Thread: Do I have T-Mobile 55+ 5g or not?

Device(s)
    iphone 12, Samsung Galaxy S22
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Do I have T-Mobile 55+ 5g or not?

I am on the 55+ senior magenta plan with 3 lines. I pay $90/month for those 3 lines ($35 each for the first 2 and another $20 for the third).
    I just looked at options to upgrade to the 55+ Magenta Max plan (thinking I might like to add Netflix) and noticed that under my current plan it indicates that I have 4g LTE data. It seems to imply that I need to upgrade to the Max plan in order to have 5g.

Well, when I signed up for the 55+ plan, I am sure it indicated 5g. My phone does have the 5g indicator lit up on it and data speeds are definitely in the 5g range (over 500mbps). So I am confused as to why T-Mobile states that my plan is 4g LTE.

Has T-Mobile changed their plans so as to not include 5g on the 55+ plan. Have I been grandfathered into still being allowed to use 5g?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    5G access at no extra cost
    5GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data
    5GB of 4G data in Mexico & Canada

So - you have 5G. Just LTE for 'mobile hotspot data'
    https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-...discount-plans
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that is what I used to see.
    When I signed up, I did see the page you referenced and it did say Magenta 55+ (NOT Magenta 1.0 Unlimited 55 which is what it says now).

When I go to the change plan page, this is what I see:

CURRENT PLAN:
    MAGENTA 1.0 UNLIMITED 55 (for $90 - 3 lines)
    High-speed data
    Unlimited 4G LTE- Included with Magenta® 1.0 Unlimited 55 (Current Plan)

Choose this plan:
    MAGENTA 55+ (for $105 - 3 lines)
    Unlimited 5G & 4G LTE with Unlimited Premium Data

There is a SEPARATE HOTSPOT section.
    It says that my current plan includes 3gb of 4g LTE hotspot data or 3g after 3gb.

Again, it almost looks like they have changed the plan but kept me grandfathered into 5g. Is this possible?

Feedback Score
    I have the same plan $90 three lines. You get 5G speeds. The different is hotspot data it's only LTE not 5G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Again...I am seeing 2 different sections in the plan specifications. One for data and the other for hotspot data. BOTH say 4G LTE (see my last post).
    And again, when I signed up, I signed up for the Magenta 55+ plan. It no longer says that but now says Magenta 1.0 unlimited 55

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, it's really not the plan that determines 5G access, it depends on local 5G coverage (5G towers), what type of phone (5G enabled or not with the correct frequencies), whether the billing system has an updated profile for the account/phone, and a modern SIM card installed in the phone (which it probably does already). Based on your user profile, it appears you have an iPhone 12 and a Pixel 3a.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    Just out of curiosity though...any idea why the specs under my current plan then would indicate 4g LTE and not 5g?
    Yes I use the iphone 12. I no longer own the Pixel.
    Thanks

EDIT: I am talking with a T-Mobile rep. Looks like I was right in assuming this is a discontinued plan and that I am grandfathered. I am being assured that it does allow 5g regardless of what the web description says.
    Last edited by californiajay; 06-07-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    californiajay, I have the same plan with only 2 lines with T-mobile. I own the Samsung S21 5G that works fine on 5G and my other line is an iPhone SE 2020 that lacks 5G. Both phones work just fine on their corresponding networks without any trouble.

One minor thing to remember about the Magenta 55+ plans is that when they were introduced, 5G was only offered in a few, select markets and not as widely as it is today. No point back then to promote 5G plans when the overwhelming majority of Americans only had access to 3G and 4G (LTE/VOLTE) networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Thanks.
    Just out of curiosity though...any idea why the specs under my current plan then would indicate 4g LTE and not 5g?
    Yes I use the iphone 12. I no longer own the Pixel.
    Thanks

EDIT: I am talking with a T-Mobile rep. Looks like I was right in assuming this is a discontinued plan and that I am grandfathered. I am being assured that it does allow 5g regardless of what the web description says.
    Rep is wrong. I have three phones - one Android two iPhones all 5GB enabled and they work perfectly fine on the 5G network. I have the old plan as you grandfathered before 5GB was out.