Thread: Can a phone be activated using another *un*activated phone+plan?

Feedback Score

Can a phone be activated using another *un*activated phone+plan?

So suppose I use rewards points to buy the refurb iPhone XR for $180 and a new flip phone for $20. The refurb XR needs a plan purchase, so suppose I get the lowest-priced $15 plan for the XR.

Now suppose I want to activate the flip phone, using the $15 plan that came with the XR.
    And I don’t want to activate the XR at all.
    Can this be achieved?

Thank you very much for all help!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or a brand new phone!)
    You can sign up for Red Pocket and get $25 off your monthly-plan order using my referral code. Feel free to PM me for the codes. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Now suppose I want to activate the flip phone, using the $15 plan that came with the XR.
    Can this be achieved?
    Nope. The required-purchase airtime is preloaded to the SIM of the phone that required it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    So suppose I use rewards points to buy the refurb iPhone XR for $180 and a new flip phone for $20. The refurb XR needs a plan purchase, so suppose I get the lowest-priced $15 plan for the XR.

Can this be achieved?

Thank you very much for all help!
    I was also thinking about this; that it would be nice if this can be Accomplished.
    As an example, for a Situation where one has a Refurb phone that they want to trade in to lets say trademore. Would one just send it to trademore Unactivated? Can this be done, would the fact that the Refurb still has Unactivated Service Plan attached to it affect the trade in process in any way? Anyone experienced/tried this?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars84 View Post
    As an example, for a Situation where one has a Refurb phone that they want to trade in to lets say trademore. Would one just send it to trademore Unactivated? Can this be done, would the fact that the Refurb still has Unactivated Service Plan attached to it affect the trade in process in any way? Anyone experienced/tried this?
    Whether the phone was activated, locked or unlocked, doesn't affect its trade-in value with Trademore. They tell you to remove the SIM before sending it in. So it makes no difference if the SIM is active, inactive, has any service plan attached to it.

In regard to sillyette's question...if she's going to trade in the XR and doesn't want to waste its preloaded airtime, she can activate the XR then activate the flip phone with a transfer from the XR to harvest the preloaded airtime. Reward points notwithstanding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    In regard to sillyette's question...if she's going to trade in the XR and doesn't want to waste its preloaded airtime, she can activate the XR then activate the flip phone with a transfer from the XR to harvest the preloaded airtime. Reward points notwithstanding.
    Nope, I don't have any plans for trading in. In fact, I don't even have enough rewards points .

I just like to think (dream! ) of various ways in which rewards points could be maybe redeemed for maximum efficiency! And since someone I know has been wanting a non-refurbished flip phone, I included a flip phone in my daydreaming!