Thanks, Slepy, for all the info on 5g. Where I'm at now if it's specific to carrier, VZ isn't so great for data although calls are fine. 5g probably wouldn't penetrate these walls even if they were to implement it nearby. I'm fairly close to the airport. T-Mo is the nearest tower.

The Stylus could run on Red Pocket T-Mo if it passes the checker. Since I use WiFi mostly, data would just be backup but it'd be nice to have mobile data that works.

If the Stylus has good WiFi I can use it primarily as a tablet.

I currently have a Amazon Fire 7 that I was able to convert to use Google Play apps but it's a bit slow. I do like the size. I use it for reading pdf's primarily.

I was thinking if I got a tablet that was configured to Android or Chrome out of the box it might work better than the Amazon-Google hybrid.

Still, for the price of recognized brand tablets, a phablet might be more useful because it's still a phone & can do cellular data if needed.

So far the TF Stylus looks to be the biggest phablet in TF's store for a price I'd be willing to pay. But it hinges on whether or not I could run it on T-Mo after unlock.
Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
Forget about 5G right now... It's mostly hype. There's at least three different implementations of 5G, and the most widely deployed and used version in these cheaper phones is kind of fake 5G. It's reusing the same bands/frequencies as 4G LTE, just with a more efficient encoding method and some CA (carrier aggregation)/channel bonding MIMO for extra speed.

Secondly, I think you understand the VoLTE mess/whitelist we have right now. 5G is the same way right now. Verizon 5G is not compatible with T-Mobile 5G and also not compatible with AT&T 5G. Each carrier has their own different implementation of 5G, using different bands/frequencies. All these Tracfones are probably only capable of Verizon's version of 5G. Wait another five years or so for 5G to mature and become somewhat standardized.

The most important spec is processor then screen size, screen resolution, RAM/ROM, battery size.

Motorola Moto G Stylus (2021)
6.8" FHD+ 1080 x 2400 pixels
Qualcomm Snapdragon 678 Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 460 Gold (Cortex-A76) & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver (Cortex-A55))
4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, 4000 mAh battery

Nokia G300 5G
6.5" HD+ 720 x 1600 pixels
Qualcomm Snapdragon 480 Octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, 4470 mAh battery

The phones are fairly close in specs. SD678 is only a smidgen faster than the SD480. Moto G Stylus has a better and larger 1080p screen. Moto G Stylus should be okay on T-Mobile and its MNVOs after unlocking. No guarantees though. Only way to check is to get an IMEI and verify it with the BYOD chcker.

If you don't need a phone right now, it's probably better to get a cheap tablet like the Amazon fire for around $50-80, and then hack it to install google apps.
Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app