Thread: T-Mobile >>> Verizon broke Google Voice

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Truphone, Three, FreeUp
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile >>> Verizon broke Google Voice

I made the switch from t-mo to verizon. All went smoothly but now my Google Voice number does not ring my phone. I've done all permutations of deleting and re-adding my tracfone number to GV with no luck. The caller hears five rings then my gv voicemail picks up...no rings on my end. I'm using a Samsung S21.

I've got another tracfone verizon sim in an iphone that does work with my google voice number. Trac shows both numbers as "Device unknown". Is sim swapping a possibility? Thanks

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've seen this happen in the past when a friend of mine changed carriers (porting his number over) and I could temporarily not call him using my GV method (he changed carriers; I did not).

I don't know how to describe it other than to say that there appears to be routing information that takes time to update in the carrier calling world and how it relates or interfaces with Google Voice servers. So when carriers get changed and the destination number ends up on a different one, GV servers can't "find" it immediately. Internally, GV still thinks your carrier number is on T-Mobile. I've never heard of anyway to speed that up.

For my situation with my friend, things cleared up after about three days. No comfort for you if you're depending on it, but that's what will probably happen.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I've seen this happen in the past when a friend of mine changed carriers (porting his number over) and I could temporarily not call him using my GV method (he changed carriers; I did not).

I don't know how to describe it other than to say that there appears to be routing information that takes time to update in the carrier calling world and how it relates or interfaces with Google Voice servers. So when carriers get changed and the destination number ends up on a different one, GV servers can't "find" it immediately. Internally, GV still thinks your carrier number is on T-Mobile. I've never heard of anyway to speed that up.

For my situation with my friend, things cleared up after about three days. No comfort for you if you're depending on it, but that's what will probably happen.
    THANKS! Your explanation makes sense and is actually much comfort Like many folks these days my phone is infrequently used for voice so three days is no sweat. I'll post back if/when it clears up.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    If you need it to work immediately, change the GV app setting to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data", which should allow the GV app to ring and be answered for incoming calls, as long as you have working data available.

Hopefully that will just be a temporary change, if what whacker described happens after a few days, although GV can be over data only 100% of the time, if so desired.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If you need it to work immediately, change the GV app setting to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"...
    More good advice. This worked. Thanks!

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As predicted it resolved itself. GV incoming calls now ringing phone. It only took two days. Separately tracfone gave me 1gb of data but no extra month for the switch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    Separately tracfone gave me 1gb of data but no extra month for the switch.
    Was the last refill on your line a 1GB add on? The same thing happened to my dad when he switched ATT to Verizon, and I just realized that I topped off his data in May as soon as he reached 1,000 points.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowLoris View Post
    Was the last refill on your line a 1GB add on? The same thing happened to my dad when he switched ATT to Verizon, and I just realized that I topped off his data in May as soon as he reached 1,000 points.
    Yes last refill before switch was 1gb add on also from points.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear about the forwarding working again. Some things maintain their quirks over the years.