Thread: Finally, a U.S. carrier – T-Mobile – touts the power of eSIM

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Finally, a U.S. carrier – T-Mobile – touts the power of eSIM

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    How does eSim work if you want to change phones every few days? With my sim card, I just pop it out and in of different phones.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is designed more for 'sales'. if you break your device, I don't think you could transfer your esim.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    This is designed more for 'sales'. if you break your device, I don't think you could transfer your esim.

I think you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    I think you can

Let me clarify. You might be able to ... but not on the fly. Eg. If I'm up hiking, and a break my phone with an eSIM, and I have a spare phone. I can't just 'pull the sim and stick it in the other phone', I have to have some form of service to move that eSIM over to your other phone. One with Emergency / No SIM and one that's broken won't help unless there's possibly a WiFi nearby.

Feedback Score
    So, you can transition an eSim from one phone to another if you have wifi? What's the process and how long does it take?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    So, you can transition an eSim from one phone to another if you have wifi? What's the process and how long does it take?
    TBH, I have never tried. I'm going to assume a couple of things here:
    1. You have to have 'some' form of internet connection to obtain an eSIM, or through tether
    2. If you had a working phone, and were to get an eSIM from T-MObile ... how would you 'obtain it' if not through some form of internet (cellular or wifi).

My point was meant to be that if my 'primary' phone was broken, I couldn't just grab my spare and transfer the eSIM over because...
    - primary phone isn't working (can't phone 2 phone wifi/tether)
    - backup phone has no sim/eSIM to have service to be able to obtain the eSIM
    This is where physical still works ... use a paperclip/staple, eject the old sim, insert into new phone, and you're back in business.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    TBH, I have never tried. I'm going to assume a couple of things here:
    1. You have to have 'some' form of internet connection to obtain an eSIM, or through tether
    2. If you had a working phone, and were to get an eSIM from T-MObile ... how would you 'obtain it' if not through some form of internet (cellular or wifi).

My point was meant to be that if my 'primary' phone was broken, I couldn't just grab my spare and transfer the eSIM over because...
    - primary phone isn't working (can't phone 2 phone wifi/tether)
    - backup phone has no sim/eSIM to have service to be able to obtain the eSIM
    This is where physical still works ... use a paperclip/staple, eject the old sim, insert into new phone, and you're back in business.
    1. Is true, you need a wifi connection on the device to download the esim profile.

Esims are a pain honestly. You cannot switch freely, you have to log into your account, and download the esim profile to your device. Where this becomes an issue sometimes as well is TMobile requires a text verification for every sim transfer. If someone accidentally deleted their esim profile from their device, they have no way to receive the text verification.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ทTทททMobileท USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    1. Is true, you need a wifi connection on the device to download the esim profile.

Esims are a pain honestly. You cannot switch freely, you have to log into your account, and download the esim profile to your device. Where this becomes an issue sometimes as well is TMobile requires a text verification for every sim transfer. If someone accidentally deleted their esim profile from their device, they have no way to receive the text verification.

on iOS devices, if you're signed into the same Apple ID, you can actually just do it through settings.

It still requires WiFi, but it's much easier than logging into myT-Mobile.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Feedback Score

why not ? you can transfer to SIM or another eSIM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    why not ? you can transfer to SIM or another eSIM
    If i break or drown my existing phone, i can just pop the physical SIM out, insert into my backup phone and be up and running
    transfer to SIM (unless you have a spare SIM available, you have to visit a store to get one). eSIM, you need a phone with eSIM support and internet connection

of course, on the flip side, if you drop your phone into the ocean (it's lost), it's easier to activate an eSIM (versus finding a spare SIM to activate)

also, some providers charge for eSIM activation/transfer (that's how they make money now)

Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    for most eSIM providers, yes

there are two ways around this for brandnew devices, but doesnt solve your need:
    1) eSIM bootstrap profile (aka your phone/device already has the provider pre-configured... i guess Apple/android could do this for carrier-sold/branded devices, but doesn't solve issue for other providers)
    https://web.truphone.com/technology/bootstrap/
    2) eSIM discovery service (still requires device to be pre-configured by provider, so that doesn't solve your issue)
    https://www.gsma.com/services/esim-discovery/

there are a few anecdotes of this happening - user reset iPhone, but cannot receive 2FA to activate apple ID (in order to restore iphone backup)

need a few days for apple to do this (of course it's always user fault for not having another 2FA backup)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    If i break or drown my existing phone, i can just pop the physical SIM out, insert into my backup phone and be up and running
    transfer to SIM (unless you have a spare SIM available, you have to visit a store to get one). eSIM, you need a phone with eSIM support and internet connection

of course, on the flip side, if you drop your phone into the ocean (it's lost), it's easier to activate an eSIM (versus finding a spare SIM to activate)

also, some providers charge for eSIM activation/transfer (that's how they make money now)

for most eSIM providers, yes

there are two ways around this for brandnew devices, but doesnt solve your need:
    1) eSIM bootstrap profile (aka your phone/device already has the provider pre-configured... i guess Apple/android could do this for carrier-sold/branded devices, but doesn't solve issue for other providers)
    https://web.truphone.com/technology/bootstrap/
    2) eSIM discovery service (still requires device to be pre-configured by provider, so that doesn't solve your issue)
    https://www.gsma.com/services/esim-discovery/

there are a few anecdotes of this happening - user reset iPhone, but cannot receive 2FA to activate apple ID (in order to restore iphone backup)

need a few days for apple to do this (of course it's always user fault for not having another 2FA backup)
    I agree, it is technically user error, but still a pain compared to conventional physical sims to deal with. Generally you can contact tforce and they can reactivate the esim on their end and send you the QR code to redownload it, they are able to send the 2FA code to the email on file rather than the number, but again, still a pain compared to physical SIM card, but, it is the way the industry is heading. Since Apple has went to esim only on the 14’s, Samsung will go esim only on the S23 lineup I’m sure. The bigger pain is if you have more than one line on the account, and you frequently switch what device you want your main sim/number in. I get this is a niche circumstance, but it is a pain to switch between lines on an account with esim. It sort of reminds me of the old sprint/Verizon CDMA days of switching devices.

Last edited by Theghostlad82; 09-11-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree .. this reminds me of going back to registering ESN on CDMA. I will agree on the one part... if your physical sim gets damaged (falls into the ocean), you don't have to find a store to get a replacement, just wifi.