Thread: esim activation port-in question

Feedback Score

esim activation port-in question

My friend has an iPhone with an esim, currently on Verizon, and wanted to switch to ATT $300/year plan. I said I would help, so we went online and signed up for a the plan. I kept expecting they would ask for the port-in info, but it never did.

All of a sudden the process was done and now the phone has 2 lines running on it - the old one and a new AT&T prepaid number. So my question is - how can we transfer the Verizon number to the AT&T line on the same phone?

We called ATT help and they said "your old number is gone" - it's clearly not gone, it's working fine.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how it is now, or if AT&T changed anything since, but when I signed my wife up for the AT&T Prepaid $300 plan, it asked for the port-in info during signup, and her phone # was successfully ported from T-Mobile to AT&T.

If your intention was to port in a #, how did you end up selecting a new # instead?

Anyway, maybe someone will come along that knows if a # can be ported in after the $300 plan has already been established with a new #. I thought it was NOT possible, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't know how it is now, or if AT&T changed anything since, but when I signed my wife up
    If your intention was to port in a #, how did you end up selecting a new # instead?
    I also signed up my wife several months ago on the $300 plan - no problems at all porting in her number during sign up. It was part of the process; they mailed a physical sim.

This time the activation jumped to "Download and install esim", which appeared on the phone immediately. I had no experience with this, so I installed it. It then said congratulations, your new number is ###...and the iphone asked me to label the line ("business", "Primary", etc.) Now both numbers work on the same phone.

Online AT&T states you can port in within 30 days of activation for free, but so far no luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C/dog View Post
    I also signed up my wife several months ago on the $300 plan - no problems at all porting in her number during sign up. It was part of the process; they mailed a physical sim.

This time the activation jumped to "Download and install esim", which appeared on the phone immediately. I had no experience with this, so I installed it. It then said congratulations, your new number is ###...and the iphone asked me to label the line ("business", "Primary", etc.) Now both numbers work on the same phone.

Online AT&T states you can port in within 30 days of activation for free, but so far no luck.
    Try chatting with AT&T Prepaid support. You can text them at 75421 from your AT&T number.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Just another data point here, but every time Iíve ported a number to AT&T Iíve had to activate first with a ďtemporaryĒ number, then complete the port in afterwards. I would just call support and tell them you need to port a number to the existing line.

Itís been a year or so since Iíve done it, but I donít see any reason it should no longer be possible. You just need to talk to the right person, Iím sure. AT&T used to have a great porting department (in the United States no less) that you could call directly, but Iím sure thatís long gone and been outsourced overseas.

Just keep trying and Iím sure youíll find the one support rep that can figure it out. As long as the number is still active on the old line there is hope.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    AT&T used to have a great porting department (in the United States no less) that you could call directly, but Iím sure thatís long gone and been outsourced overseas.
    I called AT&TPrepaid the other day, and the rep told me I should add money to the balance quickly - "because the balance is expiring tomorrow".

I pointed out that the balance was expiring the day after tomorrow, not tomorrow.

He apologized and said yes, you're right, but in my country it is already tomorrow!

I asked him which country, he said Egypt.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Just another data point here, but every time Iíve ported a number to AT&T Iíve had to activate first with a ďtemporaryĒ number, then complete the port in afterwards. I would just call support and tell them you need to port a number to the existing line.

Just keep trying and Iím sure youíll find the one support rep that can figure it out. As long as the number is still active on the old line there is hope.
    Thanks - as you said, it just required finding the right person. The old number was ported in about 5 minutes.

Then it required making the AT&T line "Primary" on the dual-esim iPhone and everything started working well.