Thread: Rebuilt S7 Edge, now can't get signal

Feedback Score

Rebuilt S7 Edge, now can't get signal

Looking for advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

I have replaced every part of a Galaxy S7 Edge to fix multiple problems (some parts more than once due to breakage). Everything finally looked good but I can't get any signal from Verizon. I replaced the GSM and WiFi antenna cables, no change. There is a third u.fl antenna-style cable that runs from one point on the mainboard to another point on the mainboard ... I did not replace that one.

The last LCD screen replacement came with the midframe attached and the multipurpose bottom board installed. I decided to use that instead of having to unglue the display and glue it back on to the existing frame. Before I go ahead and replace the midframe, I'd like to figure out exactly where the problem is (if possible).

My questions are: (1) I believe the midframe is involved in signal reception ... how is it connected to the boards for that purpose? (2) Is the third cable mentioned in my first paragraph involved in signal reception? (3) Are there any diagnostics that might help me isolate the problem? The *# codes I have found online do not do anything (maybe Verizon blocks them).

Device(s)
    Iphone XS, Google Pixel 6, Motorola G power 2021
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The S7 edge is an old phone I would check if it's still supported on the network. Hate to see you put all that work on the phone and you can't use it. I heard of people on here having problems using a newer S8 on their carriers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    The S7 edge is an old phone I would check if it's still supported on the network. Hate to see you put all that work on the phone and you can't use it. I heard of people on here having problems using a newer S8 on their carriers.
    I am fairly certain that model supports LTE/VOLTE. I suspect that there is a broken antenna connection somewhere inside the phone from the OP's description.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    The S7 Edge definitely still works on the LTE network. It was working fine before, other than having a broken screen, a non-working camera and slow performance. I know people with the S7 using them today.

I will wait to see if anyone has experience tearing one down and knows how the frame works. If not I will have to take it apart. I have spare frames and multipurpose boards.

Feedback Score
    Maybe try over at XDA?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Here is how the story ends. I had never realized that the three 'covers' in the Edge, which basically hold everything in, are actually antennas too. The problem was that (after taking it apart so many times, as well as the phillips heads/driver getting worn) I had become lazy about tightening the screws. A new screwdriver and more patience fixed it! They apparently weren't making good enough contact with the contact points on the boards. It's working fine.