Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile crowned Best Mobile Network for 5G, speed, and reliability after 10,000 mile test

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile crowned Best Mobile Network for 5G, speed, and reliability after 10,000 mile test

The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Much of this is of course urban. Ironically, PCmag would have stated Verizon over TMobile in LA, if it were not pure numbers. TMobile did win one of the rural areas, oddly enough... Northeast. I suspect that it was mostly due to keeping it Boston and south, and east of i95. I will state that T-Mobile is must faster than At&t where I am, but go a couple of miles off the main highway/ interstate, and TMobile is more of a no show.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Much of this is of course urban. Ironically, PCmag would have stated Verizon over TMobile in LA, if it were not pure numbers. TMobile did win one of the rural areas, oddly enough... Northeast. I suspect that it was mostly due to keeping it Boston and south, and east of i95. I will state that T-Mobile is must faster than At&t where I am, but go a couple of miles off the main highway/ interstate, and TMobile is more of a no show.

LOL, if you look solely at download speeds in areas where T-Mobile has a 5G network, then yes, T-Mobile is the winner for 5G speed.

But if you look at the big picture, the reality is quite different. See https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...study-volume-1

Verizon ranks first in every region. T-Mobile ranks last in five out of six regions.

The reality is that a phone user is not going to notice the difference in download speeds between 150Mb/s and 250Mb/s unless they're downloading some huge files which is atypical. Even if they're using their phone as a hotspot they won't notice the difference.

What T-Mobile has done has to more quickly overlay 5G on top of their 4G network, without first addressing the coverage issues in their 4G network. They prey on people that lack critical thinking skills who don't understand what to look at when choosing a carrier. T-Mobile postpaid is less expensive than AT&T or Verizon postpaid to be sure. But if coverage and quality are important, you're better off to be on prepaid from AT&T or Verizon, or from an AT&T or Verizon MVNO, than to be on T-Mobile

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree. The 'average user' (probably ~+90% of consumers) aren't caring about '1-2ms difference of lag, nor can most realize whether they're really on 4G LTE or 5G with 'ultra capacity'. I have both AT&T (iPhone 12) and T-Mobile (S21). In daily use, there's little to no difference 'in the city'. Outside of the city... T-Mobile is hot/cold. Either it's very good, and there's a tower nearby ... or its useless, or worse, 'No Service'.
    AT&T and even more so Verizon have more rural coverage. Since the vast majority of T-Mobile customer are urban/suburban (just like all carriers), they've focused on them. To appease those that travel, they've added more highway coverage and some rural (much more than they had years ago, before B12). This still doesn't bring them to match AT&T or Verizon in many places for coverage... just speed and capacity, while selling the image of rural. JD power pretty much hits it. TBH, if my cost and overall services were the same on AT&T vs. T-Mobile, I'd pick AT&T for coverage. Right now, all of these carriers are bumping up prices, and I'm on a legacy with kickbacks and free lines (5 lines for $140 incl tax/fees), and I have never been throttled (yet).

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I agree. The 'average user' (probably ~+90% of consumers) aren't caring about '1-2ms difference of lag, nor can most realize whether they're really on 4G LTE or 5G with 'ultra capacity'. I have both AT&T (iPhone 12) and T-Mobile (S21). In daily use, there's little to no difference 'in the city'. Outside of the city... T-Mobile is hot/cold. Either it's very good, and there's a tower nearby ... or its useless, or worse, 'No Service'.
    AT&T and even more so Verizon have more rural coverage. Since the vast majority of T-Mobile customer are urban/suburban (just like all carriers), they've focused on them. To appease those that travel, they've added more highway coverage and some rural (much more than they had years ago, before B12). This still doesn't bring them to match AT&T or Verizon in many places for coverage... just speed and capacity, while selling the image of rural. JD power pretty much hits it. TBH, if my cost and overall services were the same on AT&T vs. T-Mobile, I'd pick AT&T for coverage. Right now, all of these carriers are bumping up prices, and I'm on a legacy with kickbacks and free lines (5 lines for $140 incl tax/fees), and I have never been throttled (yet).
    I'm wondering when AT&T and Verizon are going to decide that all those MVNOs undercutting their prices are no longer worth the extra revenue. So far, Verizon hasn't raised prices on Visible or on the Tracfone brands that they acquired. But some of the MVNOs have been raising prices, like Consumer Cellular (AT&T/T-Mobile) and U.S. Mobile (Verizon or T-Mobile). AT&T also raised prices on Cricket.

