Thread: How to activate an iPhone without the original sim

Feedback Score

How to activate an iPhone without the original sim

I bought an iPhone 6s from Tracfone.com some time ago. I only used it as an iPod and have lost the original sim card coming with the phone.

In order to take advantage of the new 60-day unlocking policy, how can I activate it? The activation page only asked for the IMEI but not the ICCID/sim#, but I don't know which ICCID/sim# is the matching the IMEI.

Thank you for your advice!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I lost the original Tracfone branded sim with an old unlocked TF branded iPhone and I used a TF/Verizon BYOP sim to reactivate it.

I used the chat to do it and I explained to the rep that I lost the branded sim the phone came with and asked if the BYOP sim could be used to replace the original branded sim. The rep said sure, and the rep then asked for BYOP sim number and IMEI and then stated he associated the IMEI with the new BYOP sim.

After, the phone behaved just like a TF branded phone showing the phone icon in the account management area (instead of the BYOP symbol) - this was on the old website - and also was offered the $49.99 365 day add on in the account checkout cart which is only offered to branded phones.

This was an old TF iPhone that was already unlocked so I did not ask if replacing the sim like this will allow the phone to be unlocked in 60 days. You can ask that too.

I believe that TF can also send a replacement sim by mail if requested.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll contact Tracfone customer service.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Moto G Stylus (2021)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I believe that TF can also send a replacement sim by mail if requested.
    It used to be that a rep would send out a replacement SIM at no charge (and by overnight FedEx no less). Nowadays, a rep is more likely to suggest that you use a BYOP SIM and the rep would pair it to the phone's IMEI.

Feedback Score
    It seems in new unlocking stystem, activation of the phone is linked to unlocking, not the pair of sim and phone. My data point is for a TW iPhone 7, missing original sim, never activated on TW, so last month after my TW iPhone 11 unlocked I inserted the sim in iPhone 7, and a few days later 'text UNLOCK to 611611' returned the correct 60 day unlocking date. Fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile1212 View Post
    It seems in new unlocking stystem, activation of the phone is linked to unlocking, not the pair of sim and phone. My data point is for a TW iPhone 7, missing original sim, never activated on TW, so last month after my TW iPhone 11 unlocked I inserted the sim in iPhone 7, and a few days later 'text UNLOCK to 611611' returned the correct 60 day unlocking date. Fingers crossed.
    Am I understanding this correctly - the iPhone7 has never been activated?
    Or did you mean that you activated the iPhone7 with a transfer of service from your iPhone11?

Thanks!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly - the iPhone7 has never been activated?
    Or did you mean that you activated the iPhone7 with a transfer of service from your iPhone11?

Thanks!
    TW iPhone 7 first time activated on TW with sim of TW iPhone 11 by just inserting sim. It's not a regular transfer activation I believe since I didn't log into my account to activate.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    TW iPhone 7 first time activated on TW with sim of TW iPhone 11 by just inserting sim. It's not a regular transfer activation I believe since I didn't log into my account to activate.
    Sounds a bit "irregular" to me. What you did was a SIM swap, which can result in one of two outcomes:
    1) TW automatically pairs the SIM (from the iphone 11) to the IMEI of the iPhone 7. If that happens, I don't know if TW will count that as an activation and starts the unlocking clock for the iphone 7. If this happens, you'll have fun later trying to figure what the account number is if you decide to port out that line.
    2) You get a message to put the SIM back into the iPhone 11 or get your line suspended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Sounds a bit "irregular" to me. What you did was a SIM swap, which can result in one of two outcomes:
    1) TW automatically pairs the SIM (from the iphone 11) to the IMEI of the iPhone 7. If that happens, I don't know if TW will count that as an activation and starts the unlocking clock for the iphone 7. If this happens, you'll have fun later trying to figure what the account number is if you decide to port out that line.
    2) You get a message to put the SIM back into the iPhone 11 or get your line suspended.
    Yeah it's outcome 1 for my case. It did show an activation under my account transaction history which corresponds to the SIM swap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it's outcome 1 for my case.
    To see if TW paired the SIM (from the iphone 11) to the IMEI of the iphone 7, text the word FOUR to 611611 and see what it sends back. For a device branded/sold by TW, it should return the IMEI of the device. On the TF side, you can log into your account and under Device it'll show the IMEI tied to that line. I have a TW account, but I couldn't find the same info on TW web site.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    To see if TW paired the SIM (from the iphone 11) to the IMEI of the iphone 7, text the word FOUR to 611611 and see what it sends back. For a device branded/sold by TW, it should return the IMEI of the device. On the TF side, you can log into your account and under Device it'll show the IMEI tied to that line. I have a TW account, but I couldn't find the same info on TW web site.
    FOUR returned last 4 of iphone 7 IMEI. Thus UNLOCK returned unlocking date for iPhone 7.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    FOUR returned last 4 of iphone 7 IMEI. Thus UNLOCK returned unlocking date for iPhone 7.
    Wow - you are very lucky. Tracfone Lottery !!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    Wow - you are very lucky. Tracfone Lottery !!
    Fingers crossed. I was just hoping this big chance that all TF cares for 60 day unlocking is whether device is TF branded and Verizon network activated.