Thread: Does the AT&T Cell Booster work with Prepaid/Unlocked phones

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 5a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score

Does the AT&T Cell Booster work with Prepaid/Unlocked phones

We are on AT&T Prepaid and my son got a new phone... We had been on Pixels for years, but recently switched to a Moto Edge 5G 2021 which doesn't support WiFi calling on AT&T, this is causing a real issue in our house where service is poor. Other than in our house, the service is very good for everything we use it for.

My question is, would an AT&T Cell Booster work with our unlocked non-AT&T branded phones on AT&T Prepaid?
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 5a 5G (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Moto Edge 5G 2021 (AT&T), Pixel 4a (US Mobile Verizon eSIM)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    We are on AT&T Prepaid and my son got a new phone... We had been on Pixels for years, but recently switched to a Moto Edge 5G 2021 which doesn't support WiFi calling on AT&T, this is causing a real issue in our house where service is poor. Other than in our house, the service is very good for everything we use it for.

My question is, would an AT&T Cell Booster work with our unlocked non-AT&T branded phones on AT&T Prepaid?
    The website you linked to has a customer question under CustomerQ&A that seems related to your problem - "I currently have wifi calling on- and still have issues. will this help?"

The answer to the question (which doesn't make much sense to me since I don't use wifi calling) may probably be helpful for you, so thought I'd post it in case you haven't seen it.

(BTW, $229 is pricey! It better be worth it!)
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 5a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    The website you linked to has a customer question under CustomerQ&A that seems related to your problem - "I currently have wifi calling on- and still have issues. will this help?"

The answer to the question (which doesn't make much sense to me since I don't use wifi calling) may probably be helpful for you, so thought I'd post it in case you haven't seen it.

(BTW, $229 is pricey! It better be worth it!)
    Well, the problem is AT&T doesn't support WiFi calling on my son's Moto Edge phone... It's not about WiFi coverage or channel issues. My internet is solid 500/30 cable modem with an enterprise grade router and access points... I am not worried about my network supporting it either, just whether it will work with non-AT&T branded devices as they seem to discriminate against unlocked devices that are not Google or Apple.

Is it worth it? The cost is high, but if it works as expected I suppose it is... My other options are a Verizon MVNO like US Mobile which has decent coverage in the area but speeds are less than stellar and 5G won't likely come here for years (rural North Dakota) or a T-Mobile MVNO which has great 5G service in town or along the interstate, but not very good service of any kind elsewhere, however they do support WiFi calling on almost any device technically capable of it. Other than this issue in our house, AT&T prepaid has served us well in other regards.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think the important question to ask is whether it works without a postpaid plan like the 3G Microcell used to require. I have AT&T Fiber Internet. Is that good enough, or would I have to switch to a postpaid plan to use this Cell Booster? I haven't found the answer to this question. Wi-Fi calling has improved, but it still isn't problem-free.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 5a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    I think the important question to ask is whether it works without a postpaid plan like the 3G Microcell used to require. I have AT&T Fiber Internet. Is that good enough, or would I have to switch to a postpaid plan to use this Cell Booster? I haven't found the answer to this question. Wi-Fi calling has improved, but it still isn't problem-free.
    For the last several years, we have owned nothing but Google Pixel devices and WiFi calling has been pretty much flawless on those with AT&T prepaid...

The Microcell 3G device used to require registering each device/SIM to it use it... I know the AT&T Cell Booster (Nokia SS2FII Femtocell Multi-band) does not require this and it essentially acts as a micro-tower broadcasting the AT&T Wireless network for "any" device.

My real question was because AT&T has a history of restricting services to phones that are not AT&T branded if this would be an issue... but the more I think about it I really doubt it as it just essentially is the "nxtgenphone" APN if I read things correctly

Feedback Score
    For the last several years, we have owned nothing but Google Pixel devices and WiFi calling has been pretty much flawless on those with AT&T prepaid...

The Microcell 3G device used to require registering each device/SIM to it use it... I know the AT&T Cell Booster (Nokia SS2FII Femtocell Multi-band) does not require this and it essentially acts as a micro-tower broadcasting the AT&T Wireless network for "any" device.

My real question was because AT&T has a history of restricting services to phones that are not AT&T branded if this would be an issue... but the more I think about it I really doubt it as it just essentially is the "nxtgenphone" APN if I read things correctly
    see here under device requirements - https://www.att.com/device-support/i.../ATT/ATTSS2FII

Feedback Score
    You have to have a post paid ATT account to activate a Cell Booster. Any pre or post paid ATT number in range can use the CB once activated.

This is different than the old 3g Micro Cell that only allowed specific registered ATT numbers to use it.

So no the CB will not work for you unless you change one of your lines to post paid.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    You have to have a post paid ATT account to activate a Cell Booster. Any pre or post paid ATT number in range can use the CB once activated.

This is different than the old 3g Micro Cell that only allowed specific registered ATT numbers to use it.

So no the CB will not work for you unless you change one of your lines to post paid.

Thanks. Probably not worth the bother for me then.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 5a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post

Well... That settles it... Guess I am porting out to US Mobile. Now the fun part of calling customer service for the account numbers and setting the transfer PIN. :/

Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    Well... That settles it... Guess I am porting out to US Mobile. Now the fun part of calling customer service for the account numbers and setting the transfer PIN. :/

Thanks for the info.
    Just sign on to your ATT account and generate the port out pin. No need to call CS.

Type " port out pin" in the search box and it will lead you to the right screen.