Thread: Rebranding Total Wireless iPhone SE

Feedback Score

Rebranding Total Wireless iPhone SE

Why are the phones so much cheaper on Total Wireless? The brand new iPhone SE 2020 is $149 at TW and $189 at Tracfone. If I buy the TW one to use on Tracfone, can anyone confirm whether it will still unlock after 60 days if I call to rebrand before activating on Tracfone? And just to confirm, after rebranding, I would just use the SIM that came with the phone, right?

The refurbished ones are also cheaper, but once you add in the required plan purchase, that takes away the savings. The refurbished SE is currently out of stock on Tracfone though.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you need to call to rebrand the phone. My post on 8/8/22.

I got a Total Wireless Moto e6 that was previously on TF/T-Mobile. TF kept sending me reminders to switch so recently I moved the phone # to a TF-branded phone with Verizon SIM. Today I inserted the original Verizon SIM that came with Moto e6, and started a chat with TF. First agent wanted my email to proceed so I left the chat. The second agent asked for my main phone # first to check my account, and a 6-digit verification code was sent to the #. She then asked for the IMEI and the Moto e6 was added to my account. I opened and closed the TF app a couple of times and saw additional 10,000 points pending. I then proceeded in app to activate the device with a $9.99 service PIN from TF eBay store. Thanked the agent and left the chat. Text UNLOCK to 611611 shows phone eligible to be unlocked in 60 days.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowLoris View Post
    Why are the phones so much cheaper on Total Wireless? The brand new iPhone SE 2020 is $149 at TW and $189 at Tracfone. If I buy the TW one to use on Tracfone, can anyone confirm whether it will still unlock after 60 days if I call to rebrand before activating on Tracfone? And just to confirm, after rebranding, I would just use the SIM that came with the phone, right?
    A phone on TW has always been cheaper than its counterpart on TF. I guess because the minimum monthly cost on TW is $25 while on TF you can use PAYGO and get by with as little as you can. It used to be that you couldn't use cheaper phones from TW, Net10 with TF.

While rebranding is not required to activate a TW on TF, there were reports of not-rebranded TW phones not getting unlocked after 60 days of service on TF. Crazy8SD's experience notwithstanding.

You use the original TW SIM when activating on TF.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Crazy8. That makes things easier. During the chat, did it come up that it was a TW phone? I don't want to port the number until early October, but maybe I can add it to their account by the end of September and activate later in the hope of getting the 10k.

And thanks, hpham, for the additional info.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Crazy8. That makes things easier. During the chat, did it come up that it was a TW phone? I don't want to port the number until early October, but maybe I can add it to their account by the end of September and activate later in the hope of getting the 10k.

And thanks, hpham, for the additional info.
    (I think I told the agent that I had a Tracfone family phone and would like it to be added to my main line #. You might want to add 'to activate at a later time'.) The agent checked the IMEI and verified it could be added. Once it's added, I activated it with a Tracfone plan right away. You could add it in September and wait till early October to activate it (hope OK for 10K), and the points should still vest 61 days after it was added. It still takes 60 days to unlock the phone after activation.

Feedback Score
    My account shows the device correctly, not 'Unknown Device'.
    Name:  TF MotoE6.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  25.9 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8SD View Post
    My account shows the device correctly, not 'Unknown Device'.
    Some other forum members had their TW phones treated as BYOP devices, and as such couldn't be unlocked. As always with TF....YMMV.

Feedback Score
    p.s. I chatted with an agent to add a Simple Mobile iPhone SE 2016 (on T-Mobile) to my account and transferred the service to a Verizon SIM they sent me. I asked for the phone to be branded, but the chat agent didn't seem to understand. I called later because the service wasn't working and asked again to rebrand the phone, multiple times. It was never rebranded. It showed as an 'Unknown Device' in my account. When I could text, UNLOCK to 611611 said not eligible.

Feedback Score
    $149 is cheap for an IPhone. Verizon Branded Prepaid IPhones were $249 in Walmart in July 22

Especially when you only need to put 30 days of service on the new device. Put it in a draw for 31 days and then request unlock.

The refurbished ones are also cheaper, but once you add in the required plan purchase, that takes away the savings. The refurbished SE is currently out of stock on Tracfone though.