Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simple Mobile iPhone TF-Verizon SIM

Feedback Score

Simple Mobile iPhone TF-Verizon SIM

I have a Simple Mobile iPhone SE. It was never activated on Simple Mobile. I have been using annual BYOP TF-ATT SIM Plan from eBay. It has worked fine. The current plan is expiring soon. I logged into the online TF account and it roped me into upgrading to TF-Verizon SIM. It is being shipped. On hindsight I am not sure if I should have gone for the Verizon SIM. Verizon checks phone IMEI. It may complain about IMEI belonging to Simple Mobile or not being whitelisted. Will it be a problem? It could make the phone inoperable and the account balance could be lost.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrpt View Post
    On hindsight I am not sure if I should have gone for the Verizon SIM. Verizon checks phone IMEI. It may complain about IMEI belonging to Simple Mobile or not being whitelisted. Will it be a problem? It could make the phone inoperable and the account balance could be lost.
    TF now allows phones branded by one TF sub-brand to be used with another sub-brand. Some people would ask the rep to re-brand the phone to TF (which might help getting it unlocked later), some didn't. Just tell the rep "I have a Simple Mobile iPhone SE and a TF/Verizon SIM. I'd like to activate it with a transfer from my current BYOP TF/AT&T SIM".

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Can I also do it online myself? The instructions said to text 611611 with MIGRATE or something like that. I am not sure if that is a good way.

I plan to buy BYOP TF-Verizon SIM annual Plan from eBay. How will I add that? Earlier, I used to activate the TF-ATT SIM online and mention my phone number to keep. It would transfer the balance. I am not sure it would work with Verizon/IMEI. I prefer to do it myself online.

I also see just TracFone plans on eBay, no SIM. E.g. "TracFone $19.99 Basic Phone Plan, 60 Minutes, 90 Days [Email Delivery]" (forum doesn't let me post a link). Is that a better way compared to getting a BYOP SIM with plan?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1. Can I also do it online myself? The instructions said to text 611611 with MIGRATE or something like that. I am not sure if that is a good way.

2. I plan to buy BYOP TF-Verizon SIM annual Plan from eBay. How will I add that? Earlier, I used to activate the TF-ATT SIM online and mention my phone number to keep. It would transfer the balance. I am not sure it would work with Verizon/IMEI. I prefer to do it myself online.

3. I also see just TracFone plans on eBay, no SIM. E.g. "TracFone $19.99 Basic Phone Plan, 60 Minutes, 90 Days [Email Delivery]" (forum doesn't let me post a link). Is that a better way compared to getting a BYOP SIM with plan?
    1. You will need a rep's assistance to pair the new TF/Verion SIM to the phone. The phone is currently paired to its original Simple Mobile SIM which uses T-mobile.

2. It's easy to use the Ebay preloaded 1-yr SIM with AT&T and T-mo. But with TF/Verion, TF pairs the phone's IMEI with the active SIM, so it's difficult to use a preload Ebay sim with a phone branded by a TF sub-brand.

3. The preload Ebay SIM comes with 1-yr of service and 1200/1200/1.2GB (or 3GB). The $19.99 plan only comes with 90 days of service and 60/60/60.

Feedback Score
    It looks like TF-ATT is more flexible than TF-Verizon. I would like to continue with TF-ATT. Is it ok if I disregard the shipped free TF-Verizon migration SIM?

I am thinking of number 3 (eBay plan) option simply because of ease. No need to change SIM, just add the PIN, and it reaches quicker (email rather than shipping). It would work equally well with ATT, Verizon. Right?

I really appreciate your help. It is difficult to find these answers. My experience with TF Chat has not been good.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You can disregard the free TF/Verizon SIM, but Verizon (now owns TF) has been trying very hard to force people in areas with Verizon coverage to switch to TF/Verizon. There were posts from people who simply got their TF/AT&T service shut off.

The $19.99 plan can be applied to a phone using any carrier on TF. Technically, it's not for a smartphone and TF web site will say "Incompatible Plan" if you try to buy one on TF web site for a smartphone. But you can still buy it on Ebay or other places and apply it to a smartphone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    TF now allows phones branded by one TF sub-brand to be used with another sub-brand. Some people would ask the rep to re-brand the phone to TF (which might help getting it unlocked later), some didn't. Just tell the rep "I have a Simple Mobile iPhone SE and a TF/Verizon SIM. I'd like to activate it with a transfer from my current BYOP TF/AT&T SIM".
    Is it something that Chat CS can handle or should I call Corporate? It is so frustrating to deal with Chat CS.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sooner or later Verizon will discontinue AT&T and T-Mobile service. If you want to stay with AT&T you will have to move to another provider at that time. There is the question of what Verizon will do about any remaining airtime. The final cuttoff may be over a year off ( 2 maybe three years from 11/23/21). They are already trying to change you to Verizon service, and you accepted, so they may not let up since they have you in their sites. Everyone not using a Verizon SIM is agonizing over this problem.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Is it something that Chat CS can handle or should I call Corporate? It is so frustrating to deal with Chat CS.
    Most Chat reps can handle those tasks. You can call Corporate if you prefer. I prefer Chat over calling so I don't have to put up with poor connections, crowing roosters, barking dogs, and the rep's heavy accent.

Feedback Score
    Chat says it needs to be done thru call

Feedback Score
    It looks like TF-ATT is more flexible than TF-Verizon. I would like to continue with TF-ATT. Is it ok if I disregard the shipped free TF-Verizon migration SIM?
    It is risky to just disregard the SIM they send. I ordered a Verizon SIM for my mother who had been using AT&T. Then we didn't have time for me to help her switch. She started getting text messages that they would automatically switch her -- I think it was about 2 weeks from ordering the SIM. I then tried twice to switch to the new SIM and two different agents couldn't do it, so I figure there was no way the automatic migration would happen. About three days after the deadline Tracfone gave her, the service switched to the new SIM. Texts and data worked, but it took several days and many hours on calls to get phone service to work. The whole thing was an ordeal.

Feedback Score
    I had to call to get switched to TF-Verizon. It got switched but the balance did not carry over. I dread following up on that now. When I was on Chat, I requested the transcript to be emailed. She said no problem, but I never got any email.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I had to call to get switched to TF-Verizon. It got switched but the balance did not carry over. I dread following up on that now. When I was on Chat, I requested the transcript to be emailed. She said no problem, but I never got any email.
    Is the phone number from the TF/AT&T SIM now on the TF/Verizon SIM? If yes, the balance should follow in a few hours. It's a cross-carrier transfer, so the balance info (kept on TF system and the carrier's system) has to be pushed from TF system to Verizon system.

I don't trust the emailing of the Chat transcript. I always copied it from the Chat box and paste it into a file on my computer.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it was TF/AT&T to TF/Verizon SIM. I transferred last night. Yesterday it was showing 0 balance. Today it shows 500/500/500 and about 1 month expiration. But the previous balance I had did not get added up. Should I simply wait a few hours? That is a good idea to manually copy/paste from chat window.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it was TF/AT&T to TF/Verizon SIM. I transferred last night. Yesterday it was showing 0 balance. Today it shows 500/500/500 and about 1 month expiration. But the previous balance I had did not get added up. Should I simply wait a few hours?
    1. 500/500/500 and 1 month of service sounds like a $15 smartphone card. Did you use any time card to activate the TF/Verizon SIM?
    2. Did you use a TF/Verizon SIM from a BYOP SIM Kit that you bought, or you used the free SIM that TF sent to you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast