Thread: Is the 100GB plan truly unlimited?

Feedback Score

Is the 100GB plan truly unlimited?

Notice the language "unlimited high-speed data." I understand that the data may be deprioritized after a certain allotment, but does this mean that it continues to be full speed after 100GB or does it throttle to 2G/3G speeds after 100GB? Name:  Screenshot_20220806-221920.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  50.8 KB

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Is the 100GB plan truly unlimited?

That second bullet point with the 1 at the end, look at the bottom of that same page from your screenshot, and see what it says in regards to the 1. I’m guessing they’re going to throttle you to 128kbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    That second bullet point with the 1 at the end, look at the bottom of that same page from your screenshot, and see what it says in regards to the 1. I’m guessing they’re going to throttle you to 128kbps.
    This is what it says. I can take this at face value and that it's still deprioritized and high-speed, but I really don't want to go to all the trouble of ordering it and then finding out that TMobile considers 3G speeds as "high-speed" after hitting 100GB.Name:  Screenshot_20220806-233424.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  29.2 KB

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can't believe that they're going to let you use 1tb of data on that plan. Usually on those Hotspot plans they throttle the data. I'd chat with T-mobile support on Twitter to see if you can get a more clear answer. Or can you find more details online?

Sent from my SM-G998U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    That language is clearly stating that you’ll be deprioritized after 100GB, but not hard throttled. Depending where and when you’re using it, you might never notice the difference or you might always get significantly lower speed for the rest of the billing cycle.

They also don’t intend it to be a replacement for home internet, so there might be some issue if you use 1TB every month and in the same place. I won’t get on a soapbox about how any limited commodity shouldn’t ever be claimed to be unlimited, and the reality is that the bandwidth in my home area sees very limited use in the evenings/night time, so it doesn’t really harm anyone else if some people use it up.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    just as a note, I'm on the older TMobile One package, which says 50GB, and I've gone past 200GB without issues. in fact I received my typical monthly throttling notice yesterday, yet still pass 1600Mbps.

"You've used 50 GB of data this month. If you exceed 50 GB before your T-Mobile cycle resets on 09/02/2022, you still get unlimited data but may notice reduced speeds in areas with network congestion. Get more info and usage tips at t-mo.co/datausage11"
    Name:  Screenshot_20220807-094749_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  19.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the clarity. I'm not planning to abuse it, but I just wanted to know exactly what I'm buying with feedback from existing customers. Thank you for the feedback.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    As far as I understand it, the 100GB plan is just that: A 100GB plan.

Yes, data is “unlimited” but it is slowed to 128kbps like all other mobile internet plans after you reach the limit. You are free to use as much data as you’d like after 100GB, but it’s low speed data slowed down to a crawl.

Also, like most T-Mobile plans, you are *deprioritized* after 50GB, so if the cell site is congested you might see lower speeds than someone else, but you’re not hard throttled until you reach the plan’s data limit, whatever that may be and in this case 100GB. I don’t think you have much to lose by trying, but I wouldn’t go for that plan expecting to receive more than 100GB of high speed data.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    just as a note, I'm on the older TMobile One package, which says 50GB, and I've gone past 200GB without issues. in fact I received my typical monthly throttling notice yesterday, yet still pass 1600Mbps.

Name:  Screenshot_20220807-094749_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  19.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    That is not a throttling notice.

That is a deprioritization notice. You have an unlimited cell phone plan, not a mobile internet plan where you have a data limit. This just means that if you happen to hit a congested cell site (which that one obviously isn’t), you will have a lower priority than users who have not hit the 50GB mark. This is true for most plans.

If this was a throttling notice, it would say “You have used 100% of your monthly data. Your data speed will now be limited to 128kbps until [date your plan starts over].”

It’s easy to conflate the two, but I wouldn’t want to give anyone false hope of receiving more data than they’re paying for on a Mobile Internet line.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You may be correct on this. What is the name of the 'plan' that the OP has selected ? If its a 'hotspot' / 'mobile internet' plan, then you may be correct.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I've actually messaged them about this.. Right now they know the Nokia trashcan is in my RV, but having a more portable option would be nice (and I know a few people rurally who get ~150-200Mbps from T-Mobile but cannot buy TMHI, only 1.5Mbps DSL)

If this is just depr past 100GB, this may work for them as well in just an unlocked Nighthawk or Orbi.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified