Thread: So what's with T-Mo's caller ID while abroad?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score

So what's with T-Mo's caller ID while abroad?

While in Prague I received a couple of calls from the US and the caller ID showed a number from Germany and another call showed it being from Croatia. Neither incoming number displayed was even remotely close to the caller's number. One call, however, did have the right number.

I consulted the googler on the issue and it seems it's been going on for awhile but everyone having the issue was using an iphone where I have an Galaxy S9.

Is this a widespread thing? I know many people here have traveled abroad and I'm curious what everyone's experience has been.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suspect this is an issue to do with the roaming carrier and/or the fact that you are outside of the US. What works in the US, may not work the same internationally. I have travelled to Europe on more than one occasion, but I generally turn on Airplane mode to avoid having to pay roaming charges.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    While in Prague I received a couple of calls from the US and the caller ID showed a number from Germany and another call showed it being from Croatia. Neither incoming number displayed was even remotely close to the caller's number. One call, however, did have the right number.

I consulted the googler on the issue and it seems it's been going on for awhile but everyone having the issue was using an iphone where I have an Galaxy S9.

Is this a widespread thing? I know many people here have traveled abroad and I'm curious what everyone's experience has been.
    When I travel to Greece the same thing happens to me. I have no idea why but it just does. You are not the only one. I have a Samsung and my wife has apple, same thing on both phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

I suspect that they are routing calls in such a way to minimize the cost to the carrier in countries with the bizarre "Caller Pays" system. CallerID is not being passed through.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I suspect that they are routing calls in such a way to minimize the cost to the carrier in countries with the bizarre "Caller Pays" system. CallerID is not being passed through.
    That brings back memories of wireless in Canada... local roaming + long distance dial arounds.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There are shady companies that compete in the international call routing business. They route calls over VoIP and terminate from regular phone numbers rather than as a wireline carrier. This is somewhat like Grey Routing.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You mean like the spoofed spammers locally.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    You mean like the spoofed spammers locally.
    Not exactly. They perform a service by alternate means, which have undesirable side-effects.