Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on Cricket!

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I’m guessing since you haven’t mentioned T-Mobile that it doesn’t work in your area? If that is an option, US Mobile has several options that are less than $30/month. I have never used US Mibilembefore but in my research it’s a decent company.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is fine, but expensive if you're a low usage user. I mainly only use it for roaming in Canada and Mexico. Customer service is average, but they do answer the phone in like 5-15 minutes. Unlike some of the smaller AT&T MVNOs, who are getting crushed because of the VoLTE switchover and staffing issues.

H2O has good prices and I've used them before, but recently, customer service seem to be non-responsive, 1+ hour of wait times. Some talk of them going under.

Saw this article from prepaidcompare.net and they have lowered their prices.

https://bestmvno.com/h2o-wireless/h2...ted-talk-text/

*edit* charlesfinley mentioned the yearly plans above.

You can try them out with a $1 SIM, available at Target or online/Amazon and the $10 90-day PayGo plan to see if you can get reception and see how long the CSR wait time is.

Basically, it's up to you to decide if okay customer service is worth the $20+ per month versus non-existent support and save a bit of money.

You can also try Consumer Cellular who target senior citizens, which used to have really good US based support agents, but might have gone overseas. They offer AT&T and T-mobile.

https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/choose/plan

$55 Month
    Plan Details: 3 lines, 1GB OF DATA Plus, unlimited talk and text. (plus extra tax/fees).

FreeUP Mobile
    Monthly, 1GB 4G LTE
    $15/month + applicable taxes & fees.

https://www.freeupmobile.com/shop/pl...P-UNLIMITED-15

Feedback Score
    You mentioned that you live in NE PA. I personally went to the Poconos a few times and Cricket worked fine whereas my friend's verizon and t-mobile choked. Not sure if Verizon and t-mobile has improved the situation. So I would stick with Cricket or another AT&T nvmo.

Cricket's family plan is kind of stupid. When you get to 4 phones, the unlimited plan at $100 is actually cheaper than the 10gb or the 5gb plan. So they don't have good deals for low data users. I've been on the 5/100 grandfathered plan for number of years and I am planning to switch to Mint Mobile's family plan because my family don't use much data. Maybe I will stay in cricket if Cricket would bring back the 5/100 plan or even put their 5gb on the family plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pug_ster View Post
    You mentioned that you live in NE PA. I personally went to the Poconos a few times and Cricket worked fine whereas my friend's verizon and t-mobile choked. Not sure if Verizon and t-mobile has improved the situation. So I would stick with Cricket or another AT&T nvmo.

Cricket's family plan is kind of stupid. When you get to 4 phones, the unlimited plan at $100 is actually cheaper than the 10gb or the 5gb plan. So they don't have good deals for low data users. I've been on the 5/100 grandfathered plan for number of years and I am planning to switch to Mint Mobile's family plan because my family don't use much data. Maybe I will stay in cricket if Cricket would bring back the 5/100 plan or even put their 5gb on the family plan.
    Thank you and to everyone else who has been *so* helpful. I really really appreciate the generosity with information!

Yes, T-mobile is just as bad as Verizon in our situation - little to no service.

I am truly hesitating at spending so much monthly for Cricket, but as I discovered when I did a cost analysis a while back, we were spending about $500 in a six-month period on TF, thanks to less-than frugal family members.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is truly a great value for the price with the premium data that you get. I think for people that use a lot of data Cricket is your best choice.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Try it for a month and you'll know more than you'll ever learn here. It's what,$25 or$30, and you can probably get a free phone in the deal.

Feedback Score
    I usually switch cellular phone companies every few years & port my number over if I can get a better deal.
    I have had cricket for a couple of years now.
    I recently got a mysterious text message from cricket. Being concerned that someone was trying to sim-jack my phone, called cricket & they said that the message was a normal marketing message.
    However, they did tell me that if I upgraded my mother in law’s phone to unlimited, the same as my wife & my phone, I could save $35 a month.
    Thank you cricket, I’m laughing all the way to the bank.
    Cricket support seems off-shore, but they are good & very understandable.

Feedback Score
    Try it then report your finding

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Try it for a month and you'll know more than you'll ever learn here. It's what,$25 or$30, and you can probably get a free phone in the deal.
    I thought Cricket's free phones stay locked to Cricket for 6 months and need plan payments for 6 months. Has that changed?

Thanks!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punishedsnake View Post
    Try it then report your finding
    How would I do this?
    Is there a cheap/throwaway phone deal that would work to test Cricket out?

I would like to take advantage of the 4 lines/$100 a month deal
    And we would all like to keep our numbers.
    So I hesitate to make such a huge move on 4 lines without trying it first, as you suggest.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    How would I do this?
    Is there a cheap/throwaway phone deal that would work to test Cricket out?

I would like to take advantage of the 4 lines/$100 a month deal
    And we would all like to keep our numbers.
    So I hesitate to make such a huge move on 4 lines without trying it first, as you suggest.
    You could always pick up a cheap phone-in-a-box kit from Walmart, Target, etc. for Cricket (phone, SIM, etc.) and set it up on a single line (the $30 plan would work for testing) and then if it works, you can add your 4 lines to the account and then cancel the original number (then you'd just have a cheap, Cricket-locked phone as a spare). The 4/$100 (or 5/$125) isn't necessarily a limited time or strict process in that you can switch all lines to it at any time and add/remove as you please. Cricket doesn't have a "primary" number for the account, so when you cancel that first test line, everything else will stick around as-is.

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Or you can buy a used phone from Swappa or any other reseller.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Or you can buy a used phone from Swappa or any other reseller.
    Yep, some BYOD SIM kits don't get properly scanned at stores and can't be used (Best Buy seemed to be one the more egregious one for this), but a used phone (that is on the Cricket whitelist, of course) with a new, unused SIM could also be a good alternative. Since you aren't porting for the test purposes, ordering a SIM online would be fine.

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    That is a risk. I had to replace an old SIM that was borked because of the 3G shutdown and got the new one from Walmart and it activated no problem. I have seen issues with BestBuy SIM cards in the past.

Feedback Score
    I decided to bite the bullet. It can't get any worse than it is.

I WFH and we lost power at our house two days ago in a storm - no internet, no landline.
    And I could not get a cell signal to call work to notify them I was offline.

I have also reached my breaking point with no service for data or voice or text in the business corridors that I frequent several times a week.

I went ahead and transferred the 2 lines I could, as 2 are still locked to TF.
    First I had to chat with TF to find out how long the 2 lines are still locked. THEY WILL NOT TELL ME. "Confidential" information, the rep tells me.
    It was mind-boggling.

Anyway, I chatted with Cricket rep online and it was night and day. Human interaction with someone not reading from a script. Still overseas, I gather, but empowered to *talk* to me.

Transfer process has begun on both lines and new sims are on the way.
    Crossing my fingers.
    Like I said, it cannot get any worse than it already is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast