Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Combine Balance Nightmare

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Combine Balance Nightmare

My first chat request was very basic and went like this, (assuming all of the phone IMEI & SIM info were available to them if they had my phone numbers, and both phones are in my account) :

Exact quote with numbers removed:

My phone **** # will expire in December 2022. Can I have its balance added to my phone 0000? I want to keep the number ending in ****)

The target phone with the 0000 number never received the balance or number from the donor **** phone. She asked for the IMEI of the phones & I gave them to her. I repeated that I wanted to keep the donor **** number.

She replied " I understand your concern. Please give me the IMEI of the phone you want to keep."

I said I just sent you a message with the information you requested on both phones.

She asked for it again only she got the words mixed up and it was starting to become very confusing.

I repeated the request but I wasn't sure if she really was understanding me.

I waited for her to reply with any information about what was going on.

After a while she said I haven't heard from you and so I am going to have to end this chat.

I said I was waiting for you to talk to me. She said she was sorry.

I said I'm going to end this chat and try and start over again with someone new.

I checked the balance and tested both phones before trying another chat. The balance on the donor **** phone was the same as it was before and the number was still working.

The target 0000 phone no longer could make calls or send or receive messages. It's still showing it's original telephone number.

Apparently the CSR deactivated that phone.

I received a text message on the donor **** phone saying welcome back to TracFone and giving me its phone number as if I just activated it. It was as if she did it in reverse but the balance on the donor phone is the same as it was before and nothing was added to it.

I began another chat with a different CSR to at least try to regain the balance and number on the target phone if nothing better.

Quote with numbers removed :

My name is xxxx. I started a chat with a CSR in an attempt to transfer my balance from an active TracFone with phone # xxx-***-**** to an active TracFone with phone number #xxx-***-0000 I wanted to keep the **** number. The IMEI of the **** phone is.... & .... and the IMEI of the 0000 phone is... %... However, the transfer didn't occur. The phone with the **** number is currently still active and the phone with the 0000 number is now deactivated and I can't place calls or send messages.

My phone **** # will expire in December 2022. Can I have its balance added to my phone 0000? I want to keep the number ending in ****.

The new CSR said that the request made no sense. She said that the donor phone would be deactivated and the number lost.

I said that I have performed this operation before and had no problems when I told them what number I wanted to keep.

I decided I might end of losing the donor number & balance too so I decided to ask to speak to a supervisor. She said that I could call the TF help desk and ask for a supervisor.

At this point I don't think I'll be able to regain the telephone number or the service for the deactivated phone. The reason why is because they will doubt what I tell them about what happened. But I wanted to report what I went through.

I've had problems with transfers before, but they usually go okay and the balances end up combining and I get to keep the number that I want. So this was just horrific. It's one reason why I like to buy phones on TracFones eBay store with a years service and activate with transfer, it's usually much easier than a combine operation.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just checked the balance on the deactivated target phone and something did change.

The expiration date was extended from Mar 08, 2023 to July 18, 2023. But the airtime, SMS & data balance is the same as before I attempted to transfer.

When I try to call out, I get a message saying that my service is inactive.

I can't send or receive texts on the target phone, although the donor phone is still working.

The balance check on my donor phone shows the same balance as before the attempt to transfer.

However, the donor phone now says my last day of service is 11/27/2023.

Before the attempt to transfer/combine, the service end date on the donor phone was Dec 20, 2022.

It really is a mess. I have no idea how the service end dates have been changed. Although it appears that the service end date on the donor phone is in my favor, who knows what will happen next.

The donor phone has a telephone number I've had since 2016 and I want to keep it. But I wanted to transfer it and its service to a newer phone because the older phone it's on now has some occasional problems because it's starting to get old.

At this point I think the only way I can put the number on a newer phone is to do an activation with transfer rather than to attempt to combine its balance with my remaining active TracFone. I had three of them before TracFone deactivated the one today.

After the screw up today I would be afraid to attempt to combine ever again.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Donor phone balance before & after attempting transfer, showing before & after service end dates.

The time on the balance messages is crazy. My time here in California as I write this is 10:52am. Name:  DonorPhoneBalanceB4transferAttempt.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  47.5 KBName:  DonorPhoneBalAfterTransferAttempt.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  42.3 KB

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's a screenshot of the balance end date on the target phone (Moto G Play) before &after the transfer attempt.

Of course, what good does an extended balance do if the phone won't make or receive calls or messages.

Name:  TargetPhoneB4%26afterBal.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  42.9 KB

Sent from my moto g play (XT2093DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Exact quote with numbers removed:

My phone **** # will expire in December 2022. Can I have its balance added to my phone 0000? I want to keep the number ending in ****)

The target phone with the 0000 number never received the balance or number from the donor **** phone. She asked for the IMEI of the phones & I gave them to her. I repeated that I wanted to keep the donor **** number.
    I didn't have time to read all of your posts, but you cannot keep the donor phone number. Once its balances are added to the target phone, the donor phone will be deactivated and its number deactivated.

Feedback Score
    I have successfully combined balance many times and the donor phone always got deactivated. I did take extra steps to accomplish what you tried to do. A is a newer, better phone but B has the number I want to keep. (I didn't know how to do it so I asked here. hpham replied with steps.) I first put both lines in the same account.
    "I'd like to have the remaining buckets/days of phone number A added to phone number B. I'd like to keep phone number B."
    I only provided the phone # for both phones (not IMEIs). The agent sent a verification code to the donor phone. (I think some agents sent codes to both.) Phone B got all the buckets and A deactivated. After a day or two, I started another chat to move everything to A.
    "May I transfer my active service/units to a currently inactive Tracfone-branded phone with the original Verizon SIM?"
    I then provided the IMEI (and SIM ID if asked) of phone A. A 6-digit code was sent to phone B for verification. Once done, I turned off both phones and turned on phone A. Sometimes it takes longer for the balance to move over, but other times, only a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    p.s. I also provided the balance each time and asked the agent to confirm.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8SD View Post
    The agent sent a verification code to the donor phone. (I think some agents sent codes to both.)
    Typically, the code is sent only to the donor phone, which will have its balances depleted then get deactivated, to prevent someone's service from being stolen without them knowing about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Typically, the code is sent only to the donor phone, which will have its balances depleted then get deactivated, to prevent someone's service from being stolen without them knowing about it.
    Yep, I thought it was strange (and afraid the agent might mess it up), but she said she also needed to send a code to the other phone. I have done this a few times now to replace the older phones with # I'd like to keep.

Feedback Score
    I successfully did four separate combines in the past month or so. I had quite a collection of active phones going, but now I have trimmed it down to four active lines.

I told the agent what number I wanted to keep, and then the donor number. I didn't bother saying what I knew the balances were, I just told the agent what the final balance on the Keep phone should be.

After I did the combines, I moved the services to the phones that I ultimately wanted to keep active.

They all went quick and smooth. I hope I won't have to do a combine again for a while.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who chipped in. I've done a combine before where I told them which number I wanted to keep and it was the number from the donor phone and they did accomplish it.

I think I will not do any more combines with transfer because of how awful this one was. I will only activate with transfer from an active phone.

Unfortunately I was wanting to decrease the number of tracfones I had from three to two and then finally to one.

Thankfully I didn't lose my balance on the donor phone because it has so many minutes and texts.

After I got done posting here, I logged into my tracfone account online. The target phone showed as being deactivated under transactions.

The donor phone showed as being deactivated and then reactivated under transactions.

I wondered what would happen if I tried to reactivate the deactivated target phone. I chose the activate button and it said to switch the phone off and back on again and it should work. It didn't tell me to add any air time which was what I was expecting.

When I rebooted the phone, I received a welcome back text message from TracFone telling what my phone number was and the expiration date is the new extended 18th of July 2023 service end date. I was able to place a call and send a text message so it's working again.

Although I didn't get what I was wanting, at least I didn't lose my balance on either phone.

I think what happened is that the CSR tried to transfer the balance from the donor phone to itself and that's why it extended the service end date for a year. But, it didn't double the airtime balance.

The service extension for the Target phone is less clear how that happened.

Both phones were bought on TracFone eBay store with a Year's service. I think I may have been able to reactivate the deactivated phone without being told to add air time because of the service that was still showing tied to the SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking that maybe I should take one of my TracFones that was unlocked and deactivated and just reactivate that with a transfer from the donor phone. That way I can swap the account to a newer phone (Moto G7 Optimo Maxx).

Since it was unlocked, will TF expect me to get a new SIM for it if I want to reactivate it?

I know in the past that Verizon SIMs could be reactivated without putting in a new one but maybe that's changed now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I was also wondering, that if I let the target phone expire on the expiration date of July 2023, if I try to reactivate it with a transfer from the donor phone, will the balance combine with the balance of the donor phone on reactivation?

The reason I ask is because in the past, a deactivated phone could be reactivated and it would save the minutes.

My only concern would be that I would lose the donor phone number that I want to keep and on reactivation I would end up being stuck with the phone number of the deactivated phone.

Feedback Score
    Wheelie, just to get my head straight, with the exception of the extended dates, are both phones back to where you started including phone numbers on the phones?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Wheelie, just to get my head straight, with the exception of the extended dates, are both phones back to where you started including phone numbers on the phones?
    Yes, both phones have their respective numbers and balances. Only the service end dates have changed, extended out.

Of course who knows what will happen when I boot the phones tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast