Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone phones being sold right now - Will they get VoLTE on TMo & VZW after unlocking?

Feedback Score

Tracfone phones being sold right now - Will they get VoLTE on TMo & VZW after unlocking?

Looking at the phones that Tracfone sells on their web site currently, I see that they are all DL model phones.

My understanding of DL is that once unlocked, the phones should work on TMo and AT&T (provided they pass the AT&T whitelist), in addition to working on Verizon.

Three questions -

(1) Can someone tell me if they will also get VoLTE on whichever carrier they are used on (once they are unlocked of course)?

(2) Is that true also for the non-smartphones they are selling right now? Will the current models of flip-phones get VoLTE after unlocking?

(3) Is the Moto G Pure the only phone that will work on all 3 carriers after unlocking, or are there others?

TIA.

Feedback Score
    Afaik no DL phones are on the ATT whitelist.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Afaik no DL phones are on the ATT whitelist.
    There are a few.
    Moto-G 5G (XT2213-1, XT2213-2 XT2113-3,
    XT2213DL), G Stylus 5G (XT2131-1, XT2131-3, XT2131-4,
    XT2131DL)
    G Stylus 2022 (XT2211-1, XT2211-2, XT2211DL)
    G Play 2021 (XT2093DL)
    G Pure (XT2163-2, XT2163-4, XT2163-6, XT2163-
    2PP, XT2163DL)
    LG-Classic Flip (L125DL)
    Journey (L322DL)
    Premier Pro LTE (LML414DL, LML413DL)
    Solo LTE (L423DL)
    I also saw some Alcatel and TCL models listed
    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    My understanding of DL is that once unlocked, the phones should work on TMo and AT&T (provided they pass the AT&T whitelist), in addition to working on Verizon.

Three questions -

(1) Can someone tell me if they will also get VoLTE on whichever carrier they are used on (once they are unlocked of course)?

(3) Is the Moto G Pure the only phone that will work on all 3 carriers after unlocking, or are there others?
    I have these TF-unlocked phones: Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020, Moto E 2020, a Samsung A50, two Samsung A51s. I've been using one A51 with a FreeUP AT&T SIM since Feb 2022 and it has VoLTE. Initially, FreeUP said it was compatible, but about two weeks ago I got warning messages that it's not. It's still working though. I'm using the other A51 with a Walmart Freedompop SIM which uses T-mo and it has VoLTE. Tomorrow I'll getting another Walmart Freedompop SIM to use in the Moto E 2020, I'll let you know the result.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Looking at the phones that Tracfone sells on their web site currently, I see that they are all DL model phones.

Three questions -

(2) Is that true also for the non-smartphones they are selling right now? Will the current models of flip-phones get VoLTE after unlocking?

TIA.
    Getting current and recent Tracfone branded phones unlocked would not have any effect on if it will get VoLTE on Tracfone or other services. VoLTE is not disabled in current and recent Tracfone models. All of the carriers now want phones on their system to use VoLTE. IIRC, AT&T, having shut down 3G, only uses VoLTE for voice service. Verizon is expected to finally shut down CDMA voice at the end of this year. Verizon has not allowed activation of phones without VoLTE for several years on themselves and their MVNOs.

I have a TF branded Moto E6 using TF on T-Mobile. It uses VoLTE. The same E6 unlocked from TF works with Visible which is VoLTE only for voice service. The IMEI of the E6 is not accepted as compatible for ordering Visible service, but putting an activated SIM in it works fine.

I think it is safe to say that any Moto that TF currently sells will work with VoLTE on any service provider. Whether other service providers will accept the IMEI of a TF model is not guaranteed.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    ^^^And any lack of acceptance is likely based on some flimsy, convoluted rationale intended only to provide a barrier to devices completely compatible technically with the carrier, due to reasons we can only guess are to some financial benefit to them (mainly referring to AT&T).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I've been perplexed as to why the AT&T branded version of the Moto G Play is not on the whitelist but the TF version is. Makes no sense to me.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I've been perplexed as to why the AT&T branded version of the Moto G Play is not on the whitelist but the TF version is. Makes no sense to me.
    Those AT&T whitelists don't make any sense at all. The TF-branded Samsung A50 is on the whitelist but the TF-branded A51 is not.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    There are 2 lists. Is it on the list for AT&T branded devices?

Feedback Score

boom! Mobile

Ah. If I read the models they are all xt2093 variants, just not listed together. I need more sleep....
    So the att version of the g play is on one line and the DL is listed as 2021 g play is listed on another. So the att version is listed...but moto and at&t make it confusing...
    Last edited by cnypackerfan; 06-25-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnypackerfan View Post
    Ah. If I read the models they are all xt2093 variants, just not listed together. I need more sleep....
    Ooof, I think you're right. It was the separation that probably threw me. I have too many phones...

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    I just activated a new (refurbished) iPhone 11 that I got from Total Wireless and I had rebranded as a TracFone and it's using VoLTE now on a TF/VZW SIM card and it's not yet unlocked (I just activated it a couple hours ago so I still have 60 days left).
    WiFi calling works also.
    Last edited by Brian VT; 06-28-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    iPhone 11 on Tracfone/VZW.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I was looking at 5g phones on the TF eBay store and checking the model numbers on the AT&T whitelist.

XT2115DL moto g stylus 6.8"
    5g
    128gb
    104.++
    Phone only
    Not ATT Whitelisted
    (XT2115-1 but not XT2115DL)

N1374DL nokia 6.5" 5g
    G300 (N1374DL)
    Whitelisted
    99.99 phone only (no years service at this price, 149.++ with service).

I was thinking of trying a larger phone as a phablet. With 5g on the horizon I thought it might be better to buy a phone that can do 5g as well as Whitelisted. Unfortunately the Stylus I listed isn't Whitelisted, but it's bigger than my biggest phone (6.5" Moto G Play xt2093dl).

The Nokia I guess may not be as good as the Motos. I used to have Nokias on TF & AT&T back in 2005-2006 but none since.

Question; after unlocking, even if the Stylus is not AT&T whitelisted, could it run ok on T-Mobile or T-Mo MVNOs? Because it would then be able to run on Red Pocket $30/yr plan.

Anyone have any opinions on the Stylus XT2115DL or Nokia G300 (N1374DL)?

I'm not ready to pay over $120-130 for a phone right now. Might be better off buying an actual tablet. A Chrome touchscreen tablet that's not too big is on the list. The 10" Lenovo I was looking at doesn't have the greatest reviews.

Thanks.

Sent from my moto g play (XT2093DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The AT&T whitelist applies only when using an AT&T sim/tower.

Something about guaranteeing a connection to the 911 system.

T-Mobile/Verizon do not seem to be worried about this. Although Verizon is picky about phones for other reasons I guess.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I was thinking of trying a larger phone as a phablet. With 5g on the horizon I thought it might be better to buy a phone that can do 5g as well as Whitelisted. Unfortunately the Stylus I listed isn't Whitelisted, but it's bigger than my biggest phone (6.5" Moto G Play xt2093dl).

Question; after unlocking, even if the Stylus is not AT&T whitelisted, could it run ok on T-Mobile or T-Mo MVNOs? Because it would then be able to run on Red Pocket $30/yr plan.

I'm not ready to pay over $120-130 for a phone right now. Might be better off buying an actual tablet. A Chrome touchscreen tablet that's not too big is on the list. The 10" Lenovo I was looking at doesn't have the greatest reviews.
    Forget about 5G right now... It's mostly hype. There's at least three different implementations of 5G, and the most widely deployed and used version in these cheaper phones is kind of fake 5G. It's reusing the same bands/frequencies as 4G LTE, just with a more efficient encoding method and some CA (carrier aggregation)/channel bonding MIMO for extra speed.

Secondly, I think you understand the VoLTE mess/whitelist we have right now. 5G is the same way right now. Verizon 5G is not compatible with T-Mobile 5G and also not compatible with AT&T 5G. Each carrier has their own different implementation of 5G, using different bands/frequencies. All these Tracfones are probably only capable of Verizon's version of 5G. Wait another five years or so for 5G to mature and become somewhat standardized.

The most important spec is processor then screen size, screen resolution, RAM/ROM, battery size.

Motorola Moto G Stylus (2021)
    6.8" FHD+ 1080 x 2400 pixels
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 678 Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 460 Gold (Cortex-A76) & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver (Cortex-A55))
    4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, 4000 mAh battery

Nokia G300 5G
    6.5" HD+ 720 x 1600 pixels
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 480 Octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
    4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, 4470 mAh battery

The phones are fairly close in specs. SD678 is only a smidgen faster than the SD480. Moto G Stylus has a better and larger 1080p screen. Moto G Stylus should be okay on T-Mobile and its MNVOs after unlocking. No guarantees though. Only way to check is to get an IMEI and verify it with the BYOD chcker.

If you don't need a phone right now, it's probably better to get a cheap tablet like the Amazon fire for around $50-80, and then hack it to install google apps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast