might be using (if any). You'd have to check online and maybe they'd have it posted on their websites or Facebook pages. Then you'd get that app and use your Wi-Fi that way, bypassing the phone network.

Feedback Score

You need data of some kind to use GV, if you can't link it to a US phone #, such as is generally the case when you're traveling outside the US. So you would need that international SIM card to use GV when you're not connected to WiFi, such as if you're traveling in a car, train, or bus without WiFi.

If you don't care about using GV while you're away from WiFi, then yes, you could use GV over WiFi only, and an international data SIM card wouldn't have been needed.

Obviously, whacker's suggestion would eliminate the need to make a traditional phone call, if the business in question offers an alternative like one of those whacker listed.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If you don't care about using GV while you're away from WiFi, then yes, you could use GV over WiFi only, and an international data SIM card wouldn't have been needed.
    But if I didn't have $ on my gv acct, then I still need a regular (data+voice) international sim to make international phone calls?
    Ie: France

Feedback Score
    But if I didn't have $ on my gv acct, then I still need a regular (data+voice) international sim to make international phone calls?
    Ie: France
    Correct.

I added $10 in 2014, and after a few calls each year over the last 8 years, I still have $5 remaining. But as already mentioned, France landlines are only $0.01/min, as are calls to a number of other countries, so a $10 credit should last quite a while.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Correct.

I added $10 in 2014, and after a few calls each year over the last 8 years, I still have $5 remaining. But as already mentioned, France landlines are only $0.01/min, as are calls to a number of other countries, so a $10 credit should last quite a while.
    so i added $ to gv and tried to call +44 844 585 4444 (tour company) but no ringtone and call dropped.
    tried several times. same result

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Correct.

update:
    added $ to gv.
    i couldnt make the international call using gv on keepgo data only sim. (no dial tone and call got dropped.)

nor could i make the call on gv while on wifi if i turn off data.
    Got this error msg:
    "Your internet connection is unstable.
    GV has to place this call through your carrier network"
    since my carrier is data only, it didnt work.

but i could make the call on gv while on wifi if i went on airplane mode?! (england is .18/min)
    What happened to internet connection being unstable?!?!

Anyway, So why couldnt i make the international call on gv while using my data only sim?
    (gv should be using internet to make the call.)

Feedback Score
    It could be as simple as the Keego data was actually unstable. What server location was Keego using at the time?

I use my GV # over data only 100% of the time (I have no forwarding #). In the US, when away from WiFi, I use a T-Mobile data only SIM in my phone, and I also use a FP AT&T SIM in a Unite hotspot. Both work equally well.

In Europe, I used the T-Mobile data only SIM with the included 128 Kbps unlimited international data, and it worked fine.

Regarding the rate to call England, there's a pretty large range of rates for the United Kingdom according to https://voice.google.com/u/0/rates, from $0.01/min to $2.50/min, but the majority are listed at $0.01. "United Kingdom - NGN - 870" and "United Kingdom - NGN - Local" are listed at $0.18/min.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    It could be as simple as the Keego data was actually unstable. What server location was Keego using at the time?

I use my GV # over data only 100% of the time (I have no forwarding #).
    No idea about which server.
    Hmm.. next time I'll remove the gv forwarding # on my phone's default dialing app when I'm on KeepGo.

Although why would that matter??

Feedback Score
    No idea about which server.
    Hmm.. next time I'll remove the gv forwarding # on my phone's default dialing app when I'm on KeepGo.

Although why would that matter??
    It doesn't matter, as long as you have your GV app set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data".

I'm just telling you that using GV over data only works okay for me, and if it doesn't work well for you using Keepgo data, but it does using WiFi data, it's possible the Keepgo data isn't stable enough, at least in that particular location, for VoIP.