Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 forcing me to new phone

Feedback Score

Net10 forcing me to new phone

Hello, first timer, 15+ years Tracfone/Net10 user. Last year I damaged my flip and decided to go Smartphone. I got on N10 with a phone called Teracube. I got the warnings late last year saying my phone was not VoLTE compatible even though it loads Android 10. I got them to send me a free phone in the process but kept using the Teracube. Yesterday my month expired and going through My Account reloaded for another month w/unlimited text, data, the $20 option. I get the WifI back but the phone is not working and reflects a "no service" status in the upper right. I text THEN get called by support and going through the issues ask what my IMEI # is. I give it to them and they tell me that is NOT the IMEI associated with my account. Can that happen? Is this it with using a not-Net10 phone? Do I need to be patient with their phone support and ask them to modify something? I would prefer to keep using the Teracube. Please help me as I do not want to switch to the Moto G they sent me. Thank you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clownfeet View Post
    Hello, first timer, 15+ years Tracfone/Net10 user. Last year I damaged my flip and decided to go Smartphone. I got on N10 with a phone called Teracube. I got the warnings late last year saying my phone was not VoLTE compatible even though it loads Android 10. I got them to send me a free phone in the process but kept using the Teracube. Yesterday my month expired and going through My Account reloaded for another month w/unlimited text, data, the $20 option. I get the WifI back but the phone is not working and reflects a "no service" status in the upper right. I text THEN get called by support and going through the issues ask what my IMEI # is. I give it to them and they tell me that is NOT the IMEI associated with my account. Can that happen? Is this it with using a not-Net10 phone? Do I need to be patient with their phone support and ask them to modify something? I would prefer to keep using the Teracube. Please help me as I do not want to switch to the Moto G they sent me. Thank you.
    Have you turned the new free phone on? If not do that and see if it works.
    From what I've been reading from others, Net 10 has probably swapped your service to the phone they sent you. In the fine print for the free phone offer it said something like if you didn't transfer your service to the new phone they would do it for you. That may very well be what has happened. My guess would be the IMEI in your account matches the new phones IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Do you know which carrier you use? Net10 can be either AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. I believe AT&T is the strictest about phones it will accept. There are two Teracube phones on their whitelist, the 2E (TR20072EQ) and the Teracube One (TR1907Q). Is yours one of those or a different model?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Do you know which carrier you use? Net10 can be either AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. I believe AT&T is the strictest about phones it will accept. There are two Teracube phones on their whitelist, the 2E (TR20072EQ) and the Teracube One (TR1907Q). Is yours one of those or a different model?
    I am on AT&T. My Teracube is the TR1907Q.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Have you turned the new free phone on? If not do that and see if it works.
    From what I've been reading from others, Net 10 has probably swapped your service to the phone they sent you. In the fine print for the free phone offer it said something like if you didn't transfer your service to the new phone they would do it for you. That may very well be what has happened. My guess would be the IMEI in your account matches the new phones IMEI.
    I turned it on. It works. Your assessment sounds right. Thank you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I turned it on. It works. Your assessment sounds right. Thank you.
    Your welcome.

Feedback Score
    Is it feasible to switch to T-Mobile to get around this? Or should I just get on the horn with N10 and ask them to switch IMEI back to the Teracube (which I doubt they will do)?

Feedback Score
    They're obviously trying to force you to switch to Verizon service; I don't think they've offered me a free phone, but every time I log in to my account they claim my phone will stop working on 2/22/22 and I'm eligible for a free SIM and month of service. Which is funny, because I never got those notices when I was using an ineligible phone last year, but they started shortly after I switched to a Pixel 6 which is eligible.

You probably can switch back to your old phone by getting a new AT&T Net10 SIM and activating it with a transfer (not sure of the exact terminology). No guarantees that (a) it will work and (b) for how long. Same thing if you try to switch to T-Mobile I assume, but I don't have any experience with that.

Feedback Score
    Is it feasible to switch to T-Mobile to get around this? Or should I just get on the horn with N10 and ask them to switch IMEI back to the Teracube (which I doubt they will do)?
    If you were on ATT and and you're in a Verizon service area, which I assume you are since your new Vzw phone is working, you can't go back.
    And you said your Tera was non-Volte for Vzw so it can't be reactivated there anyway.
    If you want to remain with any TF company be happy with your new phone or move on to another carrier or phone.

Feedback Score
    They're obviously trying to force you to switch to Verizon service; I don't think they've offered me a free phone, but every time I log in to my account they claim my phone will stop working on 2/22/22 and I'm eligible for a free SIM and month of service. Which is funny, because I never got those notices when I was using an ineligible phone last year, but they started shortly after I switched to a Pixel 6 which is eligible.

You probably can switch back to your old phone by getting a new AT&T Net10 SIM and activating it with a transfer (not sure of the exact terminology). No guarantees that (a) it will work and (b) for how long. Same thing if you try to switch to T-Mobile I assume, but I don't have any experience with that.
    Yeah I was getting those messages too saying my VoLTE was not working. I was able to get a free phone out them but I am not sure how you could unless you are on the phone with them and ask for one, depending on your service rep. I have been looking at the teracube forums and they suggested switching to tmobile but that leads to more problems.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone was bought by Verizon and they will migrate the service to Verizon network. Purchased was approved by relevant government regulators so if anyone is not happy, they have plenty of time to move to a different provider.
    https://www.fcc.gov/transaction/verizon-tracfone
    https://www.tracfonewirelessinc.com/...zonacquisition
    You can also stay on a plan that TracFone offered prior to being acquired by Verizon until at least November 23, 2024.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have been looking at the teracube forums and they suggested switching to tmobile but that leads to more problems.
    Switching from AT&T to T-mo only lets you escape AT&T's onerous whitelists but not TF's coercion to switch to Verizon.

Feedback Score
    How dares Verizon "coerce" people to switch on Verizon network! They should give free phones!
    Oh, wait, they did that, and people are still upset!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Carrier(s)
    TF/TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    How dares Verizon "coerce" people to switch on Verizon network! They should give free phones!
    Oh, wait, they did that, and people are still upset!
    Tracfone offered three carriers, so obviously there are going to be many people who chose a different carrier from VZ, for various reasons. It could be coverage, or they could dislike VZ, or their phones will not work with VZ (and don't want a free junk throw-away phone), and I'm sure many other reasons they do not want to be forced onto VZ. They have options, like changing companies, but in many cases, like mine, they might have another two or three years that they paid for up front. So, the right way for VZ to handle this if they are going to force a user off of their network is to REIMBURSE them if they have prepaid.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @PL1

Well said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast