Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Complaining about SMS not working

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

Complaining about SMS not working

Posted here 8 months ago that I was unable to send an SMS with pixel 3xl and a picture attached. Finally stopped at a Verizon store and by golly they fixed it. Took the geek ten minutes of fiddling. What I don't know is what he did. Something about I didn't have Verizon checked. I'm going to stop fiddling with my phone. Just a suggestion. I was so happy that I tipped him $20.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Posted here 8 months ago that I was unable to send an SMS with pixel 3xl and a picture attached.
    An SMS (plain text) with a picture attached is an MMS (multi-media text), which on an Android phone requires Data to send or receive. The APN also needs to be correct for that to work.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Posted here 8 months ago that I was unable to send an SMS with pixel 3xl and a picture attached. Finally stopped at a Verizon store and by golly they fixed it. Took the geek ten minutes of fiddling. What I don't know is what he did. Something about I didn't have Verizon checked. I'm going to stop fiddling with my phone. Just a suggestion. I was so happy that I tipped him $20.
    Wow... If you got a Rep at a Verizon store to help with a TracFone you won big time.

When my husband had full Verizon pre-paid they wouldn't help him, just gave him CS prepaid number to call. Which he couldn't do cause you had to call from the phone number attached to the account. Can't do that if your sim card is fried which locked his phone. He had to get another sim card and phone, add it to his account then transfer his service to it. Had to do it all in his account online without any help from CS. Unless things have changed since he left Verizon, the only online CS was a chatbot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Wow... If you got a Rep at a Verizon store to help with a TracFone you won big time.
    A friend mentioned to me the other day that she finds customer service reps more friendly/helpful in face-to-face transactions after Covid and its associated work-from-home isolation.

I found that to be a very interesting observation.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    My MMS stopped working for no known reason a few weeks ago. After searching online, I found others saying it was an APN problem. My current APN was Tracfone - VZWINTERNET. I created a new APN called Verizon - VZWINTERNET and that fixed it.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    I betcha it was the APN he messed with.

Feedback Score
    I just received a private message from Alex, suggesting that I text APN to 611611.

I have tried that in the past and found that it changes the APN to TRACFONE.VZWENTP, which is the setting for branded tracfones. This does not work for me, because I have a BYOP phone (Pixel 5a 5g). The APN that works on my Pixel is VERIZON.VZWINTERNET.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    If I remember, TF did that to me also. Didn't help. I'm afraid to even look at SETTINGS . Afraid I'll mess my new working phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwad View Post
    I just received a private message from Alex, suggesting that I text APN to 611611.

I have tried that in the past and found that it changes the APN to TRACFONE.VZWENTP, which is the setting for branded tracfones. This does not work for me, because I have a BYOP phone (Pixel 5a 5g). The APN that works on my Pixel is VERIZON.VZWINTERNET.

TRACFONE.VZWENTP is the APN for Straight talk and Total Wireless. If used for Tracfone, mobile data and voLTE won't work.

VZWINTERNET (not VERIZON.VZWINTERNET) is the correct APN for TF branded phones and TF/Verizon BYOP phones.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the correction about VZWENTP.
    All I know is it did not work for my Pixel 5a 5g.
    It seems 611611 cannot tell the difference between branded tracfones and BYOPs. At least in my case it couldn't.

The APN I have that works now is (name) VERIZON (apn) VZWINTERNET.
    The old APN that worked until it didn't was (name) TRACFONE (apn) VZWINTERNET.
    Last edited by fuzzwad; 05-20-2022 at 05:16 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Usually on my phones when correct it will show it like this:

Name:  vzw.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  8.7 KB

If it gets messed up and shows like below because I put another sim in the (unlocked) phone and then put back the TF sim, or changes after on OS upgrade, or it comes with it like this out of the box, or TF just is TFing, then I have no LTE mobile data.

Name:  new.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  9.2 KB

If I change it back it works again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The APN I have that works now is (name) VERIZON (apn) VZWINTERNET.
    The old APN that worked until it didn't was (name) TRACFONE (apn) VZWINTERNET.
    I think the (name) VERIZON is just label, you can try changing it BILLYBOB and see if it still works. It's the (apn)VZWINTERNET that matters, and has to be what the carrier system expects it to be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think the (name) VERIZON is just label, you can try changing it BILLYBOB and see if it still works. It's the (apn)VZWINTERNET that matters, and has to be what the carrier system expects it to be.
    I sure would think so, but that was not my experience

The name was TRACFONE up until about a month ago. Then MMS just stopped working (calls, SMS, & data were fine).

Changing the name to VERIZON got MMS working again. I made no other changes. So in my case, the exact name seemed to make the difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The name was TRACFONE up until about a month ago. Then MMS just stopped working (calls, SMS, & data were fine).

Changing the name to VERIZON got MMS working again. I made no other changes. So in my case, the exact name seemed to make the difference.
    I tried to edit/change the APN on my unlocked Pixel 4a (4G) with a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM but couldn't. I could select the active APN (name) Verizon (apn) VZWINTERNET, the heading changed to Edit APN but all the fields are grayed out. Couldn't select any of the field. I think you can only edit an APN that's not being used.

Feedback Score
    I misspoke (mistyped) when I said I edited it. What I actually did was create a new APN with the name VERIZON and (apn) VZWINTERNET, and all the other fields were grayed out and identical to the TRACFONE APN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast