Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Iphone 12 a decent phon?

Feedback Score

Is Iphone 12 a decent phon?

I know nothing about Iphones but since Tracfone is starting to activate eSims on Iphones I'm considering one. Is the Iphone 12 getting to be a little old? Or is a 13 better? I'm not interested in getting the latest one. Not gonna spend that kind of money on a phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I know nothing about Iphones but since Tracfone is starting to activate eSims on Iphones I'm considering one. Is the Iphone 12 getting to be a little old? Or is a 13 better? I'm not interested in getting the latest one. Not gonna spend that kind of money on a phone.
    No, iPhone 12 is not getting to be old. iPhones get a lot more updates than Android phones. An iPhone XR thats 4 years old is still eligible for IOS updates. iPhone 12 will be good for several years.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe some iPhones users can chime in, but my impression is that the iPhone 12 has problems with charging or short battery duration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Maybe some iPhones users can chime in, but my impression is that the iPhone 12 has problems with charging or short battery duration.
    I don't have experience with the iPhone 12, but I believe that most of the battery concerns were with the 12 mini. I'm also pretty sure that the overlap of people for whom that would be an issue and those that read this site is probably pretty small. For reference, I charge my XR once or twice a week. It takes a few hours to go from 20-30% to ~90%. After 16 months checking battery health shows I'm still at 100% capacity. I'm planning on getting a mini when my points vest, and have zero concerns about battery life. YMMV of course.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Battery life concerns are related to the 12 Mini, it has a rather small battery and probably isn’t a good choice for someone who is constantly using their phone. It’s also the only iPhone 12 Trac carries right now.

As a light user I average about 3 or 4 days between charges on mine, but I also turn off 5G and I’m very selective about which apps I allow to use background data. Other than the battery, it’s an excellent, modern phone and I particular like the small form factor which easily fits in a pocket.

Feedback Score
    I am hoping the iphone 12 prices drop across the board when the 14 comes out soon. The closer it gets to $300 the more I would take it to cash out some points. Maybe $399 or less is possible if the 14 comes out in late September as people expect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    If it's just eSim that you want, I know my mom's iPhone XR has an eSim. The iPhone 11 does, too.

From what I've read, it's 5G that becomes available starting with the iPhone 12.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    If it's just eSim that you want, I know my mom's iPhone XR has an eSim. The iPhone 11 does, too.
    While the XR and 11 have eSIM, TF said they would support eSIM only in iPhone 12 and later.

Feedback Score
    There are also other MVNOs that only support eSIM in iPhone 12 or higher. I have an XR, used to have an SE 2020, worked fine but apparently the tech changed some on the Apple side to make the 12+ easier for them to implement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    There are also other MVNOs that only support eSIM in iPhone 12 or higher. I have an XR, used to have an SE 2020, worked fine but apparently the tech changed some on the Apple side to make the 12+ easier for them to implement.
    That's worrying, for my mom with her iPhone XR. The eSIM is her reason to stick with the phone, her hope being that she will be able to activate the eSIM in a hurry if she ever needs to.

So is the eSIM in the iPhone XR basically useless?

Also, if MVNOs decide to *not* support eSIM in older iPhones, it seems really unfair to people who bought those phones specifically because of the eSIM. I wonder if anything can be done about it.

BTW pitflyer, so when you say "worked fine" above, are you saying that the eSIM in the XR and SE2020 worked fine? Thanks!

Is there a way to find out which carriers/MVNOs support eSIM on which models? Thank you for any info anyone can provide about all these questions!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the iPhone 12 Pro and my family still has the iPhone 12 since I traded in their old iPhones about 1.5 years ago and the 12 became free after trade in credit. I also had a 12 mini.

Yes, the 12's battery life on 5G is not great. I guess it's a combination of the then-new 5G chipset and A14 processor, but there was a significant dip in battery life coming from my 11. I'd buy it for the right price with the consideration that the battery life won't be as good. My 13 Pro battery life is much better but it did cost me $100 to trade up from my 12 Pro - worth it for me. Aside from battery life, the 12 is good.. it's light, fast, and comes in a bunch of different colors. The 12 mini battery life is atrocious though, I'd steer clear of it. I traded mine in for the 13 mini for about $70 and that was very worthwhile.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Galaxy S21 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    That's worrying, for my mom with her iPhone XR. The eSIM is her reason to stick with the phone, her hope being that she will be able to activate the eSIM in a hurry if she ever needs to.

So is the eSIM in the iPhone XR basically useless?

Also, if MVNOs decide to *not* support eSIM in older iPhones, it seems really unfair to people who bought those phones specifically because of the eSIM. I wonder if anything can be done about it.

BTW pitflyer, so when you say "worked fine" above, are you saying that the eSIM in the XR and SE2020 worked fine? Thanks!

Is there a way to find out which carriers/MVNOs support eSIM on which models? Thank you for any info anyone can provide about all these questions!
    I'm using a DENT Wireless eSIM on my TF unlocked XR. Works great. I don't know why TF is only supporting 12 and higher.

Feedback Score
    It's an odd little list -- there are very few Androids that are supported with eSIM. If you have an older iPhone X Series or SE 2020 you have a few more choices, but the list grows more with iPhone 12 or higher. Places like Dent, Airalo, etc, all seem to support any eSIM capable phone since they provide _only_ data service (no talk or text). But to get full US based service, the list shrinks based on the carrier.

Even Google Fi, which explicitly supports eSIM on its Pixel devices, has mixed success with eSIM on Samsung for example. However, I'm also a big eSIM proponent especially for the whole 'two or three networks' thing (I try to have an ATT, TMO and VZW service available on one phone). I don't know of any master eSIM support list -- every carrier that says they support eSIM also supports a subset of them (except again for these data only based carriers from esimdb.com or esims.io that basically support anything with eSIM).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Even Google Fi, which explicitly supports eSIM on its Pixel devices, has mixed success with eSIM on Samsung for example.
    Yep, the current crop of Samsung S22 models sold by Fi have eSIM but Fi doesn't have eSIM support for them yet. People can get T-mo (and maybe Visible) eSIM working on them though.

Device(s)
    Iphone XS, Google Pixel 6, Motorola G power 2021
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The only thing is the 13 starts at double the storage at 128GB. The 12 has 64GB starting storage starting. Usually when buying a iphone from TracFone it's the base model.

Sent from my TECNO KG5j using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast