Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BYOP TF-ATT sim swap still possible?

Feedback Score

BYOP TF-ATT sim swap still possible?

I have 2 BYOP TF-ATT sims.

One sim (Sim A) is linked to a BYOP phone. I had to give the IMEI of the phone when activating the sim.

The other sim (Sim B) is not linked to any IMEI, I never provided IMEI to Tracfone. It is in a really old BYOP phone.

Unfortunately the phone I was using Sim B is really old and stopped working.

Can I put Sim B into the Sim A BYOP phone temporarily to see if Sim B still works?

I want to continue using Sim A with its phone as it's my main phone. I only want to temporarily check Sim B. Would it be safe to do this sim swap?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, TF doesn't yet "rigidly pair" a BYOP TF/AT&T or T-mo SIM to an IMEI. So you can still swap those SIMs into different phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    As far as I know, TF doesn't yet "rigidly pair" a BYOP TF/AT&T or T-mo SIM to an IMEI. So you can still swap those SIMs into different phones.
    thank you! guess it is safe to put Sim B into Phone A and hope when I put Sim A back into Phone A, all will be good.

Feedback Score
    I also have two BYOP TF-AT&T sims.

I swap them around all the time. I put them in spare phones to see how they're doing. I don't use them all the time because I have lines on another MVNO.

AT&T knows what IMEI is being used. They don't care as long as the phone/sim are acceptable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I also have two BYOP TF-AT&T sims.

I swap them around all the time. I put them in spare phones to see how they're doing. I don't use them all the time because I have lines on another MVNO.

AT&T knows what IMEI is being used. They don't care as long as the phone/sim are acceptable.
    Thank you both for your help.

I put Sim B into Phone A and unfortunately I think they shut down Sim B. I still have minutes and service dates for Sim B account. Do either of you know how I can get them to make my sim start working again?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In your 1st post, you said the phone that had SIM B is old and stopped working. Did TF shutdown SIM B already before you put SIM B into phone A?

Feedback Score
    In your 1st post, you said the phone that had SIM B is old and stopped working. Did TF shutdown SIM B already before you put SIM B into phone A?
    TF might have shutdown SIM B. My phone stopped working over a month ago. I haven't gotten around to testing Sim B until now.

Feedback Score
    They will pause a sim if it shows inactivity for a period of time.

You can contact them and they will re-start it.

Feedback Score
    They will pause a sim if it shows inactivity for a period of time.

You can contact them and they will re-start it.
    thank you.

I tried via chat and I think the chat rep broke something. He said he tried to activate it, but it's been over 30 minutes and I still don't have service. He said he will call me back tomorrow morning. I have a bad feeling I'm about to lose my remaining service dates, minutes, texts, and data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post
    thank you.

I tried via chat and I think the chat rep broke something. He said he tried to activate it, but it's been over 30 minutes and I still don't have service. He said he will call me back tomorrow morning. I have a bad feeling I'm about to lose my remaining service dates, minutes, texts, and data.
    Try this corporate number tomorrow: 305-640-2000 x1029

Chat doesn't have some powers. They will fake that they are doing something when they don't know what to do, or can't do it on their system. And I doubt that they will call you back.

I doubt if you will lose anything. It will just sit there until someone actually does something.

Feedback Score
    Try this corporate number tomorrow: 305-640-2000 x1029

Chat doesn't have some powers. They will fake that they are doing something when they don't know what to do, or can't do it on their system. And I doubt that they will call you back.

I doubt if you will lose anything. It will just sit there until someone actually does something.
    Thank you. Corporate forwarded me to porting department even though I told them I am not porting a number. It was already a TF number. The saga continues

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post
    Thank you. Corporate forwarded me to porting department even though I told them I am not porting a number. It was already a TF number. The saga continues
    They might force you onto a Verizon sim because they are obsessed with doing that. They will say that this is the only way to fix things. This technically makes it a port ATT to VZW behind the scenes. You will need to select a phone for them to use as an IMEI and then actually use it (I think).

I guess there might be a way to stay on ATT.

Feedback Score
    They might force you onto a Verizon sim because they are obsessed with doing that. They will say that this is the only way to fix things. This technically makes it a port ATT to VZW behind the scenes. You will need to select a phone for them to use as an IMEI and then actually use it (I think).

I guess there might be a way to stay on ATT.
    I lucked out. I ended up talking to someone knowledgeable in porting department. She had to do a manual activation, but couldn't use my existing BYOP ATT TF sim because it was used before.

I had another BYOP ATT TF sim that was never used and she was able to fix my service using that sim.

Feedback Score
    That is really good news.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    TF has claimed for many years that they cannot re-use an AT&T SIM, but every once in a while a CSR will actually re-use one.
    You cannot talk them into it, it has to be their idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast