Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited hotspot

Feedback Score

Unlimited hotspot

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll try here. If I have a house with good wireless signal (most if not all carriers are good) but there is no landline internet available, what are my options for inexpensive cellular data shared via hotspot so that multiple family members can use it on laptops, smart tv, etc? Probably would want a lot or unlimited data. Visible is a no go because of their single user hotspot.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    I'm not sure where to post this so I'll try here. If I have a house with good wireless signal (most if not all carriers are good) but there is no landline internet available, what are my options for inexpensive cellular data shared via hotspot so that multiple family members can use it on laptops, smart tv, etc? Probably would want a lot or unlimited data. Visible is a no go because of their single user hotspot.

Just my opinion, but I don't think that wireless carriers would allow such a heavy draw on their capacity unless you had multiple hotspots/accounts to divide the load. Even then, you might be disappointed because there is load balancing among the other subscribers. Depends on where you live and what it can handle. It's not a big pipe like regular cable.

Feedback Score
    I use RedPocket GSMA (AT&T). $50/month gives 100GB data, all of which can be used for hotspot, which is great.

My roommates and I have at least 8 or 9 devices connected to the hotspot at any given time. Speeds are good. I don't think there's any limit on the number of devices that can be connected.

I had looked around a lot, and found this RedPocket plan to be the best solution for home internet. PM me for my RedPocket referral code - you'll save $25 off your first month payment so you'll get 100GB for $25 for the first month.

Edited to add - The plan comes with unlimited talk and text too, by the way. Plus international calling is free. We use it on a Moto E6.
    We've never gone over 100GB in a month; usually use around 80GB max.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE2, iPhone 6, Blu V5
    Carrier(s)
    Visible (VZN), Tracfone (VZN), TruPhone (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Unlimited hotspot

The visible work around is to hotspot directly to a WiFi extender/router, then you can do several devices.

Having said that, Visible is not intended to be used by more than the one person with the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

iPhone SE2 on Cricket (Primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone/Mint Mobile (Backup)
    iPhone 6 on Tracfone - VZ (Backup)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post

Not knowing how much TV you plan to watch, keep in mind per a google search:
    An hour on the low-quality setting would use 300MB. Running the medium quality setting would use up to 540MB. In a High-quality setting, It would burn up to 1020MB or 1GB of data per hour.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There is no affordable solution in the context of what you’re asking. Just like sillyette saying she uses under 100 GB on a hotspot deal for $50/ month, you’re talking about normal free flowing internet, which that amount is not.

You’d be better off checking out a service like T-Mobile Home Internet or Verizon’s similar service. T-Mo is $50/mo.; Verizon is more, depending on if you’re a cellular customer. Then you can let loose and stream TV.

Feedback Score
    a viable option for the OP may also be prepaid home internet if the home is in a covered area. in Comcast markets prepaid cable internet is not widely advertised but available for $50/month. the starter kit is $85.00 and includes the modem and first month

seems a lot of people are assuming fixed wireless is the only route for a no contract, no commitment prepaid offering. prepaid cable is often a better solution though

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Moto E (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, Tracfone, TextNow, FreeUP Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    a viable option for the OP may also be prepaid home internet if the home is in a covered area. in Comcast markets prepaid cable internet is not widely advertised but available for $50/month. the starter kit is $85.00 and includes the modem and first month

seems a lot of people are assuming fixed wireless is the only route for a no contract, no commitment prepaid offering. prepaid cable is often a better solution though
    Don't understand all the other negative responses. Agree, OP needs to check eligibility for home internet (T-Mo and Verizon). Nomad Internet and Starlink Internet are also options if OP wants to pay the freight. Agree that wired is usually better than wireless, but not sure if cable is available to OP based on initial post.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    From bits and pieces it seems the wireless Home Internet being offered is mostly only available in areas that already also have cable or wired internet (dsl). More population, more revenue and money spent for capacity to handle it.
    Unfortunately outlying areas that don't have a wired/cable option also don't have the population the networks feel are worthy of infrastructure to provide wireless Home Internet.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Anecdotally, it seems like T-Mobile is trying to both offer service (TMHI - T-Mobile Home Internet) as competition in already served areas, and to simply offer it in areas where their network already exists and permits it.

