Thread: Need a 4G flip phone before July. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score

Need a 4G flip phone before July. Any suggestions?

Been using a Samsung SGH-E720 (or that style) for close to 20 years. I love it. So much so, years ago I bought 3 extras to replace a phone when one goes bad. A couple of years ago I ran across a new Nokia 6310 and switch between the two. T-Mobile says I have to switch to 4G by July. I'm looking for any unlocked flip phone sold in any country that will work with T-Mobile. No apps, no web, no Google, no GPS, just a basic flip phone. Older style is fine as long as it is 4g. Preferably Samsung as I like their OS.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsalt22 View Post
    Been using a Samsung SGH-E720 (or that style) for close to 20 years. I love it. So much so, years ago I bought 3 extras to replace a phone when one goes bad. A couple of years ago I ran across a new Nokia 6310 and switch between the two. T-Mobile says I have to switch to 4G by July. I'm looking for any unlocked flip phone sold in any country that will work with T-Mobile. No apps, no web, no Google, no GPS, just a basic flip phone. Older style is fine as long as it is 4g. Preferably Samsung as I like their OS.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    I've heard good things about sunbeam wireless. No B71, so it may not work well in certain rural areas.
    https://sunbeamwireless.com/carriers/

Nokia has some basic phones too.

But overall, it's really hard to find a basic phone these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    I've heard good things about sunbeam wireless. No B71, so it may not work well in certain rural areas. https://sunbeamwireless.com/carriers/

Nokia has some basic phones too.

But overall, it's really hard to find a basic phone these days.
    B71 is still not found in some inexpensive or older model phones. T-Mo reception could be pretty bad in my hilly and forested area. We are talking about no signal a mile from the tower. Not sure if the addition of B71 has changed that. The towers are too sparse and too short here.

You have to be careful about Nokia phones, as many do not have all the North American LTE bands. The Nokia 2760 sold by Tracfone and Straight Talk seem to according to Nokia. You would have to first activate them on that service (Verizon), then get them unlocked after 60 days to use in other service. Late model Tracfone brands are "DL" models that have the hardware to run on all US carriers, but are SIM locked at first.

It is harder these days to activate phones where you want, because of the carrier "whitelist" requirements. Not sure if T-Mo is better than the others for this.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Project Genesis (Dish), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I know some that like the Sonim devices, there’s the XP3plusfor $210, that is geared for an outdoor environment.

There's also a basic flip by a brand called Schok, but I don’t know how well it would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Besides the one on the website. You can get ZTE cymbal, cymbal 2. Alcatel go flip 1, 2, 3 and 4 is the one in their website.
    They all support 4g LTE and VoLTE.