Thread: Verizon to expand 5G Ultra Wideband availability using CBRS spectrum

Feedback Score

Verizon to expand 5G Ultra Wideband availability using CBRS spectrum

MINNEAPOLIS, MN – Verizon customers will soon see an increase in capacity and speed on the 5G Ultra Wideband network with the addition of 5G service running over CBRS spectrum. Today, Verizon, along with strategic partner Ericsson, announced it has completed a 5G data session using CBRS General Authorized Access (GAA) spectrum. This trial indicates that Verizon and its vendors are ready to support 5G on both shared and Priority Access License (PAL) CBRS spectrum, which will supplement Verizon’s current deployment of 5G service over C-band and mmWave spectrum.

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...-cbrs-spectrum

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ugh. Access to Band n48 should NOT be restricted to premium unlimited customers.

Branding n48 as 5G UW is probably so they can deploy it in places they don’t have n77, or won’t have it until late next year. And if they use fat channels — GAA CBRS can be deployed in up to 100 MHz bandwidth — I can see wanting to acknowledge 100 MHz of n48 performing similarly to 100 MHz of n77. (Not the same, though, since Verizon isn’t using massive MIMO for CBRS like they almost always are for C-Band as far as I know.) But still. 5G Nationwide should have parity with LTE, rather than being a step back in terms of spectrum depth. Ugh ugh ugh

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Project Genesis (Dish), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Verizon to expand 5G Ultra Wideband availability using CBRS spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Ugh. Access to Band n48 should NOT be restricted to premium unlimited customers.
    Level X+1 of the data priority class system. Not surprised one bit, as that has been Verizon's MO for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Denying 5G Nationwide access to new spectrum is one thing, but taking existing LTE spectrum and moving it to 5G UW is quite another.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if those of us who are currently on 5G Home Internet (C-band, running the ASK-NCQ1338 white cube) will be able to take advantage of this without the need for new hardware?

I know that I’m screwed with my iPhone 12 not supporting N48, but hoping that it doesn’t screw me with my home Internet as well.

Feedback Score
    Ugh. Access to Band n48 should NOT be restricted to premium unlimited customers
    I knew that this is exactly what they would do with CBRS. They want people to be on the more expensive plans. It's effectively a price increase without having to increase prices for everyone. Start will get n13 an probably n66 and n2 and that's it. As much as they'd like to kill of Start they can't have their cheapest plan be $80 for 1 line. So this way they can say they offer a "cheap" plan knowing full well it's garbage compared to other carriers cheap plans.

Verizon shouldn't be denying any unlimited plan access to spectrum so they should have the balls to kill off those plans if they don't want to offer UW on them and that includes prepaid instead of playing this deception BS

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only problem I foresee with CBRS UWB coverage is the lack of range due to power restrictions. In the city you usually get around a half mile before CBRS outdoor signal drops outs. I imagine you would have to cut the half mile in half for decent indoor coverage depending on the building material. I agree that it is stupid that Verizon Wireless is locking down access to cellular bands based on your plan since that hurts network management.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score

Branding n48 as 5G UW is probably so they can deploy it in places they don’t have n77, or won’t have it until late next year. And if they use fat channels — GAA CBRS can be deployed in up to 100 MHz bandwidth — I can see wanting to acknowledge 100 MHz of n48 performing similarly to 100 MHz of n77. (Not the same, though, since Verizon isn’t using massive MIMO for CBRS like they almost always are for C-Band as far as I know.) But still. 5G Nationwide should have parity with LTE, rather than being a step back in terms of spectrum depth. Ugh ugh ugh
    It make Spectrum/Xfinity Mobile plans look great since they have access to these bands and in addition data usage does not count against the data cap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    The only problem I foresee with CBRS UWB coverage is the lack of range due to power restrictions. In the city you usually get around a half mile before CBRS outdoor signal drops outs. I imagine you would have to cut the half mile in half for decent indoor coverage depending on the building material. I agree that it is stupid that Verizon Wireless is locking down access to cellular bands based on your plan since that hurts network management.
    every bit helps. Even if the range is only a half mile everyone within that half mile with a n48 device on the plan that supports it will be helping relieve congestion. know at&t did petition the FCC for high power levels some time ago. I'm not sure hw they will rule on that. They may allow higher power levels in non DOD areas. There is no reason to not to do that