Thread: DENT high ping times and slow speeds on Tmobile

Feedback Score

DENT high ping times and slow speeds on Tmobile

Did a speed test on free data I got from Dent. Over 300 ms ping times and slow speeds that ranged from 50-100Mbps download and approximately 5Mbps upload. Was not impressed. If I had to pay for data, I would not have used the service. My Verizon unlimited start plan gets pings roughly around 30ms and can hit speeds over 300Mbps download and over 25Mbps upload. I don’t have UWB or a high priority of service on my Verizon plan.

If Dent can’t get good service with Tmobile, they are likely poor in all the countries it serves as many other countries charge even more fees for access and they likely don’t have any real infrastructure in place. Prices for purchase for the quality and size of data available are really poor. Yet it gets high marks on App store for Apple. All one has to do is run a speed check and look at pricing compared to native Tmobile esim.

Most of the esim providers are selling poor quality roaming for high pricing. Local sims are still best and only a small few are using Esim that tourists can purchase such as Orange in various markets that will roam throughout Europe or Tmobile in the USA. When I look at the esim providers I want to know what telecom experience they have and infrastructure they own. The market is full of tons of low grade providers.

The biggest and best carriers are heavily avoiding Esims for tourists or foreigners such as Verizon Wireless in USA, Singtel in Singapore, Swisscom in Switzerland, EE in UK and many others. I wish carriers would standardize roaming agreements with affordable rates on ESIM at their fastest speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Did a speed test on free data I got from Dent. Over 300 ms ping times and slow speeds that ranged from 50-100Mbps download and approximately 5Mbps upload. Was not impressed. If I had to pay for data, I would not have used the service. My Verizon unlimited start plan gets pings roughly around 30ms and can hit speeds over 300Mbps download and over 25Mbps upload. I don’t have UWB or a high priority of service on my Verizon plan.
    ... and they likely don’t have any real infrastructure in place.
    You're comparing an international roaming service based in Hong Kong (hence higher pings) with your Verizon service. No, they don't have infrastructure. The comparison you're making here is laughable. Go use your Verizon service in Europe and Asia if it makes you happy (and pay out the *** for it).

Feedback Score

If Dent can’t get good service with Tmobile, they are likely poor in all the countries it serves as many other countries charge even more fees for access and they likely don’t have any real infrastructure in place. Prices for purchase for the quality and size of data available are really poor. Yet it gets high marks on App store for Apple. All one has to do is run a speed check and look at pricing compared to native Tmobile esim.

Most of the esim providers are selling poor quality roaming for high pricing. Local sims are still best and only a small few are using Esim that tourists can purchase such as Orange in various markets that will roam throughout Europe or Tmobile in the USA. When I look at the esim providers I want to know what telecom experience they have and infrastructure they own. The market is full of tons of low grade providers.

The biggest and best carriers are heavily avoiding Esims for tourists or foreigners such as Verizon Wireless in USA, Singtel in Singapore, Swisscom in Switzerland, EE in UK and many others. I wish carriers would standardize roaming agreements with affordable rates on ESIM at their fastest speeds.
    I would call that reasonable service. The high ping is because they route their traffic to Europe, I believe. Those speeds are respectable... not sure what you need to do faster than that when paying per GB? I get prices around $3.50/GB in the marketplace and buy as needed. The Teams feature is a game changer IMO because you can share the same pool of data with other people via eSIM.

Feedback Score

What can't you do with 50-100 Mbps? On good days I am lucky to get 30 Mbps on Verizon. Typical is more like 5-10 Mbps. Either works fine. Where I am, T-Mobile is pathetically slow, to the point of being unusable at times.

If you are looking for high speed for speed test bragging rights, Dent is the wrong service to use.

The latency is high because all of your data is being routed to Poland and back. The speed of light is fast, but it is not infinite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    I would call that reasonable service. The high ping is because they route their traffic to Europe, I believe. Those speeds are respectable... not sure what you need to do faster than that when paying per GB? I get prices around $3.50/GB in the marketplace and buy as needed. The Teams feature is a game changer IMO because you can share the same pool of data with other people via eSIM.
    I tried the Ubigi ESIM which uses Tmobile as well which is owned by NTT and has access to infrastructure. While I couldn’t get a speed test without paying for service even though I can connect to Ubigi app and select plans while it works on its own with Tmobile, one app showed a ping time as it was connected of approx 80ms which is far more reasonable if you wanted a small amount of roaming in USA instead of buying a native Tmobile esim service on an unlocked device. NTT has a tier 1 global backbone and data centers globally.

A ping on NTT to my ATT connection from Tokyo, Japan to NYC is 146 to 147ms from NTT looking glass server. Not even close to 300ms for a long haul connection. Which means Ubigi isn’t routing to Japan as its quicker. NTT in Paris, France to me is 76ms approx so my guess is Ubigi is routing through western europe. They probably have excellent ping times on European roaming partners with not much added latency if I had to speculate.

Over 300 ms is definitely low grade connectivity. It has nothing to do with routing to Europe which would mean much lower ping times. It could be routing on poor domestic peering or a combination of poor domestic and international peering. Australia is the furthest country away from me. A ping from NTT looking glass to me in NYC frim Sydney Australia is 226ms for comparison. Ping times vary depending on which networks used but I just selected NTT as a reference point.

A lot of of esim roaming providers will have no infrastructure and high ping times like Dent but some definitely do much better.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 05-31-2022 at 08:59 AM.