Thread: R765 help

Device(s)
    moto classic brick
    Feedback Score

R765 help

Is this subforum even monitored? lol

I got a R765is the other day. I don't know where to start. What cable do I use, and what CPS/RSS do I use? I am assuming the old iDen suite, but this looks more like a radio than a phone.

I have been reading for about a week now, and just haven't found much on this thing; not even a service manual!

Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I found a Motorola device that supported Nextel service with that model #. I did a search for Motorola R765 without any difficulty finding the online manual. Is that the device? Are you trying to activate it? Who is your cellular carrier? You may be able to pair it up with another one, but doubtful that you can connect to any modern phone/device. The iDen technology was briefly supported by Sprint, but they were bought out by T-Mobile about 2 years ago and that ship has sailed.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    moto classic brick
    Feedback Score

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I found a Motorola device that supported Nextel service with that model #. I did a search for Motorola R765 without any difficulty finding the online manual. Is that the device? Are you trying to activate it? Who is your cellular carrier? You may be able to pair it up with another one, but doubtful that you can connect to any modern phone/device. The iDen technology was briefly supported by Sprint, but they were bought out by T-Mobile about 2 years ago and that ship has sailed.
    Hi!
    The user manual was pretty easily obtained. I am looking for the service manual, and the correct cable to program it. Also, what software would be used.

I am not trying to activate it; I'm not sure that it's possible to use it as a cellular phone any longer. I am interested in the mototalk/direct connect side of it; basically I'm experimenting with a deprecated device and system. It's bugging me because it's like the entire knowledge base of these things fell off a cliff ten years ago; I've NEVER had so much difficulty researching any other motorola product, no matter its age.

Also, I did read that a guy in Florida tried to resurrect the 'Nextel' branding a couple of years ago, but I'm not certain he was trying to use the iDen ecosystem to make it happen.

At any rate, thanks for responding!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is an article from Wikipedia about iDen. You might find it useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDEN