Thread: Use of 2.4GHz and 5GHZ at same time on JetPack 8800L hotspot - hardware questions

Device(s)
    Sumsung Galaxy S10 (2 - 1 for wife), MiFi Jetpack 8800L
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Use of 2.4GHz and 5GHZ at same time on JetPack 8800L hotspot - hardware questions

My wife and I are full-time RVers and depend on our MiFi Jetpack 8800L (VZW grandfathered unlimited data plan) for all of our internet connectivity needs. It's been a very reliable device and I've just now had to replace the battery after 3-1/2 years of use (I use a programmable timer to limit the charging time each day). We are retired and use the device/internet for email, browsing/surfing (I'm a moderator on an RV forum), downloading books to our Kindles, connecting our YoLink hub for smart devices in the RV, and streaming video from a couple of services to our ROKU HDTV. We don't game.

We have a mix of 2.4GHZ and 5GHz devices in the rig. I've read about the theoretical advantages of 5GHz over 2.4GHz but the hotspot has remained in 2.4GHz only mode for the primary network since we got it. My question concerns enabling both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the primary network at the same time. Will this increase the power consumption (draw on the battery and, therefore, increased charging time)? Will it increase the heat inside the hotspot which would shorten the lifespan of either the device or battery?

Thanks!

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_L53 View Post
    My wife and I are full-time RVers and depend on our MiFi Jetpack 8800L (VZW grandfathered unlimited data plan) for all of our internet connectivity needs. It's been a very reliable device and I've just now had to replace the battery after 3-1/2 years of use (I use a programmable timer to limit the charging time each day). We are retired and use the device/internet for email, browsing/surfing (I'm a moderator on an RV forum), downloading books to our Kindles, connecting our YoLink hub for smart devices in the RV, and streaming video from a couple of services to our ROKU HDTV. We don't game.

We have a mix of 2.4GHZ and 5GHz devices in the rig. I've read about the theoretical advantages of 5GHz over 2.4GHz but the hotspot has remained in 2.4GHz only mode for the primary network since we got it. My question concerns enabling both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the primary network at the same time. Will this increase the power consumption (draw on the battery and, therefore, increased charging time)? Will it increase the heat inside the hotspot which would shorten the lifespan of either the device or battery?

Thanks!

Rob
    The Wifi transceivers in a router are pretty low power. Most of the power is used to run the CPU.

I would not expect running simultaneous dual band Wifi to cause any of the problems you asked about.

How active the Wifi is does make a small difference. I have measured it on a router. The router runs [email protected] when idle. While streaming video it used [email protected] - 50mA/0.25W difference.

If you run into problems with crowded 2.4 GHz Wifi, 5GHz might help with that.

I diagnosed a problem with the boy's Internet in an apartment. They were paying for 100 Mbps cable Internet. They were getting ~1 Mbps on 2.4 GHz Wifi. I checked and there were dozens of 2.4 GHz SSIDs running and hardly any on 5 GHz. That explained it - too much interference on 2.4.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I suppose the WiFi environment in a RV park is about as congested as in an apartment building. Keep in mind that the speed of the WiFi will be many times faster than the speed of the cellular connection. So, any 5 GHz advantages will be largely theoretical, particularly inside the RV.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I suppose the WiFi environment in a RV park is about as congested as in an apartment building. Keep in mind that the speed of the WiFi will be many times faster than the speed of the cellular connection. So, any 5 GHz advantages will be largely theoretical, particularly inside the RV.
    I wonder if the RVs mostly have metal skins if much Wifi makes it out of the RV.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I wonder if the RVs mostly have metal skins if much Wifi makes it out of the RV.
    Many, if not most, RVs have aluminum frames with fiberglass exteriors these days. Some entry-level travel trailers have aluminum siding but most motorhomes (excluding the class B vans) and large fifth wheels (like ours) are fiberglass. We are currently in a small RV park on an Army installation. There are 12 spaces in a lawn and woods setting and none of the 12 RVs in the park have metal siding.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_L53 View Post
    Many, if not most, RVs have aluminum frames with fiberglass exteriors these days. Some entry-level travel trailers have aluminum siding but most motorhomes (excluding the class B vans) and large fifth wheels (like ours) are fiberglass. We are currently in a small RV park on an Army installation. There are 12 spaces in a lawn and woods setting and none of the 12 RVs in the park have metal siding.

Rob
    Thanks for that info. Have you tried the simultaneous dual band?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for that info. Have you tried the simultaneous dual band?
    Yes - and as suggested - didn't notice any difference. Download speeds are all over the place depending on the moment I test, anyway. Fortunately, of the two parks on post, we're in the one on the west fence next to town and the towers. The farther one moves down the peninsula or toward the bay, the harder it is to get signals for any of the carriers. Such is life on a military installation. Also, the local Verizon store says crews are "messing with" the towers... likely working on 5G, midband, etc. That variation would mask any small differences I would see between 2.4 and 5GHz, I think. Anyway, I turned the 5GHz back off. It suits my minimalist leanings.

Rob