Thread: How do i force google voice to call even if bad connection?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

How do i force google voice to call even if bad connection?

i'm overseas and i'm trying to call to USA over wifi and gv says:
    your internet connection is unstable. gv has to place this call through your carrier network.

carrier network wont work because i dont have international calling capability!
    thats why i'm using wifi.
    How do i force GV to call?!

and if i cant use GV for wifi calling, can someone recommend me a wifi calling app that will work for my situation?
    THX!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How about Skype or Whatsapp?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Somehow, even after 5-1/2 years of using my GV # over WiFi (and over mobile data when away from WiFi), I've never experienced that failed to place call issue. Sometimes I do get an "Unstable Network" warning while already in a call, both on WiFi and mobile data, even when there appears to be no reason for it, but the conversation is able to continue.

I use a 2GB/mo, $10/mo T-Mobile Postpaid data only SIM, both in the US and internationally, with the added benefit that it includes unlimited 256Kbps worldwide, which is plenty for using GV. That might be something for you to consider the next time you travel internationally.

All that said, for whatever it was worth, are you using a VPN? If so, turn that off and try again.

Where are you currently? Sometimes local cheap data only SIMs are available.

If you're using a phone with eSIM, you could use https://dent.app.link/56s9Z1Ufzsb to get a free 1GB of international roaming data when you sign up as a new customer for Dent. That link prompts you to install the Dent app and sign up, which will give a total of 1.2GB. I recently did that, and now have Dent as a backup data source on the eSIM of my Pixel 3a XL, and it works fine for GV.

Finally, I also use TextNow, which is similar to GV, in that it can call and text real phone #s. But you may or may not be able to sign up and install it from your current location. It would have been better to do that while you were still in the US, but it might be worth checking to see if it's available from where you are now.

Feedback Score
    I have never traveled internationally but am wondering if like in the US different places offer WIFI. Examples where I live are McDonald's and our public library. Could changing location in that way get you on a better WIFI connection and thus connect with GV?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    I have never traveled internationally but am wondering if like in the US different places offer WIFI. Examples where I live are McDonald's and our public library. Could changing location in that way get you on a better WIFI connection and thus connect with GV?
    That's a good suggestion, and is worth trying, if fstuff hasn't already.