Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TF Verizon SIMs No Longer Reusable?

Feedback Score

TF Verizon SIMs No Longer Reusable?

I've got one line of service with Tracfone on a now-unlocked LG Reflect. I thought that I would use the unlocked phone on another carrier after transferring my Tracfone service to one of my previously-activated spare Tracfone-branded Moto E5 phones. Well, I can't activate either of the Moto E5 phones online without getting an Invalid SIM alert and no information on how to otherwise proceed.

I thought that Tracfone Verizon SIMs could be reused and I am aware that Tracfone has cracked down on SIM swapping on the Verizon side of things, so I am a little cautious about going forward. Maybe if I got a $1 SIM kit and transferred my account to that, and then inserted that new SIM card into one of my Moto E5 phones it would work. Is Tracfone cool with that? Or do I have to deal with Tracfone customer service? I would greatly appreciate any insight from anybody who may have already overcome this problem, or anybody just generally more Tracfone savvy than me.

BTW, I tried to activate both by using the "Activate" button on the top toolbar of the website, and by going into my account to manage my dormant IMEIs. One Moto E5 is unlocked and has been removed from my account for more than a year, and the other Moto E5 is the more recently used one whose IMEI still resides in my account. Both phones get Invalid SIM alert when attempting to activate.

Feedback Score
    I had the exact same experience a while back, (agonizingly chronicled in this thread, if you want to take a look - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-with-transfer).

I gave up on the whole endeavor. Didn't transfer to a different phone at all.

But that's because I'm a wuss when it comes to dealing with Tracfone Chat,
    If you are the brave kind, Chat will probably be able to help you accomplish what you want.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I had the exact same experience a while back, (agonizingly chronicled in this thread, if you want to take a look - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-with-transfer).

I gave up on the whole endeavor. Didn't transfer to a different phone at all.

But that's because I'm a wuss when it comes to dealing with Tracfone Chat,
    If you are the brave kind, Chat will probably be able to help you accomplish what you want.
    Thank you for your response. I just got done reading that thread. It looks like Tracfone wants to have a customer service agent involved with the re-activation of previously activated phones is all that I can figure.

I've never tried chat before, and like you I am not too excited about it. I think that I am just going to type something like,
    "Hi there.
    I already am a Tracfone customer.
    My phone number is ### ### ####.
    I want to switch to a previously used phone that I still have.
    That phone is still in my account as an inactive device.
    The IMEI of that phone is #######.
    I was wondering if you could switch my phone service to that device?"
    I am not going to mention that I have previously tried and failed to accomplish this myself, or say anything about the SIM card error message. I will let you know how it goes, and I thank you again kindly for your response. Reading your thread gave me a better idea of what might be going on with this situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    Thank you for your response. I just got done reading that thread. It looks like Tracfone wants to have a customer service agent involved with the re-activation of previously activated phones is all that I can figure.

I've never tried chat before, and like you I am not too excited about it. I think that I am just going to type something like,
    "Hi there.
    I already am a Tracfone customer.
    My phone number is ### ### ####.
    I want to switch to a previously used phone that I still have.
    That phone is still in my account as an inactive device.
    The IMEI of that phone is #######.
    I was wondering if you could switch my phone service to that device?"
    I am not going to mention that I have previously tried and failed to accomplish this myself, or say anything about the SIM card error message. I will let you know how it goes, and I thank you again kindly for your response. Reading your thread gave me a better idea of what might be going on with this situation.
    Is the sim you are trying to reuse the sim that was in the phone when it was originally activated?

Feedback Score
    Well, I just tried that script, and I guess the weekends must be a bad time to engage chat. The response that I got:

Currently, my team only specializes in online sales support and does not have access to account details, for security purposes.
    Please hold while I transfer you to our customer care representative. Please note that in the event our chat disconnects you may click Chat to connect with a customer care representative. Thank you for chatting with TracFone Wireless

and then...

I apologize but we are unable to transfer this chat due to high chat volume. I can schedule a callback or you may call our TracFone customer service hotline number at 1-800-867-7183. You may also chat with a care chat agent by clicking on the link Chat They are available between 8:00 AM - 11:45 PM EST., 7 days a week and will be able to further assist you and provide the best possible solution

Or maybe there are two different Tracfone chats, an online sales support chat and an account services chat, and I got the wrong one. The chat that I clicked on was on the lower right corner of Tracfone's web page. I'll try again with chat on Monday and update this thread after that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Is the sim you are trying to reuse the sim that was in the phone when it was originally activated?
    Yes, original SIM in both devices that I have tried to activate.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your help. Your first link took me to a different sort of chat than that which I had first experienced. It wasn't free-form text chat, but rather a different kind where you fill out different fields of information. The only problem is I could not submit my information once I had typed it in. Knowing how jankey Tracfone's website is, I am going to clear cache/cookies and try again in Incognito browsing mode. Your second link gave a 404 error and would not connect. I appreciate your help.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only problem is I could not submit my information once I had typed it in.
    If the Chat box doesn't show the green Start Chat button, or there seems to be no input box for your text, grab and scoot the chat box further from the edge of the screen, then drag the lower-right corner of the chat box diagonally down to show the input box.

