Thread: Android update

Feedback Score

Android update

Is it possible to get an OTA Android update on a unlocked phone or must I a get an ATT sim?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    FWIW: I use a Samsung Tab S7+ with no carrier branding, but I do get Android updates via Wi-Fi on that device. I do not have any cellular access with my tablet. It updated to Android 12 on its own (it did notify me before installing) and I still get security patches. Clearly, you don't need a SIM to get updates as long as you connect to Wi-Fi.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ocala View Post
    Is it possible to get an OTA Android update on a unlocked phone or must I a get an ATT sim?
    I have some old and some new unlocked Androids that don't have any service on them.

Some of the newer ones, but not all of them, do get updates even without having a sim. So I think it depends on the phone manufacturer and phone model, not on whether the phone has an active sim.

I guess that's how it'll work with Cricket too.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Mine is an LG phone. This model was slated to get the next 2 Android updates, 12 and 13. I know that this phone model with Verizon service is getting Android 12. I guess since LG is out of the phone business I am at their whim as to when the update rolls out.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Google Pixel 4a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Branded devices need an active AT&T sim to receive updates. AT&T updated the OTA server so that when you have an AT&T branded device, when the device phones home to the OTA server the OTA server now checks the MCC/MNC and if it's not 310-410 no updates will be pushed. Cricket btw is 310-170.

The only carriers known to allow AT&T devices to phone home and successfully receive AT&T OTA's are: Boost(AT&T) 310-410, Red Pocket GSMA(310-410), Straight Talk AT&T(Being discontinued and replaced with ST Verizon), AT&T Prepaid, Freeup mobile, and a few more.

Phones that are bought from a retailer and not tied to a Carrier will update no matter what Carrier their currently on.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity 400 Meg per second Internet plan, Roku Ultra for Streaming.

Landline: N/A

Mobile Entertainment: US Mobile for Primary Service, T-Mobile business for secondary phone.

Want to save money and join a Postpaid family plan? Try Circledin where you can get Post Paid service on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon but for family plan pricing vs. full price. You get savings, carriers get Postpaid adds and everyone wins.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for that information.