Thread: Reactivate old line using points and unlock phone?

Feedback Score

Reactivate old line using points and unlock phone?

I purchased a refurbished Samsung A21 from TF and activated it using a basic $20 90 day card that I bought from Target. I received 6000 points from using a referral.

Timeline:
    2/13/2022 - Activated using the $20 90 day card
    5/15/2022 - Phone deactivated after 90 days

I'd like to do 3 things, not sure if this is possible.
    1. Can I reactivate it using my rewards points to purchase a refill card?
    2. After I reactivate, can I migrate this active service to another phone and get that phone unlocked since this service would have more than 60 days? The other phone I have is a refurbished TF iPhone XR that came with a TF sim.
    3. I think I have until July 15 to use my rewards points before they expire since I currently don't have active service. IS this right? If yes, can I use my points to buy $20 90 day cards for another Sim I have?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1. You can't use points to (re)activate a phone. When redeeming points for time card you have to specify which number to apply the card to. An inactive phone doesn't have a number.
    2. If the XR is already active, you'll have to merge the balance and days from the reactivated A21 to the XR.
    3. Is "another SIM " active? If not, see answer #1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1. You can't use points to (re)activate a phone. When redeeming points for time card you have to specify which number to apply the card to. An inactive phone doesn't have a number.
    2. If the XR is already active, you'll have to merge the balance and days from the reactivated A21 to the XR.
    3. Is "another SIM " active? If not, see answer #1.
    1. Interesting. I did a test rewards purchase and it took me to the last page of checkout. I selected the 1500 points 30 day smartphone card. The site let me select the phone number of my A21, even though the service expired on 5/15.

2. The XR is not active. I purchased it refurbished and it has just been in the box. Do you know if I reactivate the A21, can I somehow migrate the service to the XR and then request an unlock of the XR?

3. The other SIM is active. I was able to do a test rewards purchase, but I remember reading about issues where points would be taken out of the wrong account. Do you know if I really have 60 days after the service expired to use the points before the points expire?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post
    1. Interesting. I did a test rewards purchase and it took me to the last page of checkout. I selected the 1500 points 30 day smartphone card. The site let me select the phone number of my A21, even though the service expired on 5/15.

2. The XR is not active. I purchased it refurbished and it has just been in the box. Do you know if I reactivate the A21, can I somehow migrate the service to the XR and then request an unlock of the XR?

3. The other SIM is active. I was able to do a test rewards purchase, but I remember reading about issues where points would be taken out of the wrong account. Do you know if I really have 60 days after the service expired to use the points before the points expire?
    1. I don't know. Never been in that situation before. It's a known requirement that a purchased time card is required to (re)activate a phone.

2. If you get the A21 reactivated, you can activate the XR with a transfer of service from the A21. The XR will be unlocked after 60 days if there are at least that many days left on the A21. I've read some posts that an iPhone get unlocked after 60 days even if it was not active for the entire 60 days, but I have no personal experience with that.

3. Lately, things are so screwy with TF Reward that nobody can give a definite answer about redeeming points from one account for a phone in another account.

I've read posts that an account is closed if there was no active line in it for 60 days. When the account is closed, its reward points are gone. If you have more active lines than accounts, just move one line into the account to keep the account and its points alive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33b13 View Post
    3. I think I have until July 15 to use my rewards points before they expire since I currently don't have active service. IS this right?
    I have an account that hasn't had a line in it since April 8. It was down to about 100 points. I was periodically checking the account to see if the points went away. While in the account, I answered the poll and clicked the social media share, accruing additional points. On July 8, I moved a line into that account and redeemed 500 points for 1000 texts. So, that account lasted about 90 days without an active phone line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowLoris View Post
    I have an account that hasn't had a line in it since April 8. It was down to about 100 points. I was periodically checking the account to see if the points went away. While in the account, I answered the poll and clicked the social media share, accruing additional points. On July 8, I moved a line into that account and redeemed 500 points for 1000 texts. So, that account lasted about 90 days without an active phone line.
    Thanks for this info!