Thread: T-Mobile Senior Plans?

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Senior Plans?

I currently have service on a Verizon MVNO ... I am considering, after a month's test drive with T-Mobile, switching to one of their Magenta senior plans because they seem like an absolute no-brainer for someone who qualifies (and I do).

I was concerned about what would happen with coverage/service should I wind up out in the boonies, but the thing is I rarely venture out into the boonies. Plus I just completed a trip that took me through rural Georgia and South Carolina (I'm in Alabama) while on the test drive and I didn't lose service anywhere, in fact had full bars in some places where I've never had full bars with VZW. (I have unlocked sim-free iPhone 13 Pro with all the bands.)

I really don't seen any downsides to Magenta senior for someone who qualifies, especially if I get my wife (who has Tracfone) on the plan too. Am I missing any?

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It depends on what you call "boonies". On just about any Interstate highway, you'll be OK. If you mean the dirt roads through the mountains of N. Georgia or W. South Carolina, coverage can be pretty thin on the ground. One thing I do is to keep a PAYG phone active with PagePlus for about $32/yr. This gives me service on Verizon's network for exigencies. In case of an emergency, 911 calls should go through any available carrier.

Don't expect T-Mobile to quickly make huge improvements to their rural coverage. They have their hands full integrating Sprint's RF holdings into their network, right now. After that's done, you may see T-Mobile making big improvements to rural service. T-Mobile does not roam every carrier everywhere. They only roam in places where it's needed to make their map look better. Roaming on some partners' networks has severe data limits.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It depends on what you call "boonies". On just about any Interstate highway, you'll be OK. If you mean the dirt roads through the mountains of N. Georgia or W. South Carolina, coverage can be pretty thin on the ground. One thing I do is to keep a PAYG phone active with PagePlus for about $32/yr. This gives me service on Verizon's network for exigencies. In case of an emergency, 911 calls should go through any available carrier.

Don't expect T-Mobile to quickly make huge improvements to their rural coverage. They have their hands full integrating Sprint's RF holdings into their network, right now. After that's done, you may see T-Mobile making big improvements to rural service. T-Mobile does not roam every carrier everywhere. They only roam in places where it's needed to make their map look better. Roaming on some partners' networks has severe data limits.
    I wasn't on the dirt roads ... I don't have any reason to be on dirt roads anymore LOL ... but I was on rural 55 mph speed limit roads like from LaGrange, Georgia, to Forsythe, Georgia ... made a trip to Savannah and we have a way we go to bypass the traffic hell that is Atlanta, we catch I-75 about 20 miles above Macon ... and in South Carolina we were in the area between Manning and Sumter and Bishopville and Sumter, and had bars everywhere.

I also have a friend who is an avid traveler, all over the freakin' country, who has T-Mobile and is quite satisfied.

What you get for the price ... and the fact you don't have to sign a contract ... makes the senior deal as I said very, very attractive to me. Still pondering this and not 100% at ease about coverage, but it's very, very tempting. Just wanted to see if there were any downsides more with what you get for the price, though, than with coverage.

I actually used to be on PagePlus years ago, and their $19.95 Alcatel flip phone and a $32 a year card would be very doable "just in case."

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Look at CellMapper.net if you're interested in specific places.

I've done some exploring of trail heads around the hills of north Georgia. Stayed in a vacation house on the Coosawattee River. Stayed at the Hike Inn and hiked southern sections of the Appalachian Trail. That far out in the boonies, you need Verizon. The trail shuttle drivers will tell you that Verizon is the only way to go.

OTOH, T-Mobile's 55+ plan takes care of 99% of my needs. For the other 1% I still keep the PP PAYG.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    If you want to try Tmobile cheaply, get on Tello. $6/mo for talk/text/data. Let me know if you want further info.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I just switched from a family plan (our daughter went to Visible) to the 55 Magenta plan. One of the benefits of a Magenta plan is Netflix for free and half priced YouTube TV for 12 months. We already subscribed to both so that’s almost a $50 savings per month for the next year. We live out a ways and when we joined T-Mobile last year the best signal strength we had was 2 bars with speeds around 10. For the last month we have had 4 bars and average download speeds in the 30’s. It seems they are building out or improving existing towers. We were in Jordan Valley OR (look it up on a map) last week. We always carry a PagePlus flip phone for back country use. 3 years ago we had 1 bar of Verizon there. This time I had 4 bars of 5G with 175 mbps with TM and nothing on Verizon. They continue to improve.