Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any decent smaller budget phones out there for At&t Prepaid or their MVNOs?

Feedback Score

Any decent smaller budget phones out there for At&t Prepaid or their MVNOs?

I always keep an At&t spare line going and recently had my Galaxy A01 stop working because of the shutdown. Picked up an At&t Prepaid Moto One 5G Ace on clearance at Target for $60.00 but it's a monster that's bigger than my main phone which is a S9+. Looks like both Motorola and Sammy don't make any more budget phones under 6.5 inches. Any suggestions for a smaller cheap budget phone that might work for me? I just use this spare for a little T&T.
    Last edited by Fishx65; 08-10-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What is the model of the A01?

I do see the A01 listed on AT&T's whitelist. If you want to see it for yourself, on this page: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/ is the whitelist list: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    What is the model of the A01?

I do see the A01 listed on AT&T's whitelist. If you want to see it for yourself, on this page: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/ is the whitelist list: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf
    Thanks. My A01 is an unlocked Spectrum model SM-A015U. The ones on the whitelist end with the number 1. I might just look for an At&t Prepaid A01 cuz I like the size.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You could reflash the phone with the U1 firmware then.

I know Samsung phone with the wrong firmware gets misread with some carriers too.

I know there is not that many phones under 6.5 inch screens any more.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, have you seen the At&t Calypso or Calypso 2 on their internet site? Those phones are under 6 inches tall, both phones @ $44.49, available for prepaid. Alcatel Axel is 6.17 inches tall @ $51.99. Clearly, there are options out there.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    OP, have you seen the At&t Calypso or Calypso 2 on their internet site? Those phones are under 6 inches tall, both phones @ $44.49, available for prepaid. Alcatel Axel is 6.17 inches tall @ $51.99. Clearly, there are options out there.
    Yes, I've been looking at both of them. I've also been checking the 2nd hand market for a good deal on a Pixel 4A but that's probably overkill for my basic uses.

Carrier(s)
    taking Mobi out for a test drive
    Feedback Score
    Are you committed to Android? The old iPhone SE first generation is a great old phone and measures 4.87 inches high by 2.31 inches wide. You can find them on Swappa and elsewhere for around $50. I used one for years and the only reason I'm not still using it is because my son broke the screen on his SE second generation and didn't want to bother getting it fixed. So I paid $125 for a new screen and I'm using that one.
    If you think the pandemic is bad now, just wait. Doctors tell us the next variant plays the accordion.

Feedback Score
    Are you okay with waiting 61 days to get an unlocked phone that can be used on AT&T?

If yes, there are some inexpensive options on Tracfone that you can buy, and keep active for 61 days quite inexpensively. Most of the options will get you an unlocked phone for around $60-70 (or ~$140 for the iPhone SE 2 refurb).

Under Tracfone's unlocking policy, phones get unlocked on the 61st day, so you can then use the phone on AT&T. (For extra fun, Tracfone has a rewards program that will give you some fun choices to make on the 61st day when your referral points mature!)
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Are you okay with waiting 61 days to get an unlocked phone that can be used on AT&T?

If yes, there are some inexpensive options on Tracfone that you can buy, and keep active for 61 days quite inexpensively. Most of the options will get you an unlocked phone for around $60-70 (or ~$140 for the iPhone SE 2 refurb).

Under Tracfone's unlocking policy, phones get unlocked on the 61st day, so you can then use the phone on AT&T. (For extra fun, Tracfone has a rewards program that will give you some fun choices to make on the 61st day when your referral points mature!)
    Not all the TracFone models are on the AT&T whitelist, so that needs to be considered. For example, the TracFone Motorola G Stylus I am using (on boom red after the 60 day unlocking) is NOT on the list.

Sent from my moto g stylus (XT2115DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnypackerfan View Post
    Not all the TracFone models are on the AT&T whitelist, so that needs to be considered. For example, the TracFone Motorola G Stylus I am using (on boom red after the 60 day unlocking) is NOT on the list.

I saw that Stylus in the TracFone eBay store for about $104 but the one on the Whitelist is XT2115-1 not XT2115DL. It's big, 6.8" but that's what attracted me to it.

Sent from my moto g play (XT2093DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes of course.
    Only a few of Tracfone's phones are on AT&T's whitelist *and* are small phones like OP wants. There *are* inexpensive choices available that fit the bill.
    But first we need to know if OP is okay with waiting 61 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I saw that Stylus in the TracFone eBay store for about $104 but the one on the Whitelist is XT2115-1 not XT2115DL. It's big, 6.8" but that's what attracted me to it.

Sent from my moto g play (XT2093DL) using HoFo mobile app
    I bought mine through HSN for 99.99.
    QVC had a similar deal recently.
    But they aren't good for AT&T.
    I wasn't sure I would like the size but I like it. But then I'm 6'7" with fairly large hands.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Yes of course.
    Only a few of Tracfone's phones are on AT&T's whitelist *and* are small phones like OP wants. There *are* inexpensive choices available that fit the bill.
    But first we need to know if OP is okay with waiting 61 days.
    I'll throw in a couple flip phones too if it's truly for talk/text only. Tracfone My Flip 2 and Flip 2, both 19.99, add 2x 9.99 30 day plans and then unlock it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I'll throw in a couple flip phones too if it's truly for talk/text only. Tracfone My Flip 2 and Flip 2, both 19.99, add 2x 9.99 30 day plans and then unlock it.
    Or buy https://www.pagepluscellular.com/pho...atel-myflip-2/ for $19.99, fund it with 1, $10 Pay As You Go plan, and unlock on day 60.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I bought mine through HSN for 99.99.
    QVC had a similar deal recently.
    But they aren't good for AT&T.
    I wasn't sure I would like the size but I like it. But then I'm 6'7" with fairly large hands.

I probably shouldn't have invaded the OP's thread about small phones with my comments about big ones, but seeing that you had a Stylus was why.

It's T-Mo & AT&T based service that works best for me, not so much VZ but it was ok where I lived before. That's why I check the whitelist on any phone I might want.

Even if it won't pass the AT&T list, I was thinking the Stylus might double as a tablet since I use my phones to write and need to read pdf's. I could run it on Red Pocket T-Mo after unlock.

Sounds like it's a good size for you.

I started reading reviews for it and some didn't sound so great, but I'll keep studying it. Just about everything now seems to have a large % of neg reviews so it's hit or miss.

I will exit the OP's thread now. Thanks for commenting.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast