Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did TracFone sell me a refurb when I paid for new?

Device(s)
    LG 5300
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Did TracFone sell me a refurb when I paid for new?

I bought 3 phones on the TracFone web site on Sunday night. Wednesday they got here. The iPhone and the Samsung phones came in one box, and they were both packaged in retail boxes that you would see at any store. The Moto G Pure was shipped in a separate smaller box. Inside that shipping box was the Moto G... not inside a retail box, but slipped inside a bubblewrap envelope. I called them and they swear this is a new phone, but I don't believe them. Is there any way to check this?

Feedback Score
    Somewhere there might be a lifetime uptimer. If somebodies used the phone before you there should extra unaccounted hours there. But if it was never turned on, then no.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I never had that problem. The new phones always came in sealed retail boxes. The refurbished phones came in white cardboard boxes, with a bubble-wrap envelope the size of the phone. The while box usually has a sticker that says 90-day warranty on it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you absolutely sure you ordered and paid for a new Moto G? How is it listed on your invoice? Because yes, that's almost certainly a refurb.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Galaxy Z Flip4
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50)

Feedback Score
    There was a discussion a few months ago about the Pures in white boxes in this thread:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ne-SE-recently

I don't think it was ever clarified. I couldn't find any uptime counter on mine.

Feedback Score
    Somewhere either that or it's called something like Lifetime Usage Statistics.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    This may or may not be relevant, so please disregard if not.

I've ordered 3 TF Moto G Pure phones, 1 from eBay with a 1500/1500/1500/1Year bundle, and the 2-pack, each with a 1500/1500/1500/1Year bundle, for $59.99 for both from HSN when on sale and using a $50 new customer referral coupon.

All 3 came in TF / Moto retail box / packaging.

Did the Pure you received in bubble wrap also come with a Moto power brick and USB-A to USB-C cable, and the TF / Moto documentation?

Device(s)
    LG 5300
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the replies above. So, in order, member zapjb mentioned the phone timer. I checked it and it shows only a few minutes. But let's say that this phone was first used on Verizon Wireless and then when it was returned to them, it got wiped and reprogrammed with TracFone software... I wonder if that could reset the timer to zero.

Member hpham said "refurbished phones came in white cardboard boxes, with a bubble-wrap envelope the size of the phone. The while box usually has a sticker that says 90-day warranty on it." *My* Moto G came in a white carboard box, with the phone in a bubblewrap envelope. There's no sticker on the outside or inside the box talking about a 90 day warranty. I've bought several TracFones over the last few years, and new phones simply aren't sold this way.

Member Island Boy said "Are you absolutely sure you ordered and paid for a new Moto G? How is it listed on your invoice?" At the time I ordered, it didn't specify that the phone was new (the phone is still for sale on the TracFone web site for $59). The reconditioned phones are down below, and clearly say reconditioned and they are cheaper and require a plan purchase to buy them.

Member NewbieDewbie provided a link to a similar thing that happened and it made for interesting reading. Someone on that thread (Tracfoner) said that Refurb phones ship from Cooper General - Direct Sales. Well, the return address on the white box says TRACFONE - WARREX and a reverse lookup of the address shows that Cooper General is at that address. I'm guessing that WARREX stands for Warranty Exchange?

Member Boz1: Yes, my phone came with Moto power brick and USB-A to USB-C cable, and the TF / Moto documentation.

New info: I looked up the IMEI on imei.info and on imei24 dot com. Both say that the warranty started on the phone on December 9 2021 and ends a year later. I have two other Motorola phones (Moto e7 bought from TracFone and a Moto 36 bought from Visible), and the warranty dates coincide with the day I bought the phone (or activated it). The fact that these sites are reporting a December 2021 activation is disturbing. Also the fact that the two new phones came in a brown box from TracFone in Plainfield Indiana (both in retail boxes), and this one came from the facility known to process refurbs. The other two new phones in this order, they already added 10,000 rewards points for each one but not for this phone.

Not sure what to do next. I bought the phone with rewards points and paid about $10 overage with a credit card. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to just refund me $10 if I return it since rewards points aren't refundable. Their rules say *I* have to pay postage for a return. If I exchange, will they just send me another refurb... I don't trust these people at all. I've had success with the Better Business Bureau when dealing with them in the past. I don't feel like spending any more time dealing with them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With the WARREX thing and the warranty info started on Dec 9, 2021 it sure sounds like the phone was returned, TF inspected it and deem "good as new" and resells it as "new". Quite shady. A bad side effect is you might not get new-line points if TF system still has its prior activation activity. Real lousy deal.

Feedback Score
    With the December 2021 date I agree it's used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard7 View Post
    Not sure what to do next. I bought the phone with rewards points and paid about $10 overage with a credit card. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to just refund me $10 if I return it since rewards points aren't refundable. Their rules say *I* have to pay postage for a return. If I exchange, will they just send me another refurb... I don't trust these people at all. I've had success with the Better Business Bureau when dealing with them in the past. I don't feel like spending any more time dealing with them.
    I ordered an iPhone SE 2020 ($199.99) and 2 refurb Samsung Galaxy A20 ($49.99 each) with $300 off coupon in May 2021. One of the A20s had broken back cover (one corner detached). Trying to get a replacement and spending hours on the phone with CS. They wanted me to returned all 3 phones for refund/reissue of points (citing they couldn't do replacement for one because I used a coupon). I didn't trust their refund/return process so I let it go. The phone still turned on so I activated it to get 7,000 add-a-line bonus points and never touched it again.

Feedback Score
    I just checked mine on imei info: I have a 1 year factory warranty that started on March 21, 2022. The phone shipped from La Vergne, TN on March 3.

If you check Settings>About phone>Up time, that just shows the time that it's been on since the last boot.
    "So, in order, member zapjb mentioned the phone timer. I checked it and it shows only a few minutes. But let's say that this phone was first used on Verizon Wireless and then when it was returned to them, it got wiped and reprogrammed with TracFone software... I wonder if that could reset the timer to zero."

Feedback Score
    My G Power 2022 I bought recently from TracFone came in a white box. I believe it's new, it just cheaper for TracFone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiedewbie View Post
    The phone shipped from La Vergne, TN on March 3.
    Cooper General in La Vergne, TN is a cellphone recycler/refurbisher. I don't think they sell/ship new phones.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    My G Power 2022 I bought recently from TracFone came in a white box. I believe it's new, it just cheaper for TracFone.
    That may be true, but sadly, maynard7 said the two different IMEI check sites above show that the warranty on the Moto G Pure received started in December, 2021.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast