Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any decent smaller budget phones out there for At&t Prepaid or their MVNOs?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You could reflash the phone with the U1 firmware then.

I know Samsung phone with the wrong firmware gets misread with some carriers too.

I know there is not that many phones under 6.5 inch screens any more.
    Reflashing might get the software installed. But it doesn't change the IMEI which is what ATT uses.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Are you okay with waiting 61 days to get an unlocked phone that can be used on AT&T?

If yes, there are some inexpensive options on Tracfone that you can buy, and keep active for 61 days quite inexpensively. Most of the options will get you an unlocked phone for around $60-70 (or ~$140 for the iPhone SE 2 refurb).

Under Tracfone's unlocking policy, phones get unlocked on the 61st day, so you can then use the phone on AT&T. (For extra fun, Tracfone has a rewards program that will give you some fun choices to make on the 61st day when your referral points mature!)
    Late last year I picked up a new Galaxy A51 from Tracfone and had it unlocked on the 61st day. For some reason I couldn't get it to work on my At&t Prepaid line so I ended up selling it for a very small profit. I'm just gonna ride out the Moto One 5G Ace for now until I find something else.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Late last year I picked up a new Galaxy A51 from Tracfone and had it unlocked on the 61st day. For some reason I couldn't get it to work on my At&t Prepaid line so I ended up selling it for a very small profit.
    I have several TF-unlocked A51. From Feb to June this year, I was using one with a FreeUP AT&T SIM. Although the TF A51 model is not on AT&T whitelist, initially it passed the FreeUp IMEI Checker. But around June there were warning messages on FreeUP that it's not compatible and now it fails the IMEI Checker. So I had to switch to another phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Reflashing might get the software installed. But it doesn't change the IMEI which is what ATT uses.
    I have seen some people find out that reflashing does correct things.

I know with Tracfone with a Samsung phone with the wrong firmware, the company sees the phone as an unknown phone that is unsupported. When flashed with the correct firmware, it sees the correct phone and is supported.

I have helped a few people over at reddit that has had this.

I do not know if it could be the same as a some Sprint and Google Fi phones. I have seen some of these phones have IMEI that does not pass other carrier's IMEI checkers.

Device(s)
    Pixel 5,Moto Z4,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Inseego M2000
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible, TextNow, Calyx,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    If just talk and text, H2O is a good choice for light usage on AT&T. $10/90 days/ nickel a minute or $60/annual/unlimited talk and text. They usually have a small flip phone or candy bar that's good for someone who doesn't want data.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    https://www.h2owireless.com/12-month-plan

Here's the link to the one year unlimited talk and text plus 1 GB data plan on H2O. It's about 8.33 a month or so depending on taxes or fees.

There's also a plan that gives 3 GB data for about $12 a month.

I'm on their $10 90 day paygo plan and that works out to $40 a year.

H20 Sim kits work in just about any AT&T whitelisted prepaid phone.

If it interests you, you should read some of the threads of the H2O forum to get an idea about how good it is because some people have problems with customer service.

My service is very low usage so usually I don't have to call customer service, I just put funds on the phone every 3 months with PayPal at Pinzoo. There's no need to register a payment method with H2O and that's one of the reasons I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    If just talk and text, H2O is a good choice for light usage on AT&T. $10/90 days/ nickel a minute or $60/annual/unlimited talk and text. They usually have a small flip phone or candy bar that's good for someone who doesn't want data.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Late last year I picked up a new Galaxy A51 from Tracfone and had it unlocked on the 61st day. For some reason I couldn't get it to work on my At&t Prepaid line so I ended up selling it for a very small profit. I'm just gonna ride out the Moto One 5G Ace for now until I find something else.
    Yes, the A51 isn't on the whitelist. There are only a few Tracfone phones that are on AT&T's whitelist.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2