At some point, the top tier carriers will just say "if all you care about is the lowest price, and coverage has no value to you, then you should go to T-Mobile." I guarantee that a lot of the people that leave will be back on AT&T or Verizon pretty quickly. I've surely made that mistake in the past, and I warn people to look beyond saving a couple of bucks a month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For the past couple of years, T-Mobile has been 'sell - sell - sell' (always be closing) - urban/rural - wherever. Many customers were tempted by T-Mobile's 'no taxes/fees' and other bits such as international/Netflix bits. Even Sprint customers have regret over T-Mobile in many places. I'll be curious to see in ~1 week the Sprint customers that remain, as well as the rural T-Mobile customers that can't roam on Sprint anymore.

Feedback Score

Yes, a much more accurate picture of relative coverage between the carriers would be to randomly select a few hundred geographic points in the "Lower 48" and compare coverage there. I do not find much value in the "studies" which are set up to weed out places where the coverage is poor: "News! Carrier is GREAT in places where it works!"

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Agreed... much of T-Mobile's coverage push is typically written by sales/marketing and scrutinized by lawyers. Of course, all carriers do this, but some of the hype of T-Mobile's is a little more obvious... especially when it only is advertising '5g' coverage comparisons.
    I'll be curious to see how much USCC roaming I'll do in northern Maine in a few weeks.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We were in Maine last year (Acadia National Park). Excellent Verizon coverage. I didn't bring a T-Mobile phone on the trip so I could not check coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I drove through part of Maine... i95 to Bangore and over to Bar Harbor. Most of the coverage was LTe600 or nr71. Bar Harbor had just deployed n41. I'll see how much better it should be this summer, as I drive to Halifax from Boston.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I live in NYC and have all three carriers. Tmobile is by far the best when it comes to connecting a call, call quality and internet speeds. Yeah you have some occasional spots here and there where you might drop a call or the call becomes distorted but that is normal for all cell phone companies. At&t is meh and Verizon has lost its MOJO. Verizon was once the best now it can't seem to catch up with the times. Calls tak forever to connect and once connected, calla are not clear. When I travel I bring all my phones because back in the days tmobile often did not work so I had the other ones as back up. I haven't had to use my att or Verizon phones in the last 2 years. Tmobile has consistently worked for me better than the rest.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    People dog T-Mobile but they dont understand, T-Mobile is for equality, they had their employees data hacked and stolen along with their customers, because how can you empathize your customers pain if you dont feel it yourself, they believe in everyone being paid a fair wage, so they paid the hackers $200,000 for all of their work. They lastly believe in families spending quality time together, without the distractions that cell phones offer, so they refuse to put any type of backup power on most of their sites, so whenever power goes out families wont have the distraction of their phones to interrupt them. They ignore large patches of the country, because they feel those people are family oriented, and dont need the distraction that modern conveniences bring.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I live in NYC and have all three carriers. Tmobile is by far the best when it comes to connecting a call, call quality and internet speeds. Yeah you have some occasional spots here and there where you might drop a call or the call becomes distorted but that is normal for all cell phone companies. At&t is meh and Verizon has lost its MOJO. Verizon was once the best now it can't seem to catch up with the times. Calls tak forever to connect and once connected, calla are not clear. When I travel I bring all my phones because back in the days tmobile often did not work so I had the other ones as back up. I haven't had to use my att or Verizon phones in the last 2 years. Tmobile has consistently worked for me better than the rest.
    Thanks for sharing. I'll be in NYC/ Manhattan in July myself.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I suspect that in part, T-Mobile knows where it can gain the most customers ... obviously, the largest cities. Demand is the highest, n41 is most usable, easier access to fiber, customers, infra, etc. I'm curious to see how well Boston has become.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I suspect that in part, T-Mobile knows where it can gain the most customers ... obviously, the largest cities. Demand is the highest, n41 is most usable, easier access to fiber, customers, infra, etc. I'm curious to see how well Boston has become.
    What was annoying was when T-Mobile complained to the FCC that AT&T and T-Mobile were charging too much for roaming data. T-Mobile wanted it both ways, they didn't want to spend the capital necessary to improve their coverage in rural areas but they also didn't want to pay what AT&T and Verizon demanded for roaming data.

AT&T and Verizon's position was 'hey, we spent a fortune to expand coverage in areas where we knew that we would never gain enough customers to pay for that infrastructure but we did it because we wanted to provide coverage for our subscribers that visit or travel through those areas.'

There's nothing wrong with T-Mobile continuing to be a primarily urban carrier and charging less for a less capable product. If they want to entice customers with free Netflix, a free taco bell taco, and free Burger King Whopper, instead of by providing better coverage, that's their choice, but it's incumbent upon cellular users to understand the compromises that they're making in terms of quality of service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast