Thread: Incoming calls (only) sometimes don't work until phone is restarted

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Incoming calls (only) sometimes don't work until phone is restarted

Just started noticing this with one of my Moto G Power 2020s.

My phone is off all night, and I power it up upon waking for the day. I have a PIN-type screen lock, and after I enter it the very first time I see "Phone is starting." I assume that's the Phone app, letting me know that it has not been running until this time.

Later (and in a random fashion), when I became a little suspicious, I tried a call to that line from another phone, and got a message from Verizon (calling phone was from them too) that (IIRC) the call could not be completed, or something to that effect. I was NOT redirected to the voicemail for that line, and the line didn't ring. It's as if the line didn't exist to the carrier. Immediately after I tried an outgoing call from the suspect phone, with no problems observed. Calling back in to it, got the same failure.

Restarted the phone, and no problems in either direction! This may be happening every day; I don't always check it, and I typically use Google Voice, which is having it's own set of problems (but GV is not being used in this case; whether it's involved is another story).

From one angle since at that moment outgoing works but incoming doesn't, it looks like a carrier thing. But because it appears to correct after a restart, it looks more like a device thing.

I'm intending on reseating the SIM and seeing if that affects things. This device came from Total Wireless, using the SIM that came with it. Using the APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP. It was never intentionally or officially "rebranded" for PPC use.

I've seen a bit of forum chatter about weirdness with Page Plus Cellular lately, so perhaps it could be attributed to that; but those problems were more of a data type.

Come on all ye troubleshooters!

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Can you check to see if VoLTE is still provisioned on that line? I lost VoLTE on my phone about a week ago & CS had to re-provision it on my account. 1x is super weak at my house & I was missing some calls before I noticed something was wrong

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I used to run into this when VoLTE started. I have not seen this issue for years now. I thought this was corrected.

I tracked it down to routing issue, and towers does not know which way to route the call.

When I had this issue, I disabled VoLTE on the phone, and that corrected the issue. Then when I enabled VoLTE on the phone, it worked for a few calls. Then I got back into the same issue.

I have found that it corrected the issue for the longest is to LTE mode. I do not know that phone. So I am not sure if there is a menu for this, or you have to use 4636 menu from the Phone app, or even if this will correct the issue.

Feedback Score
    Even with VoLTE enabled, if you live in a fringe area the phone will still drop to 3G(1x) if it can't pull the LTE signal and in that state for some reason calls don't work sometime. At least that's my case. If I have my phone in a bad signal area of the house it does that. I found that turning on airplane mode briefly, then off, the phone finds the LTE signal again. Wonder what will happen when Verizon finally turns off all 3G(cdma).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The VoLTE toggle is on, and like I said, I can immediately make outgoing calls with no hangs.

I can remember when the phone was first activated the CSR had me make a test call, and the audio was really bad. I then noticed no LTE indication. I reported this to the Rep (doing this via IM Chat), they made a change or two, then I tried the test call again, and it was like night and day. The HD icon showed in the call screen, and the audio sounded hi-fi. I would wager that most of the cell sites in my area have ceased offering 1x for voice.

But I like advcomp2019's comment about the routing issue. To an incoming caller device, based on what I hear on the line, it's as if my phone hasn't made itself known or available on the network at that point. How that's supposed to happen routinely and automatically (and what might be preventing it in this case) is the head scratcher.

The next couple of days I'm going to try a series of incoming calls at both my residence and where I work, to see if the different tower connections have anything to do with it. But as indicated, as soon as the restart happens, it seems to be good for the rest of its up-time for that day.

Additional: The Preferred Network Type is set to Global. LTE/CDMA is available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Tried a call to the phone withing minutes of power up this morning. No problem. You know it's going to work from the calling phone as soon as you hear a ringback in the earpiece (otherwise you immediately hear the voice prompt from the VZW system about there being a problem). Also tried at work and no problem (10 miles away and different tower).

I'll just have to keep aware of it and see if there's a pattern, or any report of VZW having system issues (which is one of the possibilities).