Thread: (Rant) I Guess T-Mobile Doesn't Want New Customers

Feedback Score

(Rant) I Guess T-Mobile Doesn't Want New Customers

Tried to activate a new line with T-Mobile unlimited. The cheapest being MetroPCS. First tried to order a SIM online. Nope, says "Find a Store." Mind you the closest store is 45 miles away from me. Ok, I guess I'll try T-Mobile prepaid. Picked up a SIM from a local convenience store. Go onto the site to try to activate it and get almost all the way to checkout, and the Next button is greyed out for reasons I'm not sure of. I filled everything out correctly and fully. Chatted with an agent. They said they could help. Great. Go to give them the IMEI and ICCID, and they tell me that the SIM card isn't valid. What? I just went through the activation portal with it saying the SIM was valid. He offers to ship me a new SIM, but I need this thing going by this weekend and can't wait.

Frustrated at this point, I hop down to the same store and pick up a Simple Mobile SIM. Everything activates just fine. Sure, it's owned by Verizon now and will likely be phased out or transitioned at some point, and sure it costs a little bit more than getting MetroPCS or T-Mobile, but it baffles me how they can't make this stuff as simple as Simple Mobile Sure, they got me as a wholesale customer, but they could have had me as a direct customer if they didn't make me jump through so many dumb hoops.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    US mobile has T-Mobile and Verizon you can usually get a pair of them free with code

Feedback Score
    I've heard good things about US Mobile, so I might order some Sims to keep in my drawer for a rainy day.

What really baffles me is why Metro by T-Mobile pushes prospective customers to visit a store. Not everyone wants to deal with crooked dealers and/or amateurs who know far less than the average HoFo-er. And they typically charge an activation for the nuisance of it as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    What really baffles me is why Metro by T-Mobile pushes prospective customers to visit a store. Not everyone wants to deal with crooked dealers and/or amateurs who know far less than the average HoFo-er. And they typically charge an activation for the nuisance of it as well.
    Metro by T-mobile likes to make you go to a store so the agents can stick you with activation fees and try to upsell you with phone insurance plans and other services. They have lots of "get a free phone" offers but most of them aren't available online.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Metro by T-mobile likes to make you go to a store so the agents can stick you with activation fees and try to upsell you with phone insurance plans and other services. They have lots of "get a free phone" offers but most of them aren't available online.
    I suspect that Metro has cut dealer commissions and markups so low that dealers have to charge inflated fees and sell overpriced "mandatory" accessories to survive. To keep the dealers in business while paying them peanuts Metro forces customers to dealers as much as possible. It's a broken business model that's unfair to both dealers and customers.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    What really baffles me is why Metro by T-Mobile pushes prospective customers to visit a store.
    From what I have read, it's a quid pro quo - MetrobyTMobile can't serve enough customers through their corporate stores alone, so they need Metro dealers.

And to get those dealers, they have to make it attractive to become a Metro dealer, so they have to promise to keep a certain proportion of deals as in-store deals. Because otherwise, everyone will do online Metro deals and no one will visit Metro dealers.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    From what I have read, it's a quid pro quo - MetrobyTMobile can't serve enough customers through their corporate stores alone, so they need Metro dealers.

And to get those dealers, they have to make it attractive to become a Metro dealer, so they have to promise to keep a certain proportion of deals as in-store deals. Because otherwise, everyone will do online Metro deals and no one will visit Metro dealers.
    I can understand that part. What I don't understand is how Cricket dealers survive. I've called Cricket dealers before to see if they can match online deals for phones, and they never could do that. I guess most of their customers pay cash or find the whole online process confusing?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Also, last I checked, Metro SIM cards were available at my local Walmart. Better than having to visit a shady dealer and get robbed both inside the store and out.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Picked up a SIM from a local convenience store. Go onto the site to try to activate it and get almost all the way to checkout, and the Next button is greyed out for reasons I'm not sure of. I filled everything out correctly and fully. Chatted with an agent. They said they could help. Great. Go to give them the IMEI and ICCID, and they tell me that the SIM card isn't valid. What? .
    Just going back to where you started. 2 things that immediately popped to my mind.
    Regarding sim's from convenience type stores. Maybe the clerk didn't scan the sim pack correctly. There's the bar code for the checkout price and there's a bar code to validate the sim. Same for phones you buy there. There have been several cases on here where the validation bar code was not done properly by unknowing clerks. I know you got a Simple Mobile sim from the same place later that worked ok. Maybe a different clerk or sometime some carrier sims are pre scanned for validation.

#2. T-Mobile sims have expiration dates. In a convenience store how long could it have been hanging there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Also, last I checked, Metro SIM cards were available at my local Walmart. Better than having to visit a shady dealer and get robbed both inside the store and out.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Lucky you. My local Walmart only has Walmart Family Mobile for T-Mobile compatible Sims. That was going to be my plan D if Simple Mobile didn't work. Mostly because I try to avoid the crowds of Walmart for something like a Sim card if I can avoid it. Nope, if you want Metro in my area, gotta go to a dealer a county or two away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just going back to where you started. 2 things that immediately popped to my mind.
    Regarding sim's from convenience type stores. Maybe the clerk didn't scan the sim pack correctly. There's the bar code for the checkout price and there's a bar code to validate the sim. Same for phones you buy there. There have been several cases on here where the validation bar code was not done properly by unknowing clerks. I know you got a Simple Mobile sim from the same place later that worked ok. Maybe a different clerk or sometime some carrier sims are pre scanned for validation.

#2. T-Mobile sims have expiration dates. In a convenience store how long could it have been hanging there.
    That would make sense if the Sim didn't validate just fine at first, but it showed compatible on their website and then wasn't later when I tried it again. I thought it was either "burned" or got caught in some reserve status.

And while the Sims were getting close to being expired, they still had a few months left.

Feedback Score
    That would make sense if the Sim didn't validate just fine at first, but it showed compatible on their website and then wasn't later when I tried it again. I thought it was either "burned" or got caught in some reserve status.

And while the Sims were getting close to being expired, they still had a few months left.
    I guess unless being compatible is different then being valid for activation. Who knows in the cellular world. Just strange that a sim for TM wouldn't be valid on TM itself but an TM/mvno sim would be ok on the mvno.

Device(s)
    Iphone XS, Google Pixel 6, Motorola G power 2021
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Metro and most prepaid is good for a single line. I need three lines and Wifi calling so I am going to get regular T-Mobile. I live in south Florida where MetroPCS started so I am good on the coverage.

Sent from my TECNO KG5j using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    Metro and most prepaid is good for a single line. I need three lines and Wifi calling so I am going to get regular T-Mobile. I live in south Florida where MetroPCS started so I am good on the coverage.

Sent from my TECNO KG5j using HoFo mobile app
    Have you checked US Mobile? Shared data plan, 3 lines, unlimited T&T, 9GB shared data $47. You can pick more or less data. Includes Wifi calling and hotspot. Don't know how that compares.