Name:  Tracfone-Chat-Box-2022-02-24.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  Tracfone-Chat-Box-2022-02-24-2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  Tracfone-Chat-Box-2022-02-24-3.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  38.3 KB

Feedback Score
    I can't activate either of the Moto E5 phones online without getting an Invalid SIM alert and no information on how to otherwise proceed.
    Well, you are not alone. I have a Moto E5 that gave me the same "Invalid SIM" response when I tried to transfer a number to it. The one difference with yours is my Moto E5 was unlocked. I got a few other phones laying around so I tried an unlocked Myflip (A405DL) but got the same "Invalid SIM" response. No deterred, I tried another Myflip, still locked to Tracfone, and this time it was done without a hitch. Now for both phones that failed activation on-line, I had used then with a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM after the phones were unlocked but I doubt this kind of SIM swap would cause the problem.

About activating your Moto E5 with a new SIM, you should be able to do it through chat. I have a Moto E that I wasn't able to get WiFi calling after several chat sessions. As a last ditch effort, I transferred the number out (to the second Myflip mentioned earlier) and after a couple of days asked a CSR (via Chat) to transferred the same number back to the Moto E with a new SIM card (claiming that I misplaced the original SIM card and could not find it). My idea was a new SIM card would get a complete carrier initialization and might solve the WiFi calling problem. The WiFi calling started to work after this exercise although I still have one same old problem with Moto E - one way audio for calls coming from WiFi capable phones. Enabling WiFi calling didn't fix it but I decided not to pursue any further.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for your help. Your first link took me to a different sort of chat than that which I had first experienced. It wasn't free-form text chat, but rather a different kind where you fill out different fields of information. The only problem is I could not submit my information once I had typed it in. Knowing how jankey Tracfone's website is, I am going to clear cache/cookies and try again in Incognito browsing mode. Your second link gave a 404 error and would not connect. I appreciate your help.
    Use this link:

https://www.tracfone.com/support/contact-us

When the chat window loads, you can do as hpham suggests and expand the chat window to reveal the start chat button or you can just leave the mouse cursor in one of the fields (like i did in the name field below) after filling out everything and then press enter on the keyboard.

That should take you to the chat rep.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Size:  40.3 KB

or

Name:  new.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  65.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Use this link:

https://www.tracfone.com/support/contact-us

When the chat window loads, you can do as hpham suggests and expand the chat window to reveal the start chat button or you can just leave the mouse cursor in one of the fields (like i did in the name field below) after filling out everything and then press enter on the keyboard.

That should take you to the chat rep.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Size:  40.3 KB

or

Name:  new.JPG
Size:  65.9 KB
    Good information. Thank you for that!

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Use this link:
    dang, wish this was posted earlier. I did my 1st chat ever with tracfone this morning. couldn't figure out how to get it started b/c the "Start Chat" box was missing.

After a few minutes, decided to just hit "enter" in the phone field after putting in my phone # and it started but suppose that hitting enter in ANY non pull down menu gets it started.

Also, if they offer a callback option, try not to have them call back on your tracfone. (perhaps many already know this..)

Being my 1st chat and callback, I discovered a callback comes from some 1800 number from Miami and deducts from your minutes bucket. Took 30 mins to resolve my issue and when I called back afterwards asking why Support deducts minutes when Chat can't resolve and refers you to a callback that deducts minutes, they say that's how it is...

I asked for some minutes be added back and was told this is not possible but if I wanted to add minutes, they'd be glad to if I just give them a credit card number!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2, iPhone SE 1, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I should mention that the other link that Boz1 posted here:

https://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp?

does/should work.

It takes a few seconds for the red chat button to load on the right side on the 404 error page.

Looks like this:

Name:  yes.JPG
Size:  15.7 KB

The good thing about that is it loads the chat with the start chat button already showing.

Name:  ok.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  50.6 KB

But, it can be confusing because you access it on some weird 404 page.

I usually just stick to the main chat url above and expand window to get start chat button to show or just press enter with cursor inserted in field. The start chat button used to show properly by default but now on new site it is like this.

Or, if problem is advanced or chat can't help, I call TF corp office at 305 640-2000 x1029 (they are open 7 days a week, ignore the closed message). If you call at right time the connection is very fast.

Feedback Score
    Not exactly the same situation, but I had two phones involved in a SIM swap and I wanted to undo the swap and have the service on the phone that the SIM was swapped into. I did use Chat help.

With Chat help, I moved the service to a phone that was not involved in the swap. (The phone had been active for a time in the past, so was reusing the SIM). In the swap pair, I unswapped the SIM cards and put them in their original phones, and then after a few days I used Chat help and moved the service to the phone I wanted it to be on.

I like Chat as I can copy-paste the IMEI and SIM numbers into the chat session easily as I ask for help.

When I used Chat help I asked them to check if the IMEI/SIM pair was ok for activation, then had them move the service, I stayed on the Chat line until I was sure the new phone was able to call or text. It can take 5-10 minutes, or more, for the phone to be properly active. Tracfone will send a welcome text message as soon as a phone is active.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast