Thread: Need data for international trip

Device(s)
    Razr v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Need data for international trip

I have someone that has a iphone with tmobile that could tether and our company has Verizon jetpacks that we use. I need to find out what the best options are for use if wifi is unavailable or unreliable. The person will be in Spain amd Turkey. Hotspot on the phone or using the jetpack could work. Suggestions?

Feedback Score
    is the jetpack unlocked ?? it may e cheaper just to
    get a data only sim to use in the jetpack.

Feedback Score
    I believe that for the Verizon international pass option, after you exceed 500MB per day, your data rate gets throttled down to 2G speeds. Not sure if this is still true.

Device(s)
    Razr v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, 500 should be enough per day. I'll check and see if it is unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile high speed roaming is $5/day, but I think it needs to be added daily or they revert to the free 128kbs speeds. Or they could add a 15GB plan good for 30 days for $50. There is also a middle plan that is 5GB for 10 days for $35.

The big benefit is that these plans include calls too so if they have to fall back to calling for zoom etc. dialing the local US access numbers is free. They also give high speed data on the device rather than the free slow data which makes the device fully usable for regular things.

So IMHO, carrying one device that is fully capable and always available to them is better than a second device.

Feedback Score
    Since Verizon is the larges cell provider in the USA, why can’t they offer international roaming options comparable to T-Mobile or even AT&T? Verizon is very deficient in this offering.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Since Verizon is the larges cell provider in the USA, why can’t they offer international roaming options comparable to T-Mobile or even AT&T? Verizon is very deficient in this offering.
    Never forget that when it comes to international roaming Verizon doesn't own those foreign networks and does pay for usage of its users while out of the US. I won't pretend to know just what the actual roaming costs are. Just another one of those situations where you have to take their word for it. The providers didn't become as large as they have without making a good profit from their users. No excuses offered by me. Only my $.02 for what it is worth to you.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Since Verizon is the larges cell provider in the USA, why canÂ’t they offer international roaming options comparable to T-Mobile or even AT&T? Verizon is very deficient in this offering.
    Verizon Wireless phones automatically unlock after 60 days I believe it was. Other carriers lock the phones down. You can use physical sims or esims for roaming without issue so they are being generous even offering an international roaming option which they know they can fully monetize for consumers who simply want convenience.

AT&T plans have unlimited roaming in Pan American nations on the most expensive plans. The regular roaming rates for them are also likely very expensive for other countries. Tmobile has plans with unlimited 2G or 3G speed roaming depending on which plan you get.

I wam all my international data billed separately so I would preferably use ESIM’s such as Orange which offers unlimited roaming in Europe.

Device(s)
    9630 BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Verizon Wireless phones automatically unlock after 60 days I believe it was. Other carriers lock the phones down. You can use physical sims or esims for roaming without issue so they are being generous even offering an international roaming option which they know they can fully monetize for consumers who simply want convenience.

AT&T plans have unlimited roaming in Pan American nations on the most expensive plans. The regular roaming rates for them are also likely very expensive for other countries. Tmobile has plans with unlimited 2G or 3G speed roaming depending on which plan you get.

I wam all my international data billed separately so I would preferably use ESIM’s such as Orange which offers unlimited roaming in Europe.
    T-Mobile is the best international carrier. Verizon will leave you bankrupt

Device(s)
    S22 Ultra, S21
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    If you enable International Day Pass on AT&T, you can get your normal Elite/Extra plan features in 210+ destinations. That costs $10/day but only charges you for 10 days maximum per billing cycle. So if you travel abroad for two months you'd pay your normal cost plus $100 per month. https://www.att.com/international/day-pass/

That is a lot cheaper than the Pay-Per-Use rates that they charge if you don't buy a pass and use int'l roaming. ($1/min of calling and $2/MB of data )