Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: So It's True That The Cell Phone Industry Sucks After All

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I wonder about that too. Accessing the Contact section of the phone does not require cell service. We need a detailed description of the problem to help the OP.
    I can tell you this much.

1) When the SIM is in the phone, you can not access the Contact section of the phone. There's no way to add, edit or delete any contacts.

2) When I remove the SIM, the Contact section then works perfectly. But this does you little good because without the SIM, you can't make calls.

This test confirms that it is the SIM that is the problem, not the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I did some searching, and I was like wow. Lots of people have this loading issue with a 5G SIM.
    Thanks for your research! Here's a relevant fact. Until I told them, RedPocket had no knowledge of this problem.

I believe them telling me their SIM would work in my phone was an honest mistake, not a scam. It morphed in to a scam when they ignored all the documentation I sent them, and instead just chanted "our SIM works" over and over.

The irony here is that throughout this episode RedPocket was unable to provide me with useful support, because they didn't know about this issue. Instead, I had to provide them with education and support. And, as you know, I am cell phone Clueless Guy. I have no evidence at this point that they've learned anything from the education I tried to provide them. They just pretty much ignored it all.

Feedback Score
    EDITED: I read some of the Q&As and sounds like people who had problems were trying to save the contacts to the SIM card and loading from the SIM card. Can't the contact list on that phone be stored to its internal memory?
    You can't do ANYTHING with the Contacts feature of the Alactel Smartflip while a 5G SIM is installed. You can't create a list of contacts, thus you can't store such a list anywhere.

When you try to reach the Contact section, it just says "Loading...." for as long as you leave the phone on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Do you know for a fact that the Smartflips from RedPocket don't work with 5G SIMs?
    I don't know that. I repeatedly asked them to test their SIM on the Smartflips in their store, and they never replied to that request.

If they had done the test, and confirmed their SIM would work in their Smartflips, I probably would have purchased one of their Smartflips, and been happy with RedPocket, perhaps for years.

But, now I've seen what kind of company they really are, so I'm gone. I don't really trust anything they say at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Will the Alcatel MyFlip 2 suffer from the same problem? If it won't, then there's a very low-cost solution on Tracfone. I remember OP had said his usage is minimal so Tracfone should work.

With Tracfone's referral rewards program and HSN's new customer coupon, you can basically get 2 years worth of service plus the flip phone for $30+tax. OP, let me know if you need detailed steps to achieve this.
    Thanks for this. I'm now ready to learn more about this offer. The following might help....

I'm doing pre-pay only. I'm not willing to give ANY cellphone company my credit card for recurring charges. If that's available on Tracphone, happy to hear about it.

Feedback Score
    Clueless Guy, you did a really good job investigating this issue. I had never heard of it before.

You will likely have to pay a little more to get a decent service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    People have a hard time finding a 4G AT&T SIMs since the stores have 5G AT&T SIMs.
    Yes, that's it. I'm thinking for my next phone I may just avoid AT&T anything, and give one of the other networks a try.

It appears that AT&T is still pushing these locked discounted 4G phones out in to the world so as to build their network, but they can't provide the 4G SIM this phone requires.

Imho, the entire cellphone industry is still in a primitive state, and they haven't yet learned the value of the Keep It Simple Stupid principle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Clueless Guy, you did a really good job investigating this issue. I had never heard of it before.

You will likely have to pay a little more to get a decent service.
    Thanks Lisme. Yea, I agree, gonna have to pay more.

If we counted up all the hours I've had to invest in this phone and RedPocket, and calculated that at minimum wage, this phone has cost me something like $800. :-)
    Last edited by Clueless Guy; 08-06-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    EDITED: I read some of the Q&As and sounds like people who had problems were trying to save the contacts to the SIM card and loading from the SIM card. Can't the contact list on that phone be stored to its internal memory?
    What most people don't realize is that the SIM card measures memory by the Kilobyte and not a Megabyte or Gigabyte. The SIM doesn't have enough memory to store phone numbers anymore. Phone numbers are either stored in the phone memory or an SD card.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    What most people don't realize is that the SIM card measures memory by the Kilobyte and not a Megabyte or Gigabyte. The SIM doesn't have enough memory to store phone numbers anymore. Phone numbers are either stored in the phone memory or an SD card.
    In this particular case, the question of where to store phone numbers is moot, because you can't get in to the Contacts section at all.

That is, unless you remove the 5G SIM, in which case the Contact section becomes available. Once the SIM is removed you can add and edit contacts, but it does you no good, because once you put the SIM back in the Contact section is again inaccessible.

The solution seems to be to get the 4G SIM this phone was designed for. RedPocket doesn't have any of these, and isn't interested in finding any either. If I could find one I'm not sure how I would connect it to RedPocket.

I'm probably going to have to toss this phone, but it was only $22, so it's not that bad a hit. Hopefully Redpocket will provide the $60 refund I've requested, given that their SIM card does not work as they promised it would. Once I have the refund, then I'll return to square one, and begin shopping for a new phone and another provider. Again!

By the time I finally have a working cell phone, and a competent provider, I'll be a cell phone expert. At that point I'll probably launch my own cell phone company so that I can have a reliable phone to use once or twice a month at most. :-)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    I'm doing pre-pay only. I'm not willing to give ANY cellphone company my credit card for recurring charges. If that's available on Tracphone, happy to hear about it.
    You can go into Walmart and buy one of these phones with cash:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...9?athbdg=L1200
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...hone/721170509

Then you can buy whichever plan fits your needs listed at https://www.walmart.com/search?q=tra...sort=price_low that includes "days" with cash, and continue buying them as needed with cash.

That's not the best deal, but it's the best way to buy a phone and service without using a credit card.

Also, this assumes the Vzw network works in your area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You can go into Walmart and buy one of these phones with cash:
    Thanks for educating me about this option.

Let's see if I understand correctly. If I buy this phone for $20 I get the phone, and 6.8 hours of talk. When those hours run out the phone goes dead and I have to buy more time via some plan. That's a fair deal, if the phone is included.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...9?athbdg=L1200

I looked at the plans, and like you said, not such a super deal.

Here's what I'm used to, and hoping to find again. I gave H20 $10 every 90 days, and always had credits left at the end, which rolled over to the next period. I would have stuck with them, but their support collapsed under the weight of the end of 3G.

I did use a credit card with H20, but I used one of those "one use only" credit card numbers, so H20 had no way to add on extra surprise charges. I don't know that they would have tried to do so, but if they had, they wouldn't have been able to.

I'm going to go back to the last thread you guys helped me with, and review all the suggestions again. It's back to square one for me, but thanks to you guys I'm much more confident about starting over now.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    Let's see if I understand correctly. If I buy this phone for $20 I get the phone, and 6.8 hours of talk. When those hours run out the phone goes dead and I have to buy more time via some plan.
    That phone does NOT come with any service. The 6.8 hrs of talk refers to how long the battery lasts on a full charge.

Feedback Score
    That phone does NOT come with any service. The 6.8 hrs of talk refers to how long the battery lasts on a full charge.
    Ah! Thanks for the correction.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    my guess is that the 5g sims did something with the contacts portion of the SIM. The portion that most phones for years don't use to store contacts (very limited options), but can import from. I suspect that the phone's contacts app is probably checking the SIM to see if there is any data there, and not handling something.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast