Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activating non Verizon service on TracFone

Feedback Score

Activating non Verizon service on TracFone

We know Verizon is heavily pushing all TracFone users to VZW, but as of right now it is still possible to activate/transfer to ATT or TMO service. There is a 'dealer' activation deadline that is supposedly July 1st, so I tried to transfer one of my Verizon lines to ATT today.

The website now prompts for an IMEI, so I gave it an IMEI for a Pixel 4a 5g which it took just fine, and gave me the standard 'wait till your old service stops' message. Eight hours later, the old Verizon line is still working and the new ATT line is not. Tried to chat to figure out what's going on (usually this means that someone didn't push the internal port through -- in my experience this either works automatically or never does) and they said they can't fix it and a 'higher department' will call me back in 15 minutes.

I don't really expect the call back, so looks like I'll get to use Executive Department to see what's next. Will wonder if I get the run/around/lies that my phone won't work with ATT, etc (which I know it is fine and is on the whitelist).

Just creating this thread to document my experience and let anyone else chime in with recent experiences trying to withstand the Verizon onslaught, and especially what happens after July 1st...

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doing a cross-carrier transfer requires some human intervention by TF Port Dept. Doing it on a Friday or during the weekend usually takes longer.

Feedback Score
    hpham I've done multiple cross network transfers online with no intervention before, basically all directions (VZW->ATT, ATT->VZW, VZW->TMO) etc. Maybe my luck finally ran out. I will saw that they did call me back in 15 minutes (announced as 'TracFone Executive Support') but the person was a chowderhead who kept insisting I was porting from a 'different provider' (which I suppose is technically true) and I have to wait at least 24 hours and there is nothing that can be done right now (I was expecting someone to say 'who lets call the porting department to push the port through, etc)

Anyway, 50/50 shot that it does resolve itself on its own, but expect it won't, will call tomorrow again and see if I get any better luck getting someone to actually fix it. If not, typical TracFone circle of hell, just keep calling till you get someone who can actually do something.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    hpham I've done multiple cross network transfers online with no intervention before.
    I believe there's human intervention involved but you don't notice it if done during the time someone is on duty at TF Port Dept and takes care of it right away. Occasionally, when there was a delay and you contacted TF about it, the rep would contact the Port Dept and ask them to push it through.

Feedback Score
    Called today to Executive Support (as said, they are open every day, even though it says they aren't) and they said they had to schedule a call back. The call back was a bit late, but I did get call back from porting department who said the port wasn't actually happening, so they pushed it through manually and asked me a bunch of questions about billing address and zip code, which I told them was never on my account, but they said they needed it for a manual port. No problem.

They pushed it through and twenty minutes later on hold still no change (both on their side or mine) so they said it would take another two hours and they would call me back again. They did give me their direct phone -- 866-806-1840 along with a ticket number.

We'll see how all this pans out and if my balances end up coming over after all this 'manual' porting. I'm not optimistic, and because I don't have a separate ticket with the balance saved in a ticket, that will be another fun conversation. But I took the risk -- it was about 5 gigs of data and a year of service, so its something but not a huge amount as others have had to fight over, either.

Feedback Score
    New ATT BYOP device is now working for text and data but not calls. Volte shows available but not on. The account still shows as 'activating' on the website so I can't see balances and texting balance to 611611 gets no response though other codes work. So it kind of seems like the phone is half active. Will let it go another day before I call back to see if I can at least verify the balance transferred even if I get the run around on voice (this phone is explicitly on atts accepted model list).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    New ATT BYOP device is now working for text and data but not calls. Volte shows available but not on.
    Run the Network Signal Info app and see what kind of signal it's receiving (3G or 4G). Is the APN set correctly (although you said Data is working)?

Feedback Score
    I think I downloaded the wrong app but the one I downloaded show 4g and it's a Pixel 4a 5g like you have, so it shows the stylized 5g that I usually see with ATT service (their fake 5g?). Yes data works fine and speed test shows and amazing 100 Mbps down so I did not want to use up what I have on speed tests.

For me the odd behavior is that app showed no volte which would explain why no calls but *#*#4636#*#* showed volte provisioned but greyed out... Feel like maybe this old BYOP ATT sim isn't allowing it.

Feedback Score
    When I switched my BYOP from AT&T to T-Mobile in Feb 2022, the CSR had me do a System Network reset.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think I downloaded the wrong app but the one I downloaded show 4g and it's a Pixel 4a 5g like you have

Feel like maybe this old BYOP ATT sim isn't allowing it.
    I have a Pixel 4a 4G.

Does that AT&T SIM have "27" or higher in the 9th & 10th digits (counting from left) ?

Feedback Score
    Tried both data reset and verified my sim does have 27 in those spots. Account still doesnt show active on website or app and I still can't get balance or make or receive calls.

Will see if tomorrow brings better news but hoping with both a direct number and ticket I can get someone to finish this. The bot messaged me to use chat, fyi chat explicitly told me they can't resolve this...

Feedback Score
    Also installed the right app and it lte/5g under voice network so I assume that means that part is ok?

Feedback Score
    For me the odd behavior is that app showed no volte which would explain why no calls but *#*#4636#*#* showed volte provisioned but greyed out... Feel like maybe this old BYOP ATT sim isn't allowing it.
    As far as I remember, if the VoLTE switch is on, but grayed out, that means VoLTE is on, and grayed out so you can't turn it off. So as far as the phone is concerned, all is good.

So the sim has set up the phone, but AT&T isn't buying it. AT&T is blocking the connection on their end. Maybe the sim is not the latest and greatest. Maybe TF didn't do something right.

One time, I wanted to try TF VZ BYOP, so I set up a line with a ported number on a compatible BYOP phone. The line refused to have VoLTE.

I called CS until I eventually gave up. They swore it was completely perfect in their system and they couldn't do anything. It wasn't an oldie sim.

I think they usually offer to start over with another sim, but I wasn't interested and just ported out the number.

One time, an AT&T line had all kinds of problems, and the CS who answered my BBB complaint was able to delete the account with a reset and reconstruct it using the same sim again. But I think those days are gone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also installed the right app and it lte/5g under voice network so I assume that means that part is ok?
    The information is not actually valid until the app is run when a call is in progress and shows Voice using LTE /4G/5G. Back when I had a phone with no VoLTE on AT&T, the app would show LTE/4G for Voice before a call was made, but when the call was in progress it changed to UMTS/3G.

Name:  LG-Q6-LTE-Before-Call.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-HSPA-during-call.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  45.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Credit where credit is due -- my TracFone service is now active on ATT BYOP. The only remaining problem is when I text BAL to 611611 I get no response, but this is a typical unrelated problem (and the person I talked to said its typical that system is delayed). My talk/text/data/expiration date now all shows correctly on both the app and website, and I was able to verify call/text/data after I was transferred a second time from Executive Support to Porting (the first time, they would not transfer me, but instead scheduled a call back). When I tried to call Porting directly a second time and entered my reference number it then asked me for the phone number again, said porting was still in place and just hung up on me. LOL.

So while a little bumpy and it required at three calls to resolve (one to stall me, one that actually got me to porting, and a third one that got me to porting again, where it took them around fifteen minutes to finish the port). This definitely worked for me seamlessly online before, but as hpham said, that likely means someone in porting picked it up and did everything behind the scenes, while maybe they aren't as on the ball on the weekend, or I just got unlucky this time.

Either way, I would say for anyone who has to do a cross carrier transfer to use chat or maybe just directly call Executive Support to do it. PS, Separate topic about zip code -- my zip code reset back to Miami after the port, which is my experience when I transferred ATT->VZW last week (that one went through in a couple hours with no issue).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast