Thread: Best plan for variable 1-5GB usage?

Feedback Score

Best plan for variable 1-5GB usage?

My usage patterns are bimodal. Either 1GB of data is enough, or I will need 3GB or more data for that month. Talk/text is limited. Any recommendation for plans that allow for this type of usage pattern? Prefer T-Mo > Verizon > ATT.

Feedback Score
    Tello (TM MVNO)
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroAsc View Post
    My usage patterns are bimodal. Either 1GB of data is enough, or I will need 3GB or more data for that month. Talk/text is limited. Any recommendation for plans that allow for this type of usage pattern? Prefer T-Mo > Verizon > ATT.
    How often do you go over 1GB?

I only go over 1GB when on vacation. I have a dual sim phone and when I vacation outside the US I get a local sim and when I vacation in the US I get an unlimited data T-Mobile prepaid sim off eBay for $27.50. I just switch the data over to the new sim and keep calls and texts on my main sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessknight View Post
    How often do you go over 1GB?

I only go over 1GB when on vacation. I have a dual sim phone and when I vacation outside the US I get a local sim and when I vacation in the US I get an unlimited data T-Mobile prepaid sim off eBay for $27.50. I just switch the data over to the new sim and keep calls and texts on my main sim.
    Maybe 3 mths in a year and only when I'm traveling

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    If you are organized and / or have the ability to remember to manually renew on time, Tello has rollover if you manually renew each plan cycle. That way, you can allow balances to build up in your low-usage times, and have larger built-up balances for the times you need to use more.

https://tello.com/help_center :
    Will unused service carry over to the next month?
    Unused service WILL roll over ONLY if you manually renew or change your plan at least 24 hours before the end of your current billing cycle and ONLY if the new plan contains all the services that you previously had.

Feedback Score
    Twigby a Verizon MNVO. 1GB $15. 4Gb $20, 7GB $25. All plans have unlimited talk and text. Use the $15 plan most months and change to the bigger plan when you travel. They have 1/2 off for 3 months for new customers.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    US Mobile has pooled plan. Minimum is $9 for a line plus $2 for 1GB, total $11 with taxes. You can add additional data for $2/GB and as far as I know you can do it whenever you want, even in the middle of month.

US Mobile use Verizon or TMobile, you choose which Simcard you want. And if you have 5G capable phone all data will be premium in Verizon network, even if you fall back to LTE or 3G: https://www.usmobile.com/blog/unlimi...5g-warp-speed/

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroAsc View Post
    Maybe 3 mths in a year and only when I'm traveling
    There's the RedPocket $99 dollar annual plan that gives you 1GB a month, on the months you need more you can buy it for $15/GB. Or you can get a dual sim phone and during the 3 months you need more data buy an unlimited 30 day tmobile sim for the for $27.50 (that's what I do).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Moto E (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, Tracfone, TextNow, FreeUP Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nnd_newbie View Post
    US Mobile has pooled plan. Minimum is $9 for a line plus $2 for 1GB, total $11 with taxes. You can add additional data for $2/GB and as far as I know you can do it whenever you want, even in the middle of month.

US Mobile use Verizon or TMobile, you choose which Simcard you want. And if you have 5G capable phone all data will be premium in Verizon network, even if you fall back to LTE or 3G: https://www.usmobile.com/blog/unlimi...5g-warp-speed/
    AFAIK, the pooled plan is only offered on US Mobile's Verizon service.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    AFAIK, the pooled plan is only offered on US Mobile's Verizon service.
    Yeah, I think it's true. Didn't even try to activate it on T-Mobile network, because I wanted Verizon. But I can see on their blog that pool plan is Verizon exclusive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nnd_newbie View Post

Between this and Tello is my choice right now. Do you know if you used up 1GB if they will throttle to unlimited 3G speed, or is it a hard cap?

Feedback Score
    All information I found says US Mobile is hard capped. Though I've never hit the bottom so I can't confirm it from my own experience.
    Last edited by nnd_newbie; 09-09-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Feedback Score
    When I had Tello a while back, data wasn't hard-capped.
    I still got slow-speed data, and it was fast enough to use Google Voice.
    I don't know if that has changed now though.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Tello is not hard capped. Some say Tello's slowed speed is up to 64Kbps, which is what it was when Tello used Sprint, but it seems like 128Kbps is more standard for the T-Mobile network.