Thread: Tmobile July security update removes n41 SA on S21

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Tmobile July security update removes n41 SA on S21

Just a notice for some, n41 SA doesn't appear to be an option on S21 TMobile after July patch updates. Doesn't affect me in my area, as I could only get n41 SA in the Los Angeles basin. I suspect that it is a method to keep users from solely using n41, and forcing to n71, lte or n66, in an effort to control use. I.e. if they want to throttle, they can boot you from n41 NSA. If you have selected n41 SA only, you end up with no service or 1Gbps.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Just a notice for some, n41 SA doesn't appear to be an option on S21 TMobile after July patch updates. Doesn't affect me in my area, as I could only get n41 SA in the Los Angeles basin. I suspect that it is a method to keep users from solely using n41, and forcing to n71, lte or n66, in an effort to control use. I.e. if they want to throttle, they can boot you from n41 NSA. If you have selected n41 SA only, you end up with no service or 1Gbps.

I find it hard to believe that T-Mobile would "throttle" by forcing you on a much more capacity strained / spectrally limited band , including in the case for B2/B66 spectrum which T-Mobile plans to shift to NR and is actively looking for ways to decrease usage on.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that T-Mobile would "throttle" by forcing you on a much more capacity strained / spectrally limited band , including in the case for B2/B66 spectrum which T-Mobile plans to shift to NR and is actively looking for ways to decrease usage on.
    If n41 is removed from the band selection menu, then they obviously want to prevent people from locking onto it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's my suspicion.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    On a quick note, I received the July update on my U1 S22 and n41 SA is still an option to manually select. Unfortunately though, NSA NR-CA band info is still not enabled.

Name:  Screenshot_20220711-072312_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  36.4 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where I am, n41 SA isn't enabled (only n41 nsa, and +100MHz of it). For now, I'll just keep having n71 NSA disabled, which still allows for n71 sa in some instances, and get n41 nsa with lte CA.
    Only time that I saw n41 sa was in Los Angeles.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Ah ok. SA n41 isn't enabled on the network side here either. Glad it's still an option because I do check periodically but not sure if they will enable that here. I've been watching and must say I'm impressed with their upgrades here. Should be getting a 5 MHz chunk of n66 here after they shut 3G down.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If I recall, those areas near Detroit had quite a bit of spectrum, and it was a good amount, all the way up to Bay City. After that, it 5-10MHz of PCS/AWS, 5MHz of B12 and then ... 15MHz of B71 (which helped a LOT).
    Up in the boonies, some counties were (are?) B12/B71 LTE + 5G.. eg. Charlevoix MI.
    I'll be curious to see how well (or poor) T-Mobile fares going from Boston to Halifax. Upstate ME is 5MHz of B71, not sure how much on n71.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I think if they wanted to throttle or deprioritize your connection, there's far better ways to do it than to force the phone to a more congested band. I do suspect they just don't want people manually picking bands and would prefer to have the network make that decision for you. (On Verizon, I've sometimes started on a congested band, then gotten shifted to a less-congested one once I started using traffic, on the other hand if you were near the fringe of band 41 coverage it might get you good speeds but use inordinate amounts of resources compared to if you were a bit closer to the site, in which case they may prefer you on a higher-range band.)

Too bad though, I do prefer more control on my phones not less.