For instance, in my small town there is T-Mobile cellular coverage (I've had a PAYGO line since 2005), and it's been updated to LTE (and probably 5G as well). But they don't offer their TMHI to compete with Comcast (firmly entrenched) or AT&T DSL (with its really limited speeds, but a lot of older legacy customers who've stayed with them for VoIP/Landline phone service).

But 10 miles away there's an even smaller town where I'm hearing via Facebook page reports that T-Mo is offering TMHI, where the only serious competition is AT&T DSL. There is a smattering of Starlink trial customers, as well as some Hughes and Viasat people. Most likely also some fixed wireless as well (WISP).

There are also some serious efforts on the part of the township and county governments to get fiber service owned by someone up and running out there and all over my area, since there's govt. money now available for it in some cases.

Movement into the high-speed internet age is happening, depending on where you're at.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Anecdotally, it seems like T-Mobile is trying to both offer service (TMHI - T-Mobile Home Internet) as competition in already served areas, and to simply offer it in areas where their network already exists and permits it.

For instance, in my small town there is T-Mobile cellular coverage (I've had a PAYGO line since 2005), and it's been updated to LTE (and probably 5G as well). But they don't offer their TMHI to compete with Comcast (firmly entrenched) or AT&T DSL (with its really limited speeds, but a lot of older legacy customers who've stayed with them for VoIP/Landline phone service).

But 10 miles away there's an even smaller town where I'm hearing via Facebook page reports that T-Mo is offering TMHI, where the only serious competition is AT&T DSL. There is a smattering of Starlink trial customers, as well as some Hughes and Viasat people. Most likely also some fixed wireless as well (WISP).

There are also some serious efforts on the part of the township and county governments to get fiber service owned by someone up and running out there and all over my area, since there's govt. money now available for it in some cases.

Movement into the high-speed internet age is happening, depending on where you're at.
    T-Mo can only offer home Internet in locations where they have excess network capacity to support it without degrading service to their core mobile users. That means primarily in urban and suburban areas where their network is adequate for it. That also means running it primarily on 5G band 41. Band 41 does not have great range from the cell for rural areas.

Another factor limiting rural capacity is backhaul. They can have loads of capacity in the cell signals, but without adequate backhaul that becomes a slow bottleneck.

T-Mo went from very poor coverage in the rural county next to mine when they deployed band 71 to pretty well covered. It is well covered, but slow, like 1-3 Mbps. My guess is that they don't have backhaul. The county is known for not having much cabled high speed Internet.

That said, T-Mo is getting as much wireless home Internet out there as fast as they can and doing it more and faster than anyone else. Verizon doesn't have spectrum for excess capacity to do much until they can turn on a lot more C-Band next year. I don't know what AT&T is doing.

I don't think limited availability of T-Mo home Internet is due to not wanting to compete with cabled ISPs.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    My best advice to anyone interested in TMHI is to check https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet/eligibility as often as practical, because availability can change moment by moment. TMHI availability for my address came and went multiple times before I decided to finally sign up when it was again available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    My best advice to anyone interested in TMHI is to check https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet/eligibility as often as practical, because availability can change moment by moment. TMHI availability for my address came and went multiple times before I decided to finally sign up when it was again available.
    I don't need it, but I checked. It is not available at my address. That is a good thing. T-Mo is atrocious at my home. I don't know if 5G would be better. I don't have a 5G phone.

In other forums I have seen reports of people getting it by using an eligible address and having it shipped to their real home address. Also reports of being able to get it at a T-Mo store despite the online eligibility checker saying no. The store employees probably get sales quota/commission on it so they bend the rules. None of this does you any good if you have poor signal where you live.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    In other forums I have seen reports of people getting it by using an eligible address and having it shipped to their real home address.
    My understanding, at least as far as Verizon's Home Internet, is that it can't be used except at your home. Not portable like a Hot Spot device. Don't know how they do that except maybe assign it somehow to the tower closest to your home so it only works there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    My understanding, at least as far as Verizon's Home Internet, is that it can't be used except at your home. Not portable like a Hot Spot device. Don't know how they do that except maybe assign it somehow to the tower closest to your home so it only works there.
    Both restrict service to the registered home address in the TOS.

I have seen reports that neither are enforcing that so far. Some of the reports are from people traveling around by RV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast