Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After switching to Verizon sims, data no longer works on our phones

Feedback Score

After switching to Verizon sims, data no longer works on our phones

As the title says.
    Both phones are iPhone SEs. My phone was unlocked direct from Apple and worked great for a year with an AT&T sim. When I was forced to switch to a Verizon sim, the phone is now basically a brick except at home on WiFi.
    It will show "No Service" most of the time, and I have to turn it off and on again to even get TFW to show up
    Despite having 5 bars, I cannot load a single app, webpage, imessage - nothing will load.
    People tell me they can't call and get me; I'll have the phone on, ringer up, it shows TFW, but no calls come in.

My husband also switched to a TF-supplied iPhone SE this week.
    Same problem.
    No data, no ability to get online, despite 5 bars.
    He has been traveling from PA to WV today, and the problem has persisted; it's not just a small regional issue.

So
    Is this widespread?
    Any solution?
    If not, we have to find an AT&T MVNO, stat. He needs data for work.

How is Cricket? Any other recommendations? I'm desperate!

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried a carrier update on the phone? Have you tried a network reset on the phone?

Apple has a page talking about these two thing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Have you tried a carrier update on the phone? Have you tried a network reset on the phone?

Apple has a page talking about these two thing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415
    I will look at the page, but these were not problems until the new TF sims were inserted. I find it hard to believe it'd be an Apple-based problem.
    But I am off to check your link.

How do I do a carrier update? Do I need TF's help? Because they're bloody hopeless.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2020, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If the above and other suggestions don't help, you can also try calling the Tracfone corporate office and have them look at the account.

305 640-2000 x1029

All my iPhone SEs (20+22) work fine with TF/Verizon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can almost guarantee that the OP needs to update the APN stored in the phone to correct the internet/data issue.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I can almost guarantee that the OP needs to update the APN stored in the phone to correct the internet/data issue.
    How do we do this?
    Sorry, not phone-savvy and trying hard to remain that way.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    Sorry, not phone-savvy and trying hard to remain that way.
    Why would someone prefer to remain clueless and helpless?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Let's place nice now....

If I knew the process on an iPhone and the correct APN, I would have offered the OP more help. I was hoping the community could help the OP. I confess that I am an Android phone freak instead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Seriously, I'd just like my phone to work. I don't want a degree in tech support.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    Which iPhone SE are you using? OG 2016, SE2 2020, newest 5G 2022? Report back the iOS version and Carrier Profile version in Settings -> General -> About.

Carrier Profile is the iPhone version of the APN needed for VoLTE/Data, which is updated by Apple. You might also need to do a network reset Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

At worst, you need to generate a Custom Profile (APN) from http://www.unlockit.co.nz/. Connect to WiFi and surf to that site using Safari. Look for Tracfone (Verizon). Try a few different ones. Generate and install. VoLTE requires correct APN/Carrier Profile (data) settings to work. This is why you're not getting calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Which iPhone SE are you using? OG 2016, SE2 2020, newest 5G 2022? Report back the iOS version and Carrier Profile version in Settings -> General -> About.

Carrier Profile is the iPhone version of the APN needed for VoLTE/Data, which is updated by Apple. You might also need to do a network reset Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

At worst, you need to generate a Custom Profile (APN) from http://www.unlockit.co.nz/. Connect to WiFi and surf to that site using Safari. Look for Tracfone (Verizon). Try a few different ones. Generate and install.
    Thanks so much.

SE2 2020
    iOS is 15.6 (just updated today)
    Network TFW WiFi
    Carrier TFW 50.0.0.1

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    SE2 2020
    iOS is 15.6 (just updated today)
    Network TFW WiFi
    Carrier TFW 50.0.0.1
    Looks up to date. Try the network reset first, reboot. If it doesn't work. Try to generate a custom profile from that unlockit site.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ -> Create APN -> Carrier -> Verizon (LTE)
    Create APN button -> Allow

back to Settings -> General -> Profiles -> APN Carrier Settings from unlockit -> More Details

verify the Cellular Settings/Advanced Settings says Name: vzwinternet

back -> Install (top right corner)

It might require a reboot afterwards.

Also, double check if the phones are correctly associated with the right SIM ICCID, and you didn't accidentally swap them.
    Remember to turn off WiFi when testing data on the phone. Try to make a call too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Looks up to date. Try the network reset first, reboot. If it doesn't work. Try to generate a custom profile from that unlockit site.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ -> Create APN -> Carrier -> Verizon (LTE)
    Create APN button -> Allow

back to Settings -> General -> Profiles -> APN Carrier Settings from unlockit -> More Details

verify the Cellular Settings/Advanced Settings says Name: vzwinternet

back -> Install (top right corner)

It might require a reboot afterwards.

Also, double check if the phones are correctly associated with the right SIM ICCID, and you didn't accidentally swap them.
    Remember to turn off WiFi when testing data on the phone. Try to make a call too.
    Thanks. There's no chance sims were swapped - these switches to Verizon sims were made several weeks apart.

I reset the network settings. But I have no service at my house so I don't know if that worked. I have the usual 1 bar "no service" or 1x showing. (This is with Verizon sim; with my AT&T sim I had 3 bars and I could actually use it as a phone most of the time.)

I will test later when out.

I read ahead on your suggestions and I don't seem to have Settings -> General -> Profiles

I have no "profiles" anywhere that I can find.
    I can't find the advanced settings or anything that tells me what APN setting I have. I know it exists, but there must be some other way to find it other than the iphone's search bar.
    And I don't think I'm able to "install" anything on an iphone. They have this ecosphere locked down tight.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I will look at the page, but these were not problems until the new TF sims were inserted. I find it hard to believe it'd be an Apple-based problem.
    But I am off to check your link.

How do I do a carrier update? Do I need TF's help? Because they're bloody hopeless.
    That link that I posted shows how to do both the carrier update and network reset.

I have seen some phones after so many updates sometimes locks in network settings and carrier settings. Then when you switch carriers, sometimes these settings does not want to switch correctly.

I have seen this with a few Android phones too.

Feedback Score
    What process did you use to activate the new sim and new phone when you got them?
    How long has it been ?

...........But I have no service at my house so I don't know if that worked. I have the usual 1 bar "no service" or 1x showing. (This is with Verizon sim; with my AT&T sim I had 3 bars and I could actually use it as a phone most of the time.)
    If you have no solid Verizon service at your home if I'm understanding that comment, why bother with Vzw ? Change to an ATT mvno.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast