Thread: AT&T Fiber?

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

AT&T Fiber?

I currently have AT&T Uverse, which satisfies 90% of my needs, only being a tad slow on the upload side for my VPN server.

AT&T is installing fiber in my neighborhood. I have a couple of questions:
    • Does AT&T fiber have a real IPv4 address like my Uverse line does and allow incoming connections as well as outging? (Is it NATed and firewalled?)
    • I have a generator to power my house after a hurricane. Does AT&T Fiber need a generator at the VRAD like Uverse does after the batteries die?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    > AT&T is installing fiber in my neighborhood. I have a couple of questions:
    >Does AT&T fiber have a real IPv4 address? Don't know
    >Does AT&T Fiber need a generator at the VRAD like Uverse does after the batteries die?
    It uses a "router" on your end which needs power. I have one of the standby batteries for DSL but haven't tried it with the fiber.

Back when I had the DSL and then UVERSE every couple of months it would go out because the salt air would corrode the connections.

Fiber doesn't corrode, it hasn't failed since the install. Even lost power for several hours due to a tropical storm. When my generator got online, the Fiber Internet came up fine. Central substation's backup power worked apparently.

I have to be careful where I dig in the yard, I imagine ATT would want to charge to come out and splice the fiber cable.
    $54 a month seems ok for 300 megabit service. And they promised that the price would never increase. Using 4 computers, 2 phone lines (OBI), and 5 smartphones.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    $54 a month seems ok for 300 megabit service. And they promised that the price would never increase. Using 4 computers, 2 phone lines (OBI), and 5 smartphones.
    In general, I only need 5-10 Mbps download. That's enough for streaming 1080p. The thing that gives me heartburn is Uverse's ~1 Mbps upload. I'm paying $53/mo for Uverse, I'd go $54 for fiber in a NY second. I got the answer to my IP address question on the AT&T forum. I've learned that, unlike Uverse, with fiber there are no powered components between your house and the CO, unless you are way out in the boonies. That alone makes fiber more reliable than Uverse. As long as I can run a VPN server and it's not too expensive, it's a no brainer.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I was going to chime in and say I was pretty sure there's no VRAD with an all fiber system (a VRAD being an artifact appliance of Uverse or other fiber-to-the-node [FTTN] setups where the last portion to your house reverts back to the existing copper wire pairs), although in the boonies as stated there may be some intermediate junction appliance of some sort that may need power.