Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is 5Ge anyway?

Feedback Score

What is 5Ge anyway?

When my new Pixel 6a powered up, it showed 5Ge as the network instead of LTE that displayed on my outgoing Pixel 3a. The 6a is 5G compatible, but I knew that the prepaid plan doesn't support that, so obviously this 5Ge is not true 5G but rather some sort of "enhanced LTE". Anyone know the details?

For what it's worth, I actually wasn't interested in 5G since nothing I can imagine doing requires it, and it's reputed to be a battery killer to the point where some users look for a setting to turn it off.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    When my new Pixel 6a powered up, it showed 5Ge as the network instead of LTE that displayed on my outgoing Pixel 3a. The 6a is 5G compatible, but I knew that the prepaid plan doesn't support that, so obviously this 5Ge is not true 5G but rather some sort of "enhanced LTE". Anyone know the details?

For what it's worth, I actually wasn't interested in 5G since nothing I can imagine doing requires it, and it's reputed to be a battery killer to the point where some users look for a setting to turn it off.
    It is just what AT&T calls LTE Advanced which is an upgraded version of 4G LTE. It won't kill your battery any faster than regular LTE, but it should be a bit faster than regular LTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    5Ge = 5G extended, but as pointed out above it isn't truly 5G technology. At&t used the term 4Ge while still running on 3G previously. It is a marketing ploy and has no real substance. It makes people think they are using more advanced technology than they actually are. It reminds me of the expression "lipstick on a pig".
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    5Ge = 5G extended, but as pointed out above it isn't truly 5G technology. At&t used the term 4Ge while still running on 3G previously. It is a marketing ploy and has no real substance. It makes people think they are using more advanced technology than they actually are. It reminds me of the expression "lipstick on a pig".
    I never saw ATT use 4Ge. They just used 4G.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I never saw ATT use 4Ge. They just used 4G.
    They certainly did. I was still a CS rep for them when it happened. At the time, they were transitioning from 3G to 4G, not that they shut off 3G back then.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    So what would 4Ge have been? An even more advanced version of 3G?

Something I never saw. Something that I can't find any reference to using Google.

Are you sure you aren't referring to 4G LTE?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    So what would 4Ge have been? An even more advanced version of 3G?

Something I never saw. Something that I can't find any reference to using Google.

Are you sure you aren't referring to 4G LTE?
    Yes, I am certain it was a faster version of 3G and back then 4G was just rolling out. There were only a few devices capable of utilizing 4G back then and most users still had 3G devices. No, I am not referring to 4G LTE. I am certain it was merely an extension of 3G. Same smoke and mirrors, just different versions of technology.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I only ever saw 4G for HSPA+ and 3G for HSPA and earlier tech. Never saw 4Ge. When LTE came out, it was labelled LTE. EDGE was labelled EDGE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    I only ever saw 4G for HSPA+ and 3G for HSPA and earlier tech. Never saw 4Ge. When LTE came out, it was labelled LTE. EDGE was labelled EDGE.
    Keep in mind that when I was in CS, I dealt with accounts from dozens of calling markets. The old saying YMMV certainly applied. Some areas had complete coverage and others only had partial coverage back then, just like today. I do have a little bit of insight on the matter having worked for At&t.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that when I was in CS, I dealt with accounts from dozens of calling markets. The old saying YMMV certainly applied. Some areas had complete coverage and others only had partial coverage back then, just like today. I do have a little bit of insight on the matter having worked for At&t.
    I wasn't saying it didn't happen (maybe only on certain devices?) -- just that I never saw it. I did travel around the US at the time as I was working for a large newspaper company with about 30 locations, and I never saw 4Ge on Apple or Blackberry devices. Maybe it was an Android thing?

A google search turned up nothing helpful on the subject, so it must have been somewhat limited.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ironically, AT&T was originally against calling HSPA+ "4G" https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...marketing-hspa

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I am certain it was a faster version of 3G and back then 4G was just rolling out. There were only a few devices capable of utilizing 4G back then and most users still had 3G devices. No, I am not referring to 4G LTE. I am certain it was merely an extension of 3G. Same smoke and mirrors, just different versions of technology.
    "4G" was the extension of 3G. At least in the states. Unless you are thinking of H and H+ for the data improvements.

When ATT went with "4G" for their improvements to 3G, I was running the iPhone 4 which didn't support them so it stayed on 3G. The 4s showed the 4G, but I didn't buy another iPhone until the 5. And never saw 4Ge when not in an LTE area.

So I stand by my claim that there was never anything called 4Ge that would show up on a phone's display. If there had been something would have shown up in a google search.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You don't have to agree with me, but have you ever worked for At&t customer service and had actual hands-on experience with them? I was with them from 2001 until about 2014. Actual experience trumps a Google search every time. At the time, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint didn't do it. I am done arguing the point. Have a good day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    OK. You gave no proof, it was obviously solely within ATT and never exposed to the outside world like 5Ge was. Good day.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is an article that talks about 4GE LTE: https://www.record-eagle.com/archive...413cbc31d.html dated Apr 2, 2014 Updated Jul 28, 2014. This supports what I said earlier. At that time LTE was data only and not used for voice, which was still 3G, at that time. It wasn't truly 4G until VOLTE (Voice over LTE) was implemented.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast