Thread: New Developments in Nebraska?

Feedback Score

New Developments in Nebraska?

I realize that Nebraska is pretty much a black hole for T-Mobile, as it is for AT&T as well, but recently these new areas coverage indications have started showing up on T-Mobile's coverage maps, and it is not entirely clear what type of coverage they are. They are located in the cross-hatched roaming areas, but the color is hard to pick out and associate it with one of the categories in the map legend. So my question is what type of coverage is this? Is this some sort of new native T-Mobile coverage finally being built out in Nebraska or is it something new being done by a roaming partner?

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.34.47 AM.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  136.4 KB

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

New Developments in Nebraska?

It’s former Sprint native LTE coverage being migrated over. There used to also be some native coverage for Sprint on I-80 from Kearney to Lincoln, but that hasn’t shown up on T-Mobile native coverage maps yet.

I presume there will eventually be 5G coverage in City centers of the former Sprint coverage, since they likely had Sprint band 41.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While TMO is putting up some sites (or converting Sprint sites) in that area, the darker areas with the cross hatching is likely 5G roaming on US Cellular.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr3021 View Post
    While TMO is putting up some sites (or converting Sprint sites) in that area, the darker areas with the cross hatching is likely 5G roaming on US Cellular.
    Correct. It's USCC 5G.

Feedback Score
    These explanations make sense. There are some similar areas showing up in Iowa and other states as well, that might indicate 5G roaming on other carriers. Up and down the middle of the country, T-Mobile has done very few mid-band upgrades, with the Dakotas, Nebraska, western Kansas and northwest Oklahoma, along with Wyoming, Montana, all places where 5G UC just doesn't exist, these are places where Sprint never had coverage to begin with, so it is good to see T-Mobile at least getting some 5G roaming out to customers in some places where they provide no service at all.

Sprint's actual native network was very tiny and pretty much ignored the middle of the country, so even though T-Mobile has a lot of good mid-band spectrum to use, in this part of the world, it requires new infrastructure instead of just upgrading existing infrastructure.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    Sprint's actual native network was very tiny and pretty much ignored the middle of the country, so even though T-Mobile has a lot of good mid-band spectrum to use, in this part of the world, it requires new infrastructure instead of just upgrading existing infrastructure.
    Yes... with exception of some midwest states (Ohio/Illinois/Minnesota, much of the east coast, east of the Appalachians, Florida, Mississippi valley, urban/suburban west coast. Much of the rest is 'urban' only or interstate - according to their map. Sprint had a lot of roaming with other carriers outside those locations.
    TBH, I was actually impressed on the east coast (WV through PA) at how often I was roaming on Sprint last summer.
    I hope that T-Mobile converts much of that to native.
    Last edited by formercanuck; 05-12-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.