Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T shutting down 5G Mid-band at night to save money, reduce energy consumption

Feedback Score

AT&T shutting down 5G Mid-band at night to save money, reduce energy consumption

Pretty interesting article that highlights some of the cost cutting efforts by ATT to reduce energy usage across its network

One of AT&T's new strategies to reduce its network energy consumption is to power down parts of its wireless network at night, when it's mostly unused.

Specifically, he said the operator is turning off its 5G radios working in midband spectrum. He said the operator's 5G radios in lowband spectrum remain powered on to handle whatever traffic the operator's customers generate during the night.

"It's relatively new to us," he said of the approach.
    Note: before you start freaking out, apparently this is fairly standard practice across all networks as part of 5G NR and is not unique to ATT (though they seem the most public about it). I don't believe it's a simple on/off timer that turns off power to the cell site, but rather, dynamically adjusts mid-band radios to put them into a deep sleep state, which can then crank back on if unexpected traffic hits (e.g. an emergency).

Net - you probably won't be seeing "5G+" during the late evening hours. Curious if anyone has seen this in action?

Feedback Score
    That's super cool and great news...

Now to put it into perspective through, we have approximately 1,300,000,000 motor vehicles on the planet, 99% of which are gasoline or diesel powered. We'd probably be much better off reducing those numbers, rather than thinking with cell towers transmission and availability per band protocols.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    I haven't gotten AT&T C-Band in my area yet, and it was just rolling out where I used to live before I moved in July, but that's an interesting move. I wonder if this continues with AT&T's reluctance to get into the fixed wireless internet business, unlike T-Mobile and Verizon. I'd guess that T-Mobile probably couldn't power down n41 as easily overnight as you'd be pushing all the traffic (home internet, phones, tablets, hotspots, connected devices, etc.) onto n71 or LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I don’t think anybody will have an issue with it. There’s really not too many people using the Internet or making phone calls late at night.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    That's super cool and great news...

Now to put it into perspective through, we have approximately 1,300,000,000 motor vehicles on the planet, 99% of which are gasoline or diesel powered. We'd probably be much better off reducing those numbers, rather than thinking with cell towers transmission and availability per band protocols.
    The people who have to spend 20k to 30k to replace the battery pack on their EV after 5 or 6 years may disagree with that

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    The people who have to spend 20k to 30k to replace the battery pack on their EV after 5 or 6 years may disagree with that
    What about all the metal for the batteries and power it will take to charge those EV's? They all better have solar roofs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    What about all the metal for the batteries and power it will take to charge those EV's? They all better have solar roofs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Haha, true.

I wonder though if certain sites that maintain heavy network traffic late, or in the middle of the night will keep all spectrum on air during that time. I would think there will be a threshold in place for bands to turn back on in those cases.

Feedback Score

AT&T shutting down 5G Mid-band at night to save money, reduce energy consumption

Sometimes I think people who try to make this argument are being purposely obtuse.. The mandate in California doesn’t even go into effect until 2035. Given that electric car batteries (in 2022) have an expected lifespan of approximately 15 years means that most people won’t need to begin replacing their batteries until about 2050. I highly doubt the cost to do so will be anywhere close to today’s $20k…

Yes, electric cars are currently expensive. But that extra expense will steadily decrease as the technology becomes ubiquitous….

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by bankerdentist; 09-16-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Sometimes I think people who try to make this argument are being purposely obtuse.. The mandate in California doesn’t even go into effect until 2035. Given that electric car batteries (in 2022) have an expected lifespan of approximately 15 years means that most people won’t need to begin replacing their batteries until about 2050. I highly doubt the cost to do so will be anywhere close to today’s $20k…

Yes, electric cars are currently expensive. But that extra expense will steadily decrease as the technology becomes ubiquitous….

Not to mention that batteries are under warranty for eight (8) years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Probably not that many people, in other words.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Given the range of an EV and their charge time, you guys can have them. Don't expect that to change much. Now.... back on topic please!

Feedback Score
    Given the range of an EV and their charge time, you guys can have them. Don't expect that to change much. Now.... back on topic please!
    Lol maybe you aren’t being purposely obtuse..

I think it’s great that AT&T is turning down 5G during times of low usage. Every little bit helps.

Feedback Score

Not entirely correct.

The California Zero Emission Vehicle law goes into effect in 2026 with a requirement that 35% of new vehicle sales be ZEV. That increases yearly to 100% in 2035. ZEV can use technology other than batteries, but the only other contender is hydrogen fuel cell which is a dead end tech. Essentially all ZEV will be BEV.

This is not just California. 17 other states already have or are considering laws that require following California rules.

I am all for BEVs for all who want them and can pay the higher price, but the supply is not here yet and is unlikely to get there to meet artificial virtue signaling mandates. There are zero BEVs for sale in my area without a many months wait list.

I have no problem with cell carriers not wasting electricity running unneeded transmitters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Not entirely correct.

The California Zero Emission Vehicle law goes into effect in 2026 with a requirement that 35% of new vehicle sales be ZEV. That increases yearly to 100% in 2035. ZEV can use technology other than batteries, but the only other contender is hydrogen fuel cell which is a dead end tech. Essentially all ZEV will be BEV.

This is not just California. 17 other states already have or are considering laws that require following California rules.

I am all for BEVs for all who want them and can pay the higher price, but the supply is not here yet and is unlikely to get there to meet artificial virtue signaling mandates. There are zero BEVs for sale in my area without a many months wait list.

I have no problem with cell carriers not wasting electricity running unneeded transmitters.
    The fact that you refer to a very commonsensical approach to reducing one of the biggest contributors to Co2 emissions as “artificial virtue signaling” pretty much shows that your opinion is based mostly on politically rhetoric and ignores most of the evidence that shows a switch to EV’s will not be nearly as disastrous as people like to claim.

Feedback Score
    The fact that you refer to a very commonsensical approach to reducing one of the biggest contributors to Co2 emissions as “artificial virtue signaling” pretty much shows that your opinion is based mostly on politically rhetoric and ignores most of the evidence that shows a switch to EV’s will not be nearly as disastrous as people like to claim.
    There is nothing commonsensical about enacting into law mandates that can't be achieved.

Insulting me for my opinion does nothing to change the fact that what you posted was woefully incomplete and incorrect.

Go ahead and live in your alternative reality where hand-waving virtue signaling accomplish anything useful.

I will not discuss this any further. It is off topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast