Thread: New SIM purchased, now email from Cricket says Number Transfer Cancellation

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

New SIM purchased, now email from Cricket says Number Transfer Cancellation

It has been a while since I posted anything. Let me share my problem.

Upgraded phones to a Pixel 3a 2 years ago and put in my 5 year old SIM card from my ZTE Axon 7 phone. The ZTE phone was registered on the Cricket network, but my Pixel was not. Worked fine, until the 3G shutdown. Cricket suspended my phone calling ability at that time. Called CS, ordered new SIM from Cricket. Received 2 days later and installed new SIM in Pixel phone, called CS to activate new SIM. The phone works properly calling and text messaging this morning.

All went fine, until . . . . . Started to get emails from Cricket about activation and account closing if not done within 30 days. My 30 days was up on May 15.

Last night I received an email from Cricket stating this:

Number Transfer Cancellation
    You recently ordered Cricket service with one or more phone number transfer request(s). Your service was not activated causing your order to be cancelled. After 30 days, we are required to release phone number transfers that have not been confirmed. You can contact your previous wireless provider for questions about keeping your phone number or contact Cricket Customer Care at 1-800-CRICKET (274-2538) for questions about your order.

I did not port, in or out. CS confirmed to me on several occasions that my new SIM has been activated, with the proper phone IMEI # and ICCID SIM card number on my line that this new card replaced.

My take is that Cricket has some disconnect between Sales and CS/Help desk when it comes to on-line activations of SIM cards only. I've had my number for over 16 years now and I really do not want to give it up.

Extremely frustrating to have to go through this process when it was properly done 2 days after my order.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The WB View Post
    Your thoughts are appreciated.
    No specific help for you issue, but several years ago Cricket mistakenly ported out my number of 20+ years (I'm assuming/hoping it was an honest mistake like a keyboard slip).

It took several weeks of staying on top of customer service, but they eventually got the number back. It required I have a new SIM handy when they were finally ready to transfer the number back on to my account.

Good luck.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thank you mbellot.

I contacted CS, routine corporate "tag lines" used. In essence, only new SIM card purchases gets these emails. Phone purchases do not. Why? Who knows!

I have come to the realization that:
    1) Always buy SIM card locally and activate it on line. Never had that issue with my ZTE SIM activation
    2) When I upgrade phones, replace SIM card regardless and activate on line

Called to CS this morning and went over the entire issue again. Again, told that nothing will happen. I just hope they do not do to me what they did to you. I've spent enough time with these people on a really simple issue -- sell me a new SIM card and activate it. Its not rocket science!

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I bought a phone from Cricket last year that came with a SIM card in the box. Since I reused my old SIM, I never did anything with the new one. After a while I started getting those emails to activate it or else risk losing the number when it is put back in the unused pool. I called and they said to don’t worry about it. Everything was okay. My active number was fine.

Ironically, I misplaced this unused SIM card and I had to buy another one because another one of my phones could not send or receive calls after the 3G shutdown even though the phone was on the whitelist. I swapped my phone number from the old card to the new over chat and I have not received any scary emails since.
    Last edited by hooked; 05-18-2022 at 05:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I bought a phone from Cricket last year that came with a SIM card in the box.
    My wife upgraded her old iPhone 5 last October before the 3G shutdown took effect. Cricket sent a new SIM card with the phone, but I just swapped her old all white card to the new iPhone. The system now and correctly shows the new iPhone SE 2 and her old SIM card number.

No emails on that phone at all. That was an on-line purchase also.

Your problem in replacing the SIM card for the 3G shutdown was exactly my problem that triggered this whole mess for me. The new SIM card was the issue. They shutdown the phone call portion of my phone. My account also had a "temporary suspend" hold on it requiring CS to lift it. Finding the problem, I then purchased a new SIM card from Cricket directly from CS. I couldn't activate it on-line, so CS had to do it for me. After 45 minutes of work, the phone was working correctly once again. After that, the "activation emails" started several days later.

Their system seems to pick and choose what sales they follow up on with these scary tactic emails to move people to use the new SIM cards and hound them for activation. The CS rep could also have entered something wrong that triggers the system to do this. I don't know.

Everything is currently activated on their system computers and the phone works as it should. Only time will tell if I will continue to have a problem.

Feedback Score
    I know a lot of people have been negatively impacted by the way AT&T (and Cricket) have mishandled this whole 3G shutdown. Also a lot of people have been harassed by AT&T's "whitelist" nonsense.

Isn't there a way that AT&T can be held accountable for all the unpleasantness, mental anguish, distress, etc, they have caused?

(Maybe there are legal experts here on HoFo who can advise us - class action lawsuit, anyone!! )
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    (Maybe there are legal experts here on HoFo who can advise us - class action lawsuit, anyone!! )
    The grief and cost of class action suits is horrific. How many people have been affected by AT&T 3G shutdown? Further, how AT&T handled this matter was unprofessional and lastly, my damages (out of pocket was just shy of $11.00).

Non-named Class Members almost always get screwed. Only the lawyers and their experts make any real $$$ as a result of a class action lawsuit. It is sad, but true.

You really want to hit Cricket - port out your cell service from the AT&T umbrella of providers to a competitor. A drop in customers and that revenue loss is the only way corporate America will wake up.

Only impacting the companies bottom line will wake the offending